Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,803 members, 7,820,807 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:13 PM

I Will Not Support Buhari's Term Elongation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Will Not Support Buhari's Term Elongation (501 Views)

Na'Abba: Northerners Against Zoning Because They See Buhari's Term As Waste / Beautiful Ladies Support Buhari And APC (Photos) / Saraki: Tinubu Will Support Buhari On Hospital Stretcher To Succeed Him In 2023 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Will Not Support Buhari's Term Elongation by anjowaka510(m): 3:23pm On Mar 30, 2021
President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, has said he would not support tenure elongation for incumbent President, Muhammadu Buhari.
Senator Lawan remarks was on the heels of a tweet attributed to him that he “won’t mind a constitutional amendment to allow the unlimited term of office for President if President Buhari wishes to remain in office beyond 2023.”

But the President of the Senate in a statement signed by his media aide, Ola Awoniyi, disowned the tweet as he noted that the 1999 Constitution has a firm position on the tenure of the President that reflects the popular stand of Nigerians.

He said: “Section 137(1)b states as follow: A person shall not be qualified for election to the office of President if (b) he has been elected to such office at any two previous elections.

“The Senate President has never found anything wrong in that provision of the Constitution and has always stood firmly by it.

“It bears recalling that Lawan was a member of the National Assembly when in 2006 it threw out an attempt to amend that section of the Constitution and elongate the tenure of the President. The National Assembly acted then in obedience to the overwhelmingly popular desire of Nigerians.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/2023-i-wont-support-tenure-elongation-for-buhari-%E2%80%95-senate-president/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1617110856
Re: I Will Not Support Buhari's Term Elongation by tsinzu: 3:33pm On Mar 30, 2021
Did buhari say he wants to elongate his tenure?
Re: I Will Not Support Buhari's Term Elongation by Xscape1993(m): 4:09pm On Mar 30, 2021
Funny people in a funny country. There is nothing one will not see or hear in this country.
Re: I Will Not Support Buhari's Term Elongation by malele(m): 4:12pm On Mar 30, 2021
Seems this old man called PMB wants to divide Nigeria .

Believe me there is no smoke without fire .
These fools are testing the ground to see whether they will get away with tenor elongation , time will tell
Re: I Will Not Support Buhari's Term Elongation by PlayerMeji: 4:16pm On Mar 30, 2021
Nigerian youth may have been docile for long but I can assure you that the moment such is declared will bring to an end all the political empires that are ruling in this country

(1) (Reply)

Senator Ararume On A Merry Go Round In Court To Deprive Imo North / Are You A Graduate And Unemployment / SURVIVAL FUND Applicants Claimed Not To Have Been Paid by FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.