Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,714 members, 7,820,494 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 (3701 Views)

Real Estate Mogul Adron Homes GMD Pays Homage To New Olubadan / Machina Emirate Yobe: Where Snakes Pay Homage To King / The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by Nobody: 9:46am On Mar 28, 2021
seunmsg:

You can make your point without dragging Yorubas into this. The OP is Igbo, face him and stop chasing shadows.

By the way, the picture was not taken in 1913 as there is nothing to support the date other than the OP’s imagination. How many Africans living in the hinterland were using eye glasses in 1913?

I only state the truth. One thing I noticed is that Nigerians don't seem to understand that the alphabet is not indigenous to our region, the colonial British regime is what brought the alphabet to our region.

You will just keep seeing Nigerians claiming their medieval ancestors had chairs engraved with British alphabet and they don't even see how dumb they sound.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by oz4real83(m): 10:38am On Mar 28, 2021
Truthshots:
This nri story has to be the joke of the century.
The trend amongst Nigerian ethnic biggots, be it Yoruba or Igbo and sometimes even northerners, is to make claims about Benin in order to grow prestige for themselves.

One little thing: in 1913 the Oba of Benin was in exile. You guys are trying to lie like Yoruba, but you didn't even do your research first.
All these story-story usually fall apart when anybody asks for proof.
always ignore nonsense like this post when u see it. That is exactly what I always do. Anybody who had a bad night like OP can wake up and create a rubbish post like this.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by samuk: 11:47am On Mar 28, 2021
oz4real83:
always ignore nonsense like this post when u see it. That is exactly what I always do. Anybody who had a bad night like OP can wake up and create a rubbish post like this.

It goes to show the importance of Benin. Write anything, no matter how absurd and nonsensical, just add Benin to it, you get noticed.

After telling us that Oba of Benin use to pay homage to Nri, the Op showed us a photo with the inscription Oba Nri, a woman and a man standing, is the attached photo evidence of the visitation of Oba of Benin to Nri? If yes whom amongst the man and woman on the photo was the Oba of Benin that visited Nri, if no, what relevance was the photo to the story Op is telling?

3 Likes

Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by duro4chang(m): 12:36pm On Mar 28, 2021
Oba in igboland?
Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by oz4real83(m): 2:44pm On Mar 28, 2021
samuk:

It goes to show the importance of Benin. Write anything, no matter how absurd and nonsensical, just add Benin to it, you get noticed.

After telling us that Oba of Benin use to pay homage to Nri, the Op showed us a photo with the inscription Oba Nri, a woman and a man standing, is the attached photo evidence of the visitation of Oba of Benin to Nri? If yes whom amongst the man and woman on the photo was the Oba of Benin that visited Nri, if no, what relevance was the photo to the story Op is telling?
that was why I Said that OP had a very bad night. A person who had a good night rest will not wake up and make such a nonsensical, incoherent and uneducative post filled with alot of lies just to get unnecessary attention.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by Nobody: 6:11am On Mar 29, 2021
duro4chang:
Oba in igboland?

What is the meaning of Oba In Yorubaland ( Edo inclusive) because all are categorised as Yorubaland.
Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by Nobody: 6:14am On Mar 29, 2021
samuk:

You Bini boys are funny.

but you will drop one stupid image here, and call it map of Bini empire.

You will drop image of a traditional ruler holding a fan like material and call it Bini.

Do u guys reason before talking.

Bini kingdom we all know is an affiliate of Yorubaland and nothing, I mean absolutely nothing will ever change that.

on streets of Bini, an average Bini man knows he is yoruba and they don't argue it.

only on nairaland do such argument exist.

btw what is the meaning of Oba in your Yorubaland?

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by duro4chang(m): 8:20am On Mar 29, 2021
Juliusmalema:

What is the meaning of Oba In Yorubaland ( Edo inclusive) because all are categorised as Yorubaland.
In other words since there there oba(s) in Benin and yoruba land there must be Oba in Igboland?
Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by Fezz: 8:54am On Mar 29, 2021
Juliusmalema:

You Bini boys are funny.

but you will drop one stupid image here, and call it map of Bini empire.

You will drop image of a traditional ruler holding a fan like material and call it Bini.

Do u guys reason before talking.

Bini kingdom we all know is an affiliate of Yorubaland and nothing, I mean absolutely nothing will ever change that.

on streets of Bini, an average Bini man knows he is yoruba and they don't argue it.

only on nairaland do such argument exist.

btw what is the meaning of Oba in your Yorubaland?

There is something I have noticed about the yorubas on nairaland, you all wanthe to be involved in the glory that Benin Kingdom attained for itself in the past, honestly speaking this is not a good reputation from you guys.

All the wars that Benin Kingdom won and all the places they conquered, the yorubas now want to claim all that glory by attaching themselves to Benin by saying the Oba is from ife. But little do you know that the Oba of Benin is way much smarter than you all combined.

