Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,132 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

My First Year In Canada - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / My First Year In Canada (409 Views)

Global Pressure Mounts For Nigerian Atheist’s Release After Year In Detention / UNN First Year Registration/clearance Procedures For 2019/2019 Admission / First Rain Of The Year In Kogi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My First Year In Canada by Namoe(m): 4:40am On Mar 23, 2021
TRUE STORY - PART 1 OF 5

This is me on March 3, 2020, trying out new clothes on the night before my final interview with Sysco a major North American food distributor in Canada. Prior to that, I had met the HR Manager and Sales Director for the region. For those engagements, I dressed in business casual attire but later on received feedback from a trusted professional advisor that dress clothes would serve my interests better. So I took the advise and bought a new suit, shirt and tie. Due to a shifting midsection and overall mass, a tailor had to do some refitting but it was all in hand. In this picture, I am standing before the mirror to affirm the look and afterwards, I emailed the image to my advisor. She approved.

The next morning, I jumped into a car I rented and drove down to the Sysco office. Because it was a sales role, and the job description clearly stated the need to have a valid license and car, my advisor insisted that I arrive in one. She knew I didn't have one but made it clear that I could be tested on that fact. The interview, she explained, starts from the moment you arrive. You will be assessed on everything in the job description. True enough, the first question the HR Manager asked as she fetched me from the reception was, "how was the drive down?" And as you can probably imagine, I answered with a smile. "It was great." I replied. "Traffic was light." I remarked further. As we walked up the stairs, I couldn't help wondering if I would have answered differently if I had come with a bus or an Uber.

The interview went very well. It was for a sales role that would involve managing business relationships with establishments that prepare and sell food, such as restaurants and hotels. I was to be interviewed by the HR Manager again, as well as my would-be line manager. So even though the Sales Director had given me a pass mark, the Manager I would work with still had to approve before a hiring decision could be made. The requirements for the job were familiar to me because of my previous work experience as a salesman. Regardless, I had spent several hours preparing. Using the job description as a guide, I created questions out of every single requirement and identified scenarios in my experience that highlighted my skills as a salesperson. It worked. So many of the questions they asked had already been rehearsed. And I drew inspiration from my preps for the ones I did not anticipate.

Even as I left the room, I knew I had clinched the job. The only question in my mind was when I would get the call or email that I was successful. My interviewers walked me down towards the exit and made small talk. I already felt like a member of the team. Out in the carpark, I walked confidently to my rental. For some reason, I felt someone might be watching me and made a point of removing my jacket and placing it on the back seat. Similar to what a real car owner might do. I drove out with the conviction that my next visit to Sysco would be as a staff of the company.

Back home, I had barely settled when the phone rang. It was Sysco's in-house recruiter, calling to let me know I had gotten the job. I was in heaven. It was the fastest feedback I had ever received between an interview and a job offer. Through much of the drive home, I had described the interview experience to my wife and even transferred the confidence I felt. She was elated when I called less than an hour later to say I had been made an offer. She also couldn't believe how quickly they responded. My advisor and a few other friends were informed as were my family in Nigeria. They were all excited. With a job confirmed, I bought a car and started future planning. My fast depleting savings could take a much needed break. At last, my Canada journey could truly begin. Or so I thought...

TO BE CONTINUED...

Re: My First Year In Canada by LeeSantos(m): 4:59am On Mar 23, 2021
wow. congratulations
Re: My First Year In Canada by aladesuyi(m): 5:06am On Mar 23, 2021
Congrats!
Re: My First Year In Canada by obiekunie2: 7:20am On Mar 23, 2021
yam head. cheesy
Re: My First Year In Canada by Nbotee(m): 8:27am On Mar 23, 2021
See everyone deserves to leave dis shithole and see how organized the developed world is

(1) (Reply)

Wow!! 12 Years Old Girl Gave Birth To A Twin, Check Out People's Reactions / Google Pixel 4a / Value Based Healthcare Asia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.