Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,052 members, 7,835,556 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic (863 Views)

Lagos Red Line Rail To Be Commissioned On February 29th By President Tinubu / Garba Shehu: FG Is Building Rail Line To Border Point not Into Niger Republic / 'corruption Is Official' - Atiku Releases 10 Questions Buhari Must Answer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by Nobody: 6:24pm On Mar 30, 2021
The Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, says he personally travelled to Niger Republic to beg the country to allow the Nigerian government to construct the $1.95bn railway from Kano State into Maradi in Niger Republic.

Amaechi said this on Channels Television’s ‘News Night’ programme on Monday which was monitored by our correspondent.

The railway is expected to run from Kano to Dutse- Katsina through Jibia and will end at Maradi Niger Republic.

The minister said some had even accused him of serving northern interests even though his wife is Igbo.

Amaechi said, “It is like the shout about Kano-Maradi rail. I said my wife is Igbo. She is not from Maradi. The worst is that they will say I am serving the interest of the North. Let’s assume that is the argument you will make. The worst I can do is stop at Jibia which is the border.

“To even get to Maradi I had to travel to Niger Republic to even beg them. They are not bringing their money. It is our money. But I’m begging them to allow me access into Maradi.”

When asked why it was so important to extend the rail to Maradi, Amaechi explained that Niger Republic is a landlocked country and has to rely on entrepot trade which means it has to export and import through intermediary countries.

The minister said due to insecurity and poor road infrastructure as well as extortion by security agents, Niger Republic and Chad preferred exporting and importing their goods through Benin Republic, Ivory Coast, Ghana and Togo.

He argued that the new rail would help Nigeria to compete and this would expand the economy.

Amaechi added, “Why are they not exporting through Nigeria? They say o, your roads are bad. So, the railway takes care of that. They say customs is difficult, customs will impose charges that are not charged in Benin Republic.

“They say immigration does not allow them. Even when they pass all these, there are police checkpoints on the road, customs checkpoints on the road, immigration checkpoints on the road. Then communities have their own checkpoints on the road, armed robbers attack them on the road. So, they prefer to go where it is safe and cheaper to do business.

“So, all we are saying is we come to Maradi, we build offices, we build a warehouse, you put your things in the warehouse, you deal with customs at Maradi, deal with immigration at Maradi, deal with police, whatever you need to check. Once you put the goods on top of the wagon, it goes straight to Lagos. When it gets to Lagos, straight to the ship because the things you would do in Lagos, you would have done in Maradi.”

The minister also berated the National Assembly for obstructing the facilitation of Chinese loans due to the controversial sovereignty clause.

In July 2020, a House of Representatives panel had raised the alarm over clauses conceding Nigeria’s sovereignty to China in a loan agreement.

Amaechi, however, argued that the unnecessary probe had stalled funding for the Ibadan to Kano rail.

https://punchng.com/i-begged-niger-republic-to-let-nigeria-construct-free-railway-for-them-amaechi/
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by Nobody: 6:24pm On Mar 30, 2021
Nigerian leaders only think of their pockets and not national interests, cursed and failed state.

It is no surprise they pursue projects that are not economically feasible such as the railway to Niger Republic because of kickbacks they get from projects that are built at 100% inflated cost of other rail projects in other African Union countries.

Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by Toosure70: 6:27pm On Mar 30, 2021
Radarada.
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by Nobody: 6:34pm On Mar 30, 2021
Toosure70:
Radarada.
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by slivertongue: 6:48pm On Mar 30, 2021
hope he can stand the heat when this administration comes to an end
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by Nobody: 6:53pm On Mar 30, 2021
slivertongue:
hope he can stand the heat when this administration comes to an end
He needs to stand the heat in a jail cell.
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by ERockson: 6:58pm On Mar 30, 2021
If Amaechi likes he can lick northern ashh Tinubu is the next president

1 Like

Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by ValCon888: 7:00pm On Mar 30, 2021
“To even get to Maradi I had to travel to Niger Republic to even beg them. They are not bringing their money. It is our money. But I’m begging them to allow me access into Maradi.”
This man is too dramatic. He's also a thief that lies a lot.
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by Resurrection212: 7:00pm On Mar 30, 2021
Liar.

