Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,977 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? (16279 Views)

Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? / I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed / What I Learnt From Leaving My Teaching Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by miqos02(m): 2:49pm On Mar 25, 2021
Francisayo:
I've been teaching in a private school for two years, but the money is just too small and never enough this made me think of a business to start...

I got a loan of #500k to start a block industry on a small scale, even though I'm still in fact finding and research stage about the business but I hope to start very soon.

I'm currently not in my town as where I teach is in another state but I planned to set up d block industry in my town.

I planned to resign next week after vacation, I want to tell d owner I won't be resuming with them next term...

Guys do u think this is a good idea.

Thanks
its bad to start a business with loans
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by nsidear: 2:50pm On Mar 25, 2021
Thank God for the grace to move beyond where you are. My advise is that you continue teaching, do more research about the block industry. My uncles have been in the block business for a while. Though lucrative, there are still some ups and down.

With 500k, 1. do you the molding machine? 2. If not, have you checked out the cost of the machine? 3. If you are not considering the molding machine for now, then you are considering manpower to start with. 4. Do you have a location already? have you figured out your rent expenses if renting? Do more research.

Keep your teaching job, it will help to balance your overhead/miscellaneous cost/anticipated cost. I started a business without much research into it. I had competitions, and I had to shut it down. That is why I encourage you to do more research. My current is better because I learnt the hard way; you don't have to learn that same way, but learn from other's experiences.

Just my thought.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by Eyisfun3: 2:52pm On Mar 25, 2021
I will advice you not to quit yet, try set up the business first monitor it and try get some customers, due to the fact that we are now in the raining season patronage maybe very low. I will advise you use your teaching job money to settle up the loan to an extent before quiting. Am specking from experience so you don't use all the money collected from loan in servicing the loan ,in order not to go back to square zero.
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by Etfash(m): 2:53pm On Mar 25, 2021
Francisayo:
I've been teaching in a private school for two years, but the money is just too small and never enough this made me think of a business to start...

I got a loan of #500k to start a block industry on a small scale, even though I'm still in fact finding and research stage about the business but I hope to start very soon.

I'm currently not in my town as where I teach is in another state but I planned to set up d block industry in my town.

I planned to resign next week after vacation, I want to tell d owner I won't be resuming with them next term...

Thanks

Hello Francisayo,

I think it's better you start a school in your current location instead, because of the following:

1. You are a teacher with at least 2 years (24 months).

2. You must have seen opportunities yet to be properly harnessed by the school where you teach at the moment.

3. By now, if you are an effective teacher , some parents already hire you for private lessons for their children. Why leave that opportunity for your village. It's better to stay where you gained ecperience and effectively compete.

I counsel you to put that money in money market, treasury bills or the FGN Savings Bond. These instruments are almost risk free. Then spend more time in that school, but this time, volunteer to contribute to the running of the school, reach out for more knowledge about how to run a school, study your proprietor or proprietress, seek out 1 or 2 people who have similar vision with you. Draw your plans and set out in 6months to 1 year.
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by Drone95(m): 2:55pm On Mar 25, 2021
Offpoint1:
Just quit bro now else you will keep procrastinating till infinity.....

You can play 2 sure odds with 500k and rollover the next day grin and you'll have more than enough to start.
chai. Op don't play any 2 odd o. It's risky!
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by stanley000: 2:55pm On Mar 25, 2021
Baba resign ooo resign asap and start your business without wasting further time. Working for someone is slavery, even my i am planning on quiting my job this month ending. I don't care of i have nothing in my account, my papa build house I will go and stay there. Imagine working for peanuts month to month and still looking like someone who's not working , I'm done. My job is professional so i will source for clients myself and work for them. The insults have crossed my throat,
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by KINGBEN1(m): 2:55pm On Mar 25, 2021
Quit now
Get more knowledge of the business...
Raining season though not good for the business.
But start on a low-key by the dry season they should know you by them....

You need a truck in the long run
And your location should be a new site
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by Mobog(m): 3:01pm On Mar 25, 2021
Is block making machine not more than 250?
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Mar 25, 2021
You Should Not yet quit Your Job.
But Should start a Part-time Business.