As long as the Oba of Benin announced publicly that Oduduwa is a Benin prince, it only means that all yoruba royal stools originated from Benin Kingdom. In other words, no Benin man or (Edo people) believe that they are connected to yoruba land because the obas word is final.

So stop wasting your time on nairaland trying to convince people on how supreme the yorubas are because the benins would always see themselves as having a more supreme history in comparison to the yorubas. It's all written down in their history books and you can't change the truth.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by samuk: 9:47am On Mar 29, 2021
Fezz:

There is something I have noticed about the yorubas on nairaland, you all wanthe to be involved in the glory that Benin Kingdom attained for itself in the past, honestly speaking this is not a good reputation from you guys.

All the wars that Benin Kingdom won and all the places they conquered, the yorubas now want to claim all that glory by attaching themselves to Benin by saying the Oba is from ife. But little do you know that the Oba of Benin is way much smarter than you all combined.

As long as the Oba of Benin announced publicly that Oduduwa is a Benin prince, it only means that all yoruba royal stools originated from Benin Kingdom. In other words, no Benin man or (Edo people) believe that they are connected to yoruba land because the obas word is final.

So stop wasting your time on nairaland trying to convince people on how supreme the yorubas are because the benins would always see themselves as having a more supreme history in comparison to the yorubas. It's all written down in their history books and you can't change the truth.

Don't mind the small boys and girls on nairaland. Benin made history for centuries and it was well documented. Those running around here on nairaland are only entertaining us. In their small minds, they think the nonsense they write here are more valuable knowledge than centuries old priceless documented Benin history.

It's only the ignorant here that doesn't know that the name Benin/Edo existed centuries before the name Yoruba was used as a group name for various people of now western Nigeria and centuries before the Name Igbo was coined to identify the people of eastern Nigeria.

It's only in Nigeria you see baby kingdoms saying they are fathers to an empire/kingdom that is centuries older than theirs.

In the history of the world, the name Benin is far more established than Yoruba or Igbo, why will Benin want to condescend to being Yoruba.

The name Benin is so established in world history that various international entities and bodies are named after her, such as the bight of Benin, an international body of water running through the coastline of west Africa. Even a country that have some Yoruba speaking people even adopted the name as their country name, Benin Republic, just to mention a few.

When these people are telling us their Oduduwa story, they always conveniently avoid the part that the present Oba told the Ooni, Emir of Kano, Sultan of Sokoto, Obi of Onitsha and several others who were present at his coronation that Oduduwa was a Benin prince that founded Ife.

Benin, like Rome, Egypt and Greece will always be historically senior to their neighbours, no amount of revisionist can change this fact. In the case of Benin the seniority is over 400 years.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by Nobody: 11:36am On Mar 29, 2021
duro4chang:
In other words since there there oba(s) in Benin and yoruba land there must be Oba in Igboland?

The word Oba in Igboland means men of wealth and influence and not a kingly position.

Be guided.

So tell us what oba means in Yorubaland?
Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by duro4chang(m): 11:47am On Mar 29, 2021
Juliusmalema:

The word Oba in Igboland means men of wealth and influence and not a kingly position.

Be guided.

So tell us what oba means in Yorubaland?
Hahaha. Men of wealth and influence You really tried.
Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by Nobody: 12:08pm On Mar 29, 2021
duro4chang:
Hahaha. Men of wealth and influence You really tried.

I used the word *Men" to categorically put many influential people in that position....I made it plural instead of singular.

The word Oba is used in many igbo sentences. for Instance..Do you that the guy be oba now.. meaning rich.

So it is a normal word in igbo society.
Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by TAO11(f): 5:13pm On Mar 29, 2021
Fezz:

Stop sweating! cheesy

(1) There is NO actual evidence whatsoever that Binis conquered even an inch of a Yoruba area.

(2) Also, the recent ‘Izoduwa’ narrative has already been debunked by historians as a work of fiction — that is, it is at best an interesting nonsense.

(3) The classical received traditions of Benin history also disallows (i.e. refutes) the recent ‘Izoduwa’ fiction.

So, your Oba may continue using you all for political cruise for all historians and Yorubas care. Lol.

(4) Also, a dictionary of Bini language already confessed that the word “ọba” (as used for the Benin king) comes from the Yoruba language.

Yes, all these may make you feel uneasy or even angry, but the truth doesn’t care how humans feel.

Cheers!

Cc: Kayberg
—————————
PS insertion w.r.t. the question posed to @duro4chang by @juliusmalema.

The Yoruba word “ọba” when translated into English in a literal sense yields the words “one who overlords”.

In one English word, it becomes, “overlord,” “emperor,” “monarch,” or more popularly “king”.