1 Like

Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by Never4getU: 7:03pm On Mar 30, 2021
God will punish you for this lie in your desperation to cover your lifeless and primitive master.

How on earth do you not think this is a breach of oath of office and affront to the Nigeria constitution. It's a deliberate attempt to cajole and abuse our sensiblity as a people.

Nigerian resources is to be used for nigerians not neighbouring country who have never extended such gesture in whatever form.

Buhari is only annexing Niger Republic to Nigeria in his veiled attempt to lord foreign Fulanis on Nigerians so as to make Fulan a majority tribe in Nigeria.

This is why the country should devide so north can practice it's Sharia religion without fear or favor to anyone. It's double standard to want to eat one cake and still have it.

2 Likes

Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by BonaMagnate(m): 7:04pm On Mar 30, 2021
Dim wits in power
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 30, 2021
BonaMagnate:
Dim wits in power
cry
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by SarkinYarki: 7:05pm On Mar 30, 2021
You have not constructed Lagos Ibadan road

You have not made 3rd mainland bridge roadworthy

The entire federa roads in the east and north central are in complete tatters

You have not constructed 2nd Niger bridge

You have not constructed 4th mainland bridge

But you are begging Niger republic to give the rail line
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by OBALOLA55(m): 7:09pm On Mar 30, 2021
ERockson:
If Amaechi likes he can lick northern ashh Tinubu is the next president
BUT TWO CAN PLAY THE GAME NOW. AMAECHI NEVER START, YOU DON DEY SHED TEARS, IF HE COME START NA BLOOD YOU GO SHED O grin
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by History555: 7:12pm On Mar 30, 2021
Who cares.
Northern minister will work in interest of the north
Southern minister will work in interest of the north

Northern politicians aim to please the north
Southern politicians aim to please the north

Northern politicians and leaders defend their people
Southern politicians call their people miscreants, terrorist

1 Like

Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by alpharoyalty: 7:18pm On Mar 30, 2021
I have nothing to say.
This country is cursed.
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by NaMe4: 7:21pm On Mar 30, 2021
Just imagine!

Terribly bad roads
Extremely corrupt border officers
Unreasonable duty charges, etc

And the solution? Build a multi-billion rail line into neighbouring countries then beg them to trade through those lines while they are still usable.
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by ERockson: 7:22pm On Mar 30, 2021
OBALOLA55:
BUT TWO CAN PLAY THE GAME NOW. AMAECHI NEVER START, YOU DON DEY SHED TEARS, IF HE COME START NA BLOOD YOU GO SHED O grin
Amaechi is a lightweight politician they just need his money
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by Nobody: 7:38pm On Mar 30, 2021
NaMe4:
Just imagine!

Terribly bad roads
Extremely corrupt border officers
Unreasonable duty charges, etc

And the solution? Build a multi-billion rail line.

The roads are terrible courtesy of Babatunde "Inflated Projects" Fashola and the corruption at Customs lies squarely in the hands of Buhari and his appointee, the Customs Comptroller, Col. Hameed Ibrahim Ali .
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by Nobody: 8:09pm On Mar 30, 2021
As if one needs additional proof that Nigeria is being run by morons.
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by engrchykae(m): 8:17pm On Mar 30, 2021
RuudVanNisteroy:
The Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, says he personally travelled to Niger Republic to beg the country to allow the Nigerian government to construct the $1.95bn railway from Kano State into Maradi in Niger Republic.

Amaechi said this on Channels Television’s ‘News Night’ programme on Monday which was monitored by our correspondent.

The railway is expected to run from Kano to Dutse- Katsina through Jibia and will end at Maradi Niger Republic.

The minister said some had even accused him of serving northern interests even though his wife is Igbo.

Amaechi said, “It is like the shout about Kano-Maradi rail. I said my wife is Igbo. She is not from Maradi. The worst is that they will say I am serving the interest of the North. Let’s assume that is the argument you will make. The worst I can do is stop at Jibia which is the border.

When asked why it was so important to extend the rail to Maradi, Amaechi explained that Niger Republic is a landlocked country and has to rely on entrepot trade which means it has to export and import through intermediary countries.