There is a book i would recommend for
anyone that is Starting up a Business.

It is titled Rich Dad's Guide to Investing.

Click to download: https://archive.org/download/roberttorukiyosakibooks/Rich%20dad%20guide%20to%20investment.pdf

It is not a Product that makes a Good
Business, But the Systems behind the
Product.

Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by Chinks(m): 3:03pm On Mar 25, 2021
I don't think you should quit the teaching job outrightly because you've not even established the business yet. Since you're still seeking knowledge about it, I'll advice you to know almost everything that is needed to be known about the business and even start before quitting your teaching job. I'm also a teacher in a private school and I've been able to establish a laundry business for myself and grocery store for my wife. The reason I've not quit yet is that, I have access to loan twice a year from our cooperative society (#500,000 yearly). By the time our businesses can feed the family well, I'll bid farewell to private school teaching.
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by richmond500: 3:03pm On Mar 25, 2021
Francisayo:

Thanks
until ur block business start fetching u enough money, do not quit
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by RevT1: 3:06pm On Mar 25, 2021
Now this is what I have to tell you.

Any legit thing that will put money in your pocket on a DAILY BASIS is better than a monthly paid teaching job. This wisdom has taught me.
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by Chinks(m): 3:07pm On Mar 25, 2021
Students must not fail. All students must not score below average because their parents are paying exorbitant school fees and so on..... It is well!
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by CheedyJ(m): 3:08pm On Mar 25, 2021
Offpoint1:

You can play 2 sure odds with 500k and rollover the next day grin and you'll have more than enough to start.
Werey sombori
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by saintruky(m): 3:11pm On Mar 25, 2021
BuhariM:
Well it's nice you thinking outside the box. Those who teach in private schools have little or nothing to show.

You'd be surprised 5-7 years you will still be on a salary scale of 20-30k (thunder fire poverty)

But OP, that money might be small but you can manage to get those manual steel for making blocks, buy storage tanks for water (if you have well close by lucky you).

Meet with those who supplies Sands and cements (u can be selling cements too on a lowkey, u take delivery in small quantities directly from an authorised dealer)

Trust me with time you'd bounce and be proud of yourself.

My brother u re right o on ur second paragraph...

I know person with 2 master's degree (1st class), she's been a private school teacher for 8yrs n her current salary is #30k... Sad thing, nothing to show for d 8yrs.. She still dey stay wit n eat from mama pot..

@op, pls resign wit immediate alacrity n start ur block business.. areas u should concentrate in ur research, is how many blocks one bag of cement fit produce...

Again, u fit dey sell sand in bags too.. inside empty cement bags...

But no fear to start....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by Johnchrix(m): 3:22pm On Mar 25, 2021
Chinks:
I don't think you should quit the teaching job outrightly because you've not even established the business yet. Since you're still seeking knowledge about it, I'll advice you to know almost everything that is needed to be known about the business and even start before quitting your teaching job. I'm also a teacher in a private school and I've been able to establish a laundry business for myself and grocery store for my wife. The reason I've not quit yet is that, I have access to loan twice a year from our cooperative society (#500,000 yearly). By the time our businesses can feed the family well, I'll bid farewell to private school teaching.

Sir, can you lead me on how to access such laon be for my business, appreciate your response.
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by knightphoenix: 3:25pm On Mar 25, 2021
Offpoint1:

For Christ sake he borrowed the money, Big risk.
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by madukaanaya(m): 3:31pm On Mar 25, 2021
melviniyke2002:
start teaching job,very easy to get one.....15k to 30k a month....dis wud help u avoid online begging.... Cus most people see it as scam dis days.....Gudluck.
am a teacher but since having an accident i havent been working since december 29.
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by Folaoni(m): 3:32pm On Mar 25, 2021
Offpoint1:

You are very very wicked
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by Francisayo(m): 3:35pm On Mar 25, 2021
I'm so happy reading every response and I would like to give more fact about d subject matter

After every deduction, my take-home salary is 25k every month but this money doesn't last me for d month cos of the inflation of mostly everything in d country, and younger ones too will call to get out of it.

