Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,642 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:09 PM

Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi (2079 Views)

Sagay: Nigerians Displaying Ignorance Over Chinese Loans / Walid Jibrin: My Life In Danger Over 2023 Presidency / Nigeria In Danger Over 11 Contract Breaches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by Gjrich(m): 6:11pm On Mar 30, 2021
Rotimi Amaechi, The Minister of Transportation, on Monday, noted that the decision of the House of Representatives to go public on the Sovereignty Immunity Clause in the Chinese loan has delayed the approval for the $5.3bn Ibadan-Kano standard gauge project.

Recall that the lawmaker challenged the sovereignty clause in the loan agreement with the China Exim Bank which funded the Abuja-Kaduna and Lagos-Ibadan standard gauge trains.

The clause in the loan gives China access to some national assets if the Federal Government fails to fulfil its side of the deal.

The former Governor of Rivers State, while speaking on Channels TV said the selfishness of some lawmakers delayed the approval of the loan by China as they began to ask more questions.

He said, “That is where we are. The loan for Ibadan-Kano, up till now we have not gotten approval and as at the time that issue happened, we were on the verge of getting approval but they withdrew. So they were asking more questions.”

“The other countries we have loan agreements with, don’t usually ask for sovereignty clause because they trust you. They expect that you are to payback. But the moment you brought it to the public, they are saying, ‘Oh you gave China an immunity clause, so you must also give us.”

“The selfishness of those members, I don’t know what they are pursuing has put the country into jeopardy. Now the other countries are asking for the immunity clause in their own agreement. The other aspect that I said was that the Chinese may likely withdraw, that is where we are. We are talking to them. Be rest assured that we would payback. The fact that these members were investigating should not stop you from… they are doing their legitimate duty, it doesn’t stop you from lending us the money.”

“They are asking questions that we need to explain. We have explained. They promised to give us the loan but at least it held us back from June till now. Imagine if they had given us that money in June, we would have gone far. We have started clearing by now but imagine seven months wasted because a few members of the House of Representatives went to the public because whatever you do here is reported all over the world. That is where we are.”

Amaechi in his statement said the immunity clause in the deal permits China to go to court or arbitration if Nigeria breaches the loan agreement.

According to him, the clause also gives exemption to some national assets if the court awards compensation to China in case Nigeria is taken to the court of arbitration.

“I have explained over and over. What the immunity clause does is to say to you in case you are not able to pay back, I want to be given the opportunity to be taken to court or to arbitration as it is in the clause.

So when I go to arbitration, don’t come and wave immunity that I am a sovereign nation, you can’t take me to court.”

“So what the immunity clause does is that it gives you access to the court. But in case you are not able to pay back whether there is an immunity clause or not, there are things that the court would tell you.”

“These are things to go for. What the immunity clause even does for us as Nigeria is that you can go for everything in case of the court awards you but you can’t go for our diplomatic assets outside the country because that is the easiest for them. They will just go to one country and seize our assets.”

The Minister disclosed that the Federal Government has so far borrowed about $2.5billion from China for covering the $500m Abuja-Kaduna line and the Lagos-Ibadan line which is almost completed.

He explained that, “If you look at the whole total cost, it will be $2.5 to $2.6 billion that we have borrowed from China Exim Bank for the Abuja-Kaduna and Lagos-Ibadan.

“They also lent us about $1.4 billion for the Lagos-Ibadan while the Federal Government had to cough out about $200 million to make it $1.6 billion. We are bringing out about $700 million because we have to end at the seaport in Apapa which was not part of the original design. So we had to take about 45kilometres rail from Ebute-Metta into Apapa seaport.