The minister said due to insecurity and poor road infrastructure as well as extortion by security agents, Niger Republic and Chad preferred exporting and importing their goods through Benin Republic, Ivory Coast, Ghana and Togo.

He argued that the new rail would help Nigeria to compete and this would expand the economy.

Amaechi added, “Why are they not exporting through Nigeria? They say o, your roads are bad. So, the railway takes care of that. They say customs is difficult, customs will impose charges that are not charged in Benin Republic.

“They say immigration does not allow them. Even when they pass all these, there are police checkpoints on the road, customs checkpoints on the road, immigration checkpoints on the road. Then communities have their own checkpoints on the road, armed robbers attack them on the road. So, they prefer to go where it is safe and cheaper to do business.

“So, all we are saying is we come to Maradi, we build offices, we build a warehouse, you put your things in the warehouse, you deal with customs at Maradi, deal with immigration at Maradi, deal with police, whatever you need to check. Once you put the goods on top of the wagon, it goes straight to Lagos. When it gets to Lagos, straight to the ship because the things you would do in Lagos, you would have done in Maradi.”

The minister also berated the National Assembly for obstructing the facilitation of Chinese loans due to the controversial sovereignty clause.

In July 2020, a House of Representatives panel had raised the alarm over clauses conceding Nigeria’s sovereignty to China in a loan agreement.

Amaechi, however, argued that the unnecessary probe had stalled funding for the Ibadan to Kano rail.

https://punchng.com/i-begged-niger-republic-to-let-nigeria-construct-free-railway-for-them-amaechi/
YOU ALL CAN SEE WHY WOMEN ARE MORE INTELLIGENT THAN AMAECHI.
AMAECHI IS DISGRACING HIS GENERATION
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by Nobody: 8:18pm On Mar 30, 2021
���we know, just like you are begging them to link the ph- borno rail to Niger
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by Pauladex(m): 8:23pm On Mar 30, 2021
Is like all of us are mad in this country.
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by Nobody: 8:24pm On Mar 30, 2021
Pauladex:
Is like all of us are mad in this country.
cry
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by Nobody: 8:57pm On Mar 30, 2021
HedwigesMaduro:
As if one needs additional proof that Nigeria is being run by morons.
The slowpoke even admitted the roads are poor and the country is fantastically corrupt.
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by Nobody: 8:59pm On Mar 30, 2021
BMC and TMC crew come and see wetin Musa see for gate.
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by Nobody: 11:32pm On Mar 30, 2021
engrchykae:
YOU ALL CAN SEE WHY WOMEN ARE MORE INTELLIGENT THAN AMAECHI.
AMAECHI IS DISGRACING HIS GENERATION
Maybe we should give them a chance to rule the failed state and see if they fare any better.
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by LadySarah: 3:45am On Mar 31, 2021
Igbo cannot leave your mouths. Usu!

It's always, "Buharis cook is Igbo", "My wife is Igbo"not you, Amaechi again.

What has Igbo got to do with your Over bloated rail projects? Common Sense should make you ppl to tackle the complaints listed instead of going to beg whoever

1 Like

Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by Racoon(m): 4:43am On Mar 31, 2021
Amaechi the "I dont like money" liar, hypocrite, crooked criminal and traitor. The $50M failed PH monorail project that never materialize is still fresh in the the minds of PH people.
Re: Amaechi:Poor Roads And Corruption Is Why We Are Building Rail To Niger Republic by Nobody: 6:04am On Mar 31, 2021
Racoon:
Amaechi the "I dont like money" liar, hypocrite, crooked criminal and traitor. The $50M failed PH monorail project that never materialize is still fresh in the the minds of PH people.
The useless fantastically corrupt mannequin that fled to England appointed to who is who of corruption into his cabinet.

(1) (Reply)

"The Beastly Killing Of Miyetti Allah Leader In Nasarawa By Bandits Is Commendab / Give These Things To IPOB,ESN,UGM,FKH,BHT,YSM,SHIITE And Nigeria Will Have Peace / Top Profile Cases Of Non Muslims Punished Under Shariah Law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.