Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,799 members, 7,827,948 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church (1436 Views)

Paying January Salary To Pastors By Fr Kelvin Ugwu / Bishop Oyedepo To Pastors: "Don't Use Church Money To Fund Personal Lifestyle" / Daddy Freeze, Crazeclown: Doctor Saves Life In Theatre You Take Gifts To Pastors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by ediko5(m): 5:28pm On Mar 22, 2021
Yesterday my cousin dedicated his baby in a church (name withheld) - A popular non-Pentecostal church in South South Nigeria.

He told me the pastor demanded for 20k from him before he can dedicate the child as this is a custom of the church or he can go and buy the required items like chicken, tubers of Yam, creates of drink, carton of wine.

According to my cousin, the pastor said the least amount he collect is 50k, but he considered him because the mother of the baby died during the birth of the baby. I was shocked because the Pastor should have at least considered the circumstance of that baby.

Now, this is a practice by most non-Pentecostal churches during child dedication and wedding. The are some churches where a member will need to give bag of rice, goat, chickens, cartons of wine, malt, minerals in order for the church to fix a date for their child's dedication same goes to wedding.

I remember some years ago in my family church where a pastor publicly embarrassed a father during the dedication of his baby because the man gave him only few tiny yams and one chicken.
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by Kobojunkie: 5:31pm On Mar 22, 2021
ediko5:
Yesterday my cousin dedicated his baby in a church (name withheld) - A popular non-Pentecostal church in South South Nigeria.
He told me the pastor demanded for 20k from him before he can dedicate the child as this is a custom of the church or he can go and buy the required items like chicken, tubers of Yam, creates of drink, carton of wine.
According to my cousin, the pastor said the least amount he collect is 50k, but he considered him because the mother of the baby died during the birth of the baby. I was shocked because the Pastor should at least considered the circumstance of that baby.
Now, this is a practice by most non-Pentecostal churches during child dedication and wedding. The are some churches where a member will need to give bag of rice, goat, chickens, cartons of wine, malt, minerals in order for the church to fix a date for their child's dedication same goes to wedding.
I remember some years ago in my family church where a pastor publicly embarrassed a father during the dedication of his because the man gave him only few tiny yams and one chicken.
Church business is business and if the rule is that you must pay for service rendered, then you must pay if that service is of importance to you. You don't want them to make money or profit at the end of the day? undecided
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by Righteousness2(m): 5:35pm On Mar 22, 2021
It shouldn't be so.
Giving Shouldn't be Be by any Form of compulsion.
Giving for that should be willingly..
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by Hashabiah: 5:40pm On Mar 22, 2021
If this narrative is true, then it is a shame. Christians who fail to read their bibles will always be victims of such. But only the wise will understand.
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by ediko5(m): 5:41pm On Mar 22, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Church business is business and if the rule is that you must pay for service rendered, then you must pay if that service is of importance to you. You don't want them to make money or profit at the end of the day? undecided

Did you say Church Business?
So the church should raise money for it upkeep by extortion?

Some of these members have difficulty feeding their family. I'm not against giving to church but it should be made to be a free will donation.
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by Romanoff(f): 5:45pm On Mar 22, 2021
I've never heard it before.

The RCCG does not do it and I was literally born in the RCCG.

I've attended weddings and taken part in weddings, I am married and I've never heard that anyone has to pay a dime to pastors for wedding, naming and dedication.

Just package food for them and they'll be alright.
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by ediko5(m): 5:46pm On Mar 22, 2021
Hashabiah:
If this narrative is true, then it is a shame. Christians who fail to read their bibles will always be victims of such. But only the wise will understand.

Ask members of some non-Pentocostal. I have witnessed some, I don't want to mention church names here.
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by Hashabiah: 5:50pm On Mar 22, 2021
ediko5:

Ask members of some non-Pentocostal. I have witnessed some, I don't want to mention church names here.
But you have your bible and its contents? So why not read it and stop all this online disturbance. Or are you on another mission entirely?

1 Like

Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by ediko5(m): 5:53pm On Mar 22, 2021
Hashabiah:
But you have your bible and its contents? So why not read it and stop all this online disturbance. Or are you on another mission entirely?
What mission?
Did I tell you I don't understand what the Bible says?
What online disturbance I'm I causing?
Seems you're guilty of my post
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by obonujoker(m): 5:55pm On Mar 22, 2021
Lol
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by Hashabiah: 5:58pm On Mar 22, 2021
[s]
ediko5:

What mission?
Did I tell you I don't understand what the Bible says?
What online disturbance I'm I causing?
Seems you're guilty of my post
[/s] You talk like a fool. Read your bible and face your own salvation. Leave others to God ; for it is He that has the sole right to expose evil.
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by Kobojunkie: 6:28pm On Mar 22, 2021
ediko5:
Did you say Church Business?
So the church should raise money for it upkeep by extortion?