Like I said I'm still making a lot of research about d business and trust me I'll make every necessary research.

About me quitting my teaching job, I think this will give me d time to monitor d business very well, since d business is starting new it won't be nice assigning someone to monitor it for me just because of 25k monthly salary

I'm planning to get the electrical molding machine and I'm researching also about d cost implication of everything I'll need this made me task myself to get 100k added to d previous 500k

I'll take to d advice of some people that I should get to know about d business and that I should start during d dry season.

To someone that asks me to play 2 odd with d money, I'm sorry I won't be able to cos Im always unlucky with bettings lol If there's another issue raised I'll reply, thanks to u fams
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by At10tion: 3:39pm On Mar 25, 2021
Francisayo:

Thanks
I hope you understand that you'll need vehicle to transport your blocks to customers base! You should think on that too.
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by mailemy(m): 3:40pm On Mar 25, 2021
Francisayo:

I planned to resign next week after vacation, I want to tell d owner I won't be resuming with them next rm...

Thanks
Quit now,it's a good idea. Business is the way forward. If you fail to start now,you will keep procrastinating.
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by elvismaga: 3:43pm On Mar 25, 2021
Offpoint1:

since you dey play 2sure odds how much u don make. Poverty dey ur brain.
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by 1beat(m): 3:48pm On Mar 25, 2021
teaching job is the most useless job in Nigeria don't waste your time leave the place now. if you don't want to make mistakes or suffer believe me you are not ready to move forward in two years time you will be surprise that the student you have taught in one particular class is about to finish university. by end of the term the leave the school.

go to any block industry beg them that you want to learn work unbehalf of your brother who is coming to Nigeria from Ghana to invest in the business spend 3month with them with your level of education you will blend on time

I wasted 4 years in teaching line I achieve nothing. it was not easy leaving but today I refer it as best decision. i started with 15k it was not easy but I give God the glory today now hate selling my stuff to teachers because they always complain whenever they want to buy market from me I'm making better money in my business with less stress and well connected to many people even commissioners , lecturers, pastors even to Iyalode of egbaland.

even the students you are wasting your time on will hate you if you don't make it in life and teaching job can't guarantee you better social status

I beg you leave that wasting time, brain drain , energy driving and unappreciative work if you want to grow in life

less I forget ignore those who are telling you not to quit now or after the term they're agent of time waster the road to success is not smooth and you know you have not marry believe me it is now
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Mar 25, 2021
It will be better you quit now and start on your own.... Working for someone is no more advisable,
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by capricornlady: 3:53pm On Mar 25, 2021
Don't resign from Teaching yet. Start your business first and watch how things go before you think of quitting.
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by Extremefiles(m): 3:55pm On Mar 25, 2021
Fvckin best idea. Go for it bro and don't forget to buy my trophy larger beer when you buy your first truck from the proceeds of your block industry.
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by Extremefiles(m): 3:57pm On Mar 25, 2021
At10tion:
I hope you understand that you'll need vehicle to transport your blocks to customers base! You should think on that too.

no he doesn't. Things will work out for him.
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by lekonso: 4:02pm On Mar 25, 2021
You know you will need to buy delivery vehicle, will #500000 be enough to kick off
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by reservd(m): 4:21pm On Mar 25, 2021
Francisayo:

I'm currently not in my town as where I teach is in another state but I planned to set up d block 3industry in my town.

Thanks
Why your home town? Is it a developing area? Are you sure of patronage overthere or u just going there because it's your hometown. Better put it in mind to site your block industry where constructions are springing up here and there for a reasonable patronage
Re: Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? by MERCHANDISER: 4:26pm On Mar 25, 2021
Tjass4barca:

Nawa people dey sha .... guy see wetin you advice person go do bet for that matter...you wick sha

If he play am come win nko

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Cope With A 9 To 5 When You Are Not A Morning Person / Have You Been Shouted At By A Subordinate At Work Before? / What's Affecting My Productivity? My Mindset, My Location, Or My Village People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.