But unlike the English word “king,” it is gender neutral.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by Etrusen(m): 7:12pm On Mar 29, 2021
this topic is good as dead

the question I have for the op is for him to tell us the name of the Oba of Benin because the Oba I know was in exile from 1897 to 1914 so please tell us where your lie is coming from.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by Balogunodua(m): 9:14pm On Mar 29, 2021
TAO11:
Stop sweating! cheesy

(1) There is NO actual evidence whatsoever that Binis conquered even an inch of a Yoruba area.

(2) Also, the recent ‘Izoduwa’ narrative has already been debunked by historians as a work of fiction — that is, it is at best an interesting nonsense.

(3) The classical received traditions of Benin history also disallows (i.e. refutes) the recent ‘Izoduwa’ fiction.

So, your Oba may choose to continue deceiving you all for all historians and Yorubas care. Lol.

(4) Also, a dictionary of Bini language already confessed that the word “ọba” (as used for the Benin king) comes from the Yoruba language.

Yes, all these may make you feel uneasy or even angry, but the truth doesn’t care how humans feel.

Cheers!

Cc: Kayberg
—————————
PS insertion w.r.t. the question posed to @duro4chang by @juliusmalema.

The Yoruba word “ọba” when translated into English in a literal sense yields the words “one who overlords”.

In one English word, it becomes, “overlord,” “emperor,” “monarch,” or more popularly “king”.

But unlike the English word “king,” it is gender neutral.

I salut..... grin

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by nonhuman(m): 10:18pm On Mar 29, 2021
Juliusmalema:

I used the word *Men" to categorically put many influential people in that position....I made it plural instead of singular.

The word Oba is used in many igbo sentences. for Instance..Do you that the guy be oba now.. meaning rich.

So it is a normal word in igbo society.
my brother just hide your face, you don't know Igbo language, the word oba simply means a barn in Igbo, like, a barn is a store where you store your produce or wealth, like oba ji, meaning yam barn, oba ego meaning bank

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by Nobody: 10:31pm On Mar 29, 2021
nonhuman:
my brother just hide your face, you don't know Igbo language, the word oba simply means a barn in Igbo, like, a barn is a store where you store your produce or wealth, like oba ji, meaning yam barn, oba ego meaning bank

This is one of the reason we submit particularly. I don't know where you are from and neither do I care.

The context I explained is well used word in anambra axis....well used.

Moreover barn simply means Oba ji and not Oba as a single word. Get that into your head.

Also nothing like oba ego maybe it is used in your village or your invention to drive non existing points. Uno aku is the right word for bank.

as for oba it represent wealth and influential person with enough wealth....

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by Nobody: 11:29pm On Mar 29, 2021
Who does maths here ?

You remember the expression f(x) ?

It turns out a more appropriate expression is [apply] f x.
Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by TAO11(f): 12:02am On Mar 30, 2021
Truthshots:
[s]Who does maths here ?

You remember the expression f(x) ?

It turns out a more appropriate expression is [apply] f x.[/s]
Jude, so what you’re saying in other words is that:

People, please notice that I am capable of using Google to look up the ‘function notation’— as such any rubbish I type afterwards concerning history should be believed.

No, we don’t think you’re smart. Every single person here can also Google Math notations. So, no credit. grin

That is, any usually foolish history comment you post on Nairaland will still be debunked as I always do.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by adadike(f): 4:54am On Mar 30, 2021
Juliusmalema:

This is one of the reason we submit particularly. I don't know where you are from and neither do I care.

The context I explained is well used word in anambra axis....well used.

Moreover barn simply means Oba ji and not Oba as a single word. Get that into your head.

Also nothing like oba ego maybe it is used in your village or your invention to drive non existing points. Uno aku is the right word for bank.

as for oba it represent wealth and influential person with enough wealth....
Gbam. My cousin's name is Oba

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by Nobody: 6:37am On Mar 30, 2021
adadike:
Gbam. My cousin's name is Oba
You see am.
Wonderful Validation here.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by Nobody: 7:27am On Mar 30, 2021
Who can answer this one: let f be an application such that domain f is empty. Calculate the graph of f.
Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by Nobody: 7:31am On Mar 30, 2021
Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by EzeNri(m): 11:43am On Mar 30, 2021
In Nri today, Oba is the highest chieftaincy title and they are members of the NRI Council.
Re: Oba Of Bini Paying Homage In Nri Kingdom In 1913 by Jameseddi1: 1:44pm On Jan 26, 2022
Did Nri even existed.

What Existed in Nigeria then was
First Benin

During some century they later found a kingdom Ida and Oyo.

Nri is just imaginations kingdom by president Igbo

The old Establish Igbo kingdom that was know in the past are Onitcha ni du Agbor and all this kingdom was under Benin empire and was colonized by Benin.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians, Please Share Your Cultural Traditions (past / present) With Newcomers / Sultan Should Explain This Picture!! / Meet The Kambarin, Koma And Jibu Tribes In Nigeria Who Don’t Wear Cloths.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.