Some of these members have difficulty feeding their family. I'm not against giving to church but it should be made to be a free will donation.
Your churches are businesses like any other social business out there, and it is legal for them to charge a fee for any service offered. If those members have difficulty feeding their families, then they should consider not going to these church businesses in the first place. undecided
Jesus Christ did not command His followers to attend or sit in places called churches, so those who do, do it because they want to and they need to be willing to pay for the service that is provided them. Those businesses are not self-maintaining you know. undecided
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by KevMitnick: 6:48pm On Mar 22, 2021
Romanoff:
I've never heard it before.

The RCCG does not do it and I was literally born in the RCCG.

I've attended weddings and taken part in weddings, I am married and I've never heard that anyone has to pay a dime to pastors for wedding, naming and dedication.

Just package food for them and they'll be alright.

Lol... Don't be too quick to exonerate your church... I think it's an individual thingy; that is some pastors are naturally greedy for money or material things and will go as far as embarrassing or guilt tripping church members into giving money albeit not from their heart.

My friend got married last week and he did his thanksgiving RCCG, even after dancing and giving an envelope of money during the thanksgiving, the PP still publicly stated that he didn't pass his test of thanksgiving and insisted that he must bring "something" to thank God for the success of his wedding. The guy was angry and embarrassed. So it's like that in some places.

1 Like

Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by KevMitnick: 6:52pm On Mar 22, 2021
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by Romanoff(f): 6:52pm On Mar 22, 2021
KevMitnick:

Lol... Don't be too quick to exonerate your church... I think it's an individual thingy; that is some pastors are naturally greedy for money or material things and will go as far as embarrassing or guilt tripping church members into giving money albeit not from their heart.

My friend got married last week and he did his thanksgiving RCCG, even after dancing and giving an envelope of money during the thanksgiving, the PP still publicly stated that he didn't pass his test of thanksgiving and insisted that he must bring "something" to thank God for the success of his wedding. The guy was angry and embarrassed. So it's like that in some places.

I no longer attend the RCCG cause I got married and left.

But honestly, I've never heard it before.

Thanksgiving offering is between you and God. Too bad we have greedy pastors amongst the bunch.

1 Like

Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by ediko5(m): 7:32pm On Mar 22, 2021
Hashabiah:
[s][/s] You talk like a fool. Read your bible and face your own salvation. Leave others to God ; for it is He that has the sole right to expose evil.

Don't quote me again.
You're a schizophrenic person.
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by edoairways: 11:59pm On Mar 22, 2021
@ediko5 let me clear you on some things which many ignorant Nigerian Christians practice.
1.The celebration of child dedication. Though there are some bible verses that support dedication of children however most Christians choose what suit them not what the bible says.
Baby dedication is a tradition practiced in many protestant churches that includes an infant or child, parents and/or grandparents, a minister, and church congregation. Much variety is found in this practice, yet baby dedications commonly seek to challenge parents to commit themselves to raising their child in a godly manner, asking for God's blessing upon the child, and asking the church congregation to commit towards helping the family by providing a spiritual community assistant in the development of the child.
The New Testament does not include a specific practice or any commands related to a baby dedication. Therefore, it is not commanded or required for the parents of a child. The idea of dedicating a child to God can certainly be found in the Bible. For example, Hannah was a woman unable to bear a children. She prayed for a child and promised to dedicate him to the Lord if He would give her a son (1 Samuel 1:11). Joseph and Mary took baby Jesus to the temple for a dedication (Luke 2:22), a common practice under the Jewish law.
These verse listed didn't make it mandatory for Christians to dedicate their babies however they can if they choose to. The problem I have with many churches, is compulsory imposition of levies for child dedication. All these are unnecessary stress discourages people from dedicating their kids.
In reference to the bible verses on child dedication, Jesus Christ was dedicated on the 8th day after birth. How many Nigerian Christians dedicate their babies on that day? While you complain of your church doctrines, examine yourself well to see if you are following the scriptures.
2. There is the issue of church wedding. The bible never mandated Christians to have their weddings in the church. The only recognized wedding in the bible is the cultural wedding involving the bride's family and the groom's family. You may not necessarily involve your pastor in the union since there is no strong bible verse to back that. Please Christians should read their bible to grasp a better understanding of how things were done. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and other apostles of old stick to their cultural wedding not white wedding. Please don't complain when your church tax you. You should know how to apply wisdom especially as it relates to wedding
Aside this, they didn't wear wedding gowns and suite since that is the western way of wedding. Anybody who complains of church wedding on this platform or any, has himself to blame not the church. The bible is there for you to read and understand. If you lack wisdom, seek the holy spirit for guidance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by Kobojunkie: 12:33pm On Mar 23, 2021
Hashabiah:
[s][/s] You talk like a fool. Read your bible and face your own salvation. Leave others to God ; for it is He that has the sole right to expose evil.
God has the sole right to expose evil in what sense? undecided