Re: Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by Nobody: 6:15pm On Mar 30, 2021
No problem. U can ask d Chinese to take our oil or just sell Nigeria t o them. Una see as these politicians dey mortgage the lives of even d unborn Nigerians?
Re: Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by Nobody: 6:18pm On Mar 30, 2021
Gjrich:
Rotimi Amaechi, The Minister of Transportation, on Monday, noted that the decision of the House of Representatives to go public on the Sovereignty Immunity Clause in the Chinese loan has delayed the approval for the $5.3bn Ibadan-Kano standard gauge project.

Add your source OP.
Re: Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by Nobody: 6:19pm On Mar 30, 2021
Minister for Transport, Rotimi "Inflated Projects" Amaechi is competing with Minister of Works, Babatunde "Inflated Projects" Fashola to see who can break world records when it comes to inflated projects.

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by IgweOfNnewi: 6:21pm On Mar 30, 2021
ok
Re: Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by SarkinYarki: 6:22pm On Mar 30, 2021
Just imagine what he is saying... So they should have kept quiet? I thought he said that clause didn't mean anything so what are the Chinese dragging if the clause is not important

1 Like

Re: Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by capitalzero: 6:28pm On Mar 30, 2021
So china would have sovereign clause while other creditor nations would not have it. Other creditors are not stupid.
Re: Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by Rugaria: 6:28pm On Mar 30, 2021
Lol
How that one take concern me?
Whether na fulani steal money or na Chinese, all na same thing.?
All of them are foreigners taking the money that belongs to the indigenous people of Nigeria
Re: Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by Monogamy: 6:32pm On Mar 30, 2021
Let the Nigeria politicians contribute and pay the loan same way they always contribute when it's election time.

Aren't you people going to be useful for once? undecided
Re: Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by LeeSantos(m): 6:40pm On Mar 30, 2021
Re: Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by punisha: 8:40pm On Mar 30, 2021
you people can just sell the country...occupants of the country just get set to carry your loads and relocate to Benin rep, Togo, chad and Ko.
Re: Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by Tonymegabush1(m): 9:24pm On Mar 30, 2021
If una borrow money make una try service the loan and not leave unnecessary loan payment for me to pay when I eventually become the president
Re: Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by Lush100(m): 11:10pm On Mar 30, 2021
Why are you telling us.
Shebi u used your brain to order for Chinese loan, then despite Nigeria high debt profile, so please deal with it
Re: Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by optionalY09: 11:15pm On Mar 30, 2021
That one no concern us na Yoruba nation concern us let the person who borrowed the money pay back. Or rather let the project you execute with the money pay back. Its obvious you didn’t spend penny from the money on SW nigeria.

Even palliative we no get, we are too free to go
Re: Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by 1x2x3: 11:49pm On Mar 30, 2021
Learn from this

3 Likes

Re: Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 12:36am On Mar 31, 2021
An immunity clause that he initially denied ? Tells you that there's something very fishy about these non viable loans
Re: Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by Nobody: 1:51am On Mar 31, 2021
Mugu.

When nah narrow gauge you wan construct in PH Ur village.
Re: Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by orisa37: 7:45am On Mar 31, 2021
Please look at his Face. This AMAECHI IS A HARDENED MAN. BY THE TIME HE QUITS HIS MINISTERING, EVERY NIGERIAN WOULD BE SLAVE TO CHINA. HE IS EVEN ATTACHING THE LEGISLATORS FOR DOING THEIR WORK WELL.
Re: Breaking: Nigeria Is In Danger Over Chinese Loan –Rotimi Amaechi by afube: 8:06am On Mar 31, 2021
AlhajiBitcoin:
Mugu.

When nah narrow gauge you wan construct in PH Ur village.

almost 8billion dollars debt for rail projects domiciled only in the southwest and north of the country with collateral from oil resources domiciled in the east( east has absolutely nothing in terms of rail projects o )...........the black African is steeped in sheer wickedness.......with a heart blackened by envy and greed.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

TWITTER Nigeria Is Officially Down / Documentary Reveals How Zik Betrayed Awo In 1959 / My Tomatoes Are Rotten Due To The Sit-at-home- Alhaji Yusuf, Begs Fg To Release

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.