Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,459 members, 7,819,671 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

1 Year After First COVID-19 Death In Nigeria, Mortality Rate Stands At 1.25% - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 1 Year After First COVID-19 Death In Nigeria, Mortality Rate Stands At 1.25% (340 Views)

Dead Man "Breathing" In Imo After Corpse Was Exhumed 1 Year After His Death / Lagos Records One More COVID-19 Death / 63-Year-Old Man Dies Of Coronavirus In Lagos. The Seventh COVID-19 Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

1 Year After First COVID-19 Death In Nigeria, Mortality Rate Stands At 1.25% by Aesculapiul: 2:30am On Mar 26, 2021
NIGERIA recorded its first COVID-19 case on February 27, 2020, when an Italian citizen working in the country returned from Milan, Italy, to Lagos on the 25th of February 2020. He was later confirmed positive for COVID-19 by the virology laboratory of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital.
On March 23, 2020, exactly 25 days after the first COVID-19 case in Nigeria, the country recorded its first COVID-19 death. According to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), which made the announcement, the country’s 1st COVID-19 death was a 67-year-old male, who returned home following medical treatment in the UK.
The NCDC also added that the man had underlying medical conditions―multiple myeloma and diabetes and was undergoing chemotherapy. He was later recognised as former managing director of the Pipelines and Products Marketing Company (PPMC) Suleiman Achimugu,
Nigeria COVID-19 data stands at 161,868 total cases, 2030 deaths
When Nigeria recorded its first COVID-19 death last year, the country’s total COVID-19 case was just 41. The pandemic had just been recorded in five out of the 36 states of the federation, with the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) also making the list.
As of then, Lagos State had the highest COVID-19 cases with 48, followed by FCT with 7 cases. Ogun had 2 cases while Edo, Ekiti and Oyo State had 1 case each.
Meanwhile, one year after, the COVID-19 pandemic has spread to all the 36 states of the federation, although the death rate and infection rate differ by states.
As at Tuesday, March 23, total COVID-19 cases in the country stood at 161,868 while COVID-19 death was 2030, equating to 1.25 percent mortality rate.
It is also important to note that 1.727 million COVID-19 test samples have been carried out in the country so far, with 161,868 (equating 9.4 percent) returning positive.
No fewer than 148,125 people, who had tested positive for COVID-19, have been discharged so far, making the country‘s active COVID-19 cases stand at 11,713.
Lagos, FCT, Plateau, Kaduna and Rivers have the highest COVID-19 cases
Out of the total 161,868 COVID-19 cases in Nigeria as at Tuesday, fives states have been recognised as the states where the pandemic is prevalent.
Lagos State is the hotspot of COVID-19 in Nigeria with 57,337 cases, followed by Abuja that has 19,584 cases; Plateau with 9,015 cases; Kaduna, 8,869 cases; and Rivers with 6,867.
The five states alone account for the 63 percent of the total COVID-19 cases in Nigeria.
While Kogi, Zamfara and Yobe are having the least COVID-19 cases in the country with 5 cases, 231 cases and 293 cases respectively so far. However, Kogi governor Yahaya Bello has made disparaging comments about the virus, resisting attempts at carrying out tests in the state.
Consequently, the Presidential Task Force (PTF) has warned against travelling to Kogi after classifying the state, Yobe, Jigawa, Zamfara and Kebbi as ‘high-risk’ COVID-19 states.
The PTF hinged its decision on Kogi State government’s repeated denial of the existence of the deadly disease and its poor attitude towards report tests and isolation centres.
Lagos, FCT, Edo, Oyo and Kano have the highest COVID-19 mortality rate
According to the NCDC data, Lagos, FCT, Edo, Oyo and Kano are the top five states with highest COVID-19 mortality rates in Nigeria. The five states account for the 49.3 percent COVID-19 mortality rate in the country.
The five states have a total of 1,000 COVID-19 deaths out of 2030 cases recorded in the country so far. Lagos alone has 426 COVID-19 deaths; 156 people have died of COVID-19 in FCT; 192 deaths in Kano; 116 in Oyo, and 110 in Kano.
In Zamfara, only eight people have died of the virus. Yobe has recorded 9 COVID-19 deaths; Ekiti has 11, and Nasarawa has 13.
Prominent Nigerians that have died of COVID-19
Below are the prominent Nigerians that are among the 2,030 people that have died of COVID-19 in the country so far:
Former Chief of Staff to Nigerian President, Abba Kyari
Former Chief of Staff to Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari Abba Kyari had tested positive for coronavirus disease after returning from a trip to Germany on March 15, 2020.
His death was later confirmed on April 18, 2020, in a statement posted by presidential spokesperson Femi Adesina.
Re: 1 Year After First COVID-19 Death In Nigeria, Mortality Rate Stands At 1.25% by Shedrack777: 2:46am On Mar 26, 2021
nigeria jaga jaga. corruption scarter scarter
Re: 1 Year After First COVID-19 Death In Nigeria, Mortality Rate Stands At 1.25% by Ikjosh04: 4:29am On Mar 26, 2021
Thank God for Life!

Nigerian's and Africa where just lucky(Pure luck!)

This Covid-19 dealt with the American's, European's and the British!

Meanwhile Australia and New Zealand(generally the Oceania countries and some countries in Asia like Singapore, North Korea) are the countries with less casualties due to their strict Covid-19 rules and lockdown!

Of course, you don't expect me to mention China who effectively tackled the COVId-19 break out that was rapidly spreading in Wuhan in less than 90 days cause it's still a mystery to the top leader's(G8 and G20 countries) on how China performed that miracle!

Rip to all the fallen hero's and a big salute to all our health workers and frontline workers who gave their best worldwide to ensure the preservation of life.

Also, I've to send a shout out to Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Moderna and J&J for developing the Covid-19 vaccines in a short period of time. I hope the vaccine works and are effective to fighting this virus.

Meanwhile, the meme below is how I feel when I think of Nigeria government and her leaders so my blueprint to thriving in this Nigeria is to put my all to ensure I make this money in a legit way and while doing this I live below my means cause my self worth is not on the material thing's billions can buy!

To conclude, I end with this blueprint and quote;

"Greatness is what we attract in our life by the reason of what we're becoming"

"In 2 minutes of humility, your destiny can open up. It takes meekness to enter the next level of your life"

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria To Introduce Emergency Medical, Ambulance Services – Official / Holding Back Urine Can Give Rise To Several Problems / Menstrual Disorder: What Every Woman Should Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.