Are you implying that when one who professes to believe in Jesus Christ, such alone should look the other way when he/she perceives evil taking place? undecided
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by Hashabiah: 12:36pm On Mar 23, 2021
[s]
Kobojunkie:

Are you implying that when one who professes to believe in Jesus Christ, such alone should look the other way when he/she perceives evil taking place? undecided
[/s] I have always known you to ask stupid questions that have no link to the topic at hand.
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by ediko5(m): 12:37pm On Mar 23, 2021
Kobojunkie:

I believe the man is guilty of my post. He's one of the judge not set of people.
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by Kobojunkie: 12:37pm On Mar 23, 2021
Hashabiah:
[s][/s] I have always known you to askbstupid questions have that no link to the topic at hand.
I think you need to go take your meds abeg!
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by Kobojunkie: 12:40pm On Mar 23, 2021
ediko5:

I believe the man is guilty of my post. He's one of the judge not set of people.
Judge not yet the same Jesus Christ said by their fruits you shall know them, implying that a need to judge the fruits of each of those who come in His name. undecided
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by ediko5(m): 1:34pm On Mar 23, 2021
@edoairways,

From your comment, you're discouraging child dedication in the church based on the scriptures, but you also wrote that Jesus Christ was dedicated on the 8th day after birth and ask how many Christians does that.

I know very well that the scripture doesn't tell us to perform marriages in the church, but let's say church wedding is caused by civilization and some Christians decide to wed in church, is that an avenue for some Pastors to extort money from their members almost forcefully?
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by Kobojunkie: 1:44pm On Mar 23, 2021
ediko5:
@edoairways,

From your comment, you're discouraging child dedication in the church based on the scriptures, but you also wrote that Jesus Christ was dedicated on the 8th day after birth and ask how many Christians does that.

I know very well that the scripture doesn't tell us to perform marriages in the church, but let's say church wedding is caused by civilization and some Christians decide to wed in church, is that an avenue for some Pastors to extort money from their members almost forcefully?
Jesus Christ was born a jew and according to the Old Law, the boy child had to be circumcised on the 8th day -that was the form of dedication that God implanted in His Old Covenant for those of the blood of Jacob. undecided

However, as part of His New Covenant which you are instead a part of , God did not command any such rituals of you, meaning any baby dedication you do has nothing to do with God .I.e. that Child is not being dedicated to the Almighty since He never asked it of you to begin with. undecided

In fact it can be said that in your adding your baby dedication to God's New covenant , you lay curses, rather than the intended blessings, on the heads of your babies instead by your acts of disobedience against God . undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by edoairways: 3:23pm On Mar 23, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Jesus Christ was born a jew and according to the Old Law, the boy child had to be circumcised on the 8th day -that was the form of dedication that God implanted in His Old Covenant for those of the blood of Jacob. undecided

However, as part of His New Covenant which you are instead a part of , God did not command any such rituals of you, meaning any baby dedication you do has nothing to do with God .I.e. that Child is not being dedicated to the Almighty since He never asked it of you to begin with. undecided

In fact it can be said that in your adding your baby dedication to God's New covenant , you lay curses, rather than the intended blessings, on the heads of your babies instead by your acts of disobedience against God . undecided
Read the article again. The bible was silent on child dedication
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by Kobojunkie: 3:31pm On Mar 23, 2021
edoairways:

Read the article again. The bible was silent on child dedication
Just as God said in His Old Covenant, "Do not add or remove from my commandments...", Jesus Christ also warned believers against adding or removing from His comandments especially by way of the doctrines and traditions(commandments) of men which He, Jesus Christ, declared were nothing but lies which have the dangerous effect of nullifying the power of God in your lives and rendering your worship of God meaningless - leaving such a one cursed. undecided

Since God did not command your baby dedication among so many other rituals you all subscribe to In HIS NAME, you are guilty of sinning against God when you do such things and worse, that particular sin comes with a curse as a consequence. undecided undecided
Re: Why Must Members Pay Money To Pastors Before Child Dedication/wedding In Church by edoairways: 3:41pm On Mar 23, 2021
[quote author=ediko5 post=100137888]@edoairways,

While I discourage people from dedicating their child based on the scriptures, I did explain the rationale behind such dedication. Parent can choose to dedicate their kids if they so wish. If they insist, they can call a pastor to dedicate their babies at home not church. The bible never mandated Christians to dedicate their babies.

Even with the so called civilization, the couple should use their brain. Once a church comes up with unnecessary stress, you opt in for alternative (Court wedding). If you insist on white wedding, you give room for unnecessary stress hence I wouldn't fault the pastor but you.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Adeboye Son, Leke Goes Bald, Urges Youths To Do The Same In Honour Of Late Dare / If God Created This Universe, What's To Say He Didn't Create Another? / A Challenge For Atheists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.