Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,533 members, 7,837,048 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

What Is The Best Sleeping Position? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Is The Best Sleeping Position? (222 Views)

What Your Sleeping Position Says About Your Personality? Find Out! / Your Sleeping Position And What It Says About You / Best Sleeping Position, Best Sleeping Duration And Natural Sleep Protocols (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Best Sleeping Position? by Y4all: 4:50pm On Mar 31, 2021
When your laptop’s battery is low, you plug it to charge, sometimes you turn it off completely, other times you put it in sleep mode. Your body works the same way, after a day’s job, you need to recharge your “batteries” and the best way to do that is by get good quality sleep. This is why sleep is very vital in the wellbeing of human beings.
Even though we all sleep, we all do not sleep in the same position; in fact the only people who have a predictable sleep position are babies and toddlers.
So many things can influence your sleep position, including injuries, your mood and even a change in your physical form but in truth everyone has a favored sleep, whether it is on their back, side or stomach, people like to sleep in a position that they feel most comfortable in.
Over the years there have been different debates on what the best sleep position is, yet there has never being a concession as to which is the best, yet many agree that sleeping on your stomach is the least favorite of sleep experts.
The only constant is life is change, no sleep position is permanent for one person, and you can take time to gradually train yourself to sleep in a new position, which could greatly improve your sleep quality and general wellbeing. However don’t stress it, if it is something you are not comfortable with, you can always tweak your current sleep position to improve the quality of your sleep.
Fetal position
This position is aptly named because the sleeper resemble a prenatal fetus as it develops; back curved, head bowed and the limbs are bent and drawn up to the torso.
This is a very popular position and is known to aid reduce snoring, soothe lower back pain and is recommended for pregnant women.
It does have its disadvantages; endeavor to keep your posture loose, otherwise your comfy position could limit your breathing; also if you have issues with joint pain or stiffness, this position might leave you sore in the morning.
Sleeping on your side
Sleeping on your side is actually very good for you-especially if you are sleeping on your left side; it is the recommended position (left side) for expecting mothers. Sleeping on your side helps to reduce snoring; it is great for digestion and might even reduce heartburn.
The downside to sleeping on your side is that it puts pressure on your shoulder, as your weight leans heavily on it, it can lead to jaw tightness on that side, and research has even shown that sleeping on your side could contribute to wrinkle.
Putting a pillow between your lower legs will help align your hips to avoid back pain.

Lying on your stomach
Like this article showed before, the stomach position is the least favored sleep position, though it might be a good position for snoring or sleep apnea that is the extent of its benefits.
Sleeping on your stomach can cause both neck and back pain, it also puts a lot of strain on the joints and muscles which might leave you sore when you wake.
Placing a pillow under your lower belly might reduce back pain.
Flat on your back
This position provides the most benefits, as it not only protects your spine, it can also relieve pain in the hip and knee.
Gravity acting upon your body keeps your body in an even alignment over your spine, which reduces undue pressure on your back and joints. Putting a pillow below your knee may help support the natural curve of the back.
This position also protects you from any pillow or gravity induced wrinkles.
The disadvantage to this position is that it maybe difficult for someone who is already dealing with back pain; it can also be difficult with someone struggling with snoring or sleep apnea.
Summary
We spend roughly one-third of our lives sleeping — or attempting to sleep. Your sleep position matters more than you might think. If you’re having trouble sleeping, your health can suffer. Plus, sleep deprivation is about more than getting enough sleep — sleep quality matters, too.
Remember, you don’t have to change your sleep position if you aren’t having any issues. Do what feels best for you. The most important thing is to make sure you’re waking up feeling rested and ready to go.

https://www.wincofoam.com/5-selfish-sleep-positions-couples-must-avoid/
Re: What Is The Best Sleeping Position? by EmptyGarden(m): 4:59pm On Mar 31, 2021
Anyone that let's you sleep. For me, on my left side.
Re: What Is The Best Sleeping Position? by Kondomatic(m): 5:32pm On Mar 31, 2021
EmptyGarden:
Anyone that let's you sleep. For me, on my left side.
Any day I manage sleep on the bed, I will sleep flat on my stomach with my face facing right and most times it's pillow on my head instead of my head on the pillow.

But I sleep mostly and better on the floor, I'd lay flat on my back with a small pillow. I sleep better that way and I wake up stronger in the morning.
Re: What Is The Best Sleeping Position? by Y4all: 2:51pm On Apr 06, 2021
Kondomatic:
Any day I manage sleep on the bed, I will sleep flat on my stomach with my face facing right and most times it's pillow on my head instead of my head on the pillow.

But I sleep mostly and better on the floor, I'd lay flat on my back with a small pillow. I sleep better that way and I wake up stronger in the morning.

Sometimes you might want to change your sleep position especially if you notice that it is affecting your physical wellbeing

(1) (Reply)

A Popular Mad Man In Benue State Stopped A Car, Says His Days Of Madness Are Ove / Easter Ivf Promo / Pod Kit? Box Kit? Squonk Kit? What's The Best?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.