Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,125 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Relocating To Uk - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Relocating To Uk (8058 Views)

Nigerian Couple Buys A House 2 And Half Years Of Moving To UK. / Relocating To Bahamas / Relocating To Ghana: Kumasi Or Accra Please Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Relocating To Uk by henro757: 9:14pm On Apr 01, 2021
Im fed up with 9ja so I am relocating back to the Uk.
I plan to live in London any one with heads up

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Uk by pharmagba: 9:29pm On Apr 01, 2021
What do you mean by "....head up?"
Re: Relocating To Uk by MufasaLion: 9:32pm On Apr 01, 2021
Your write up shows you've lived in the UK before. What heads up again?

grin

9 Likes

Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 9:37pm On Apr 01, 2021
MufasaLion:
Your write up shows you've lived in the UK before. What heads up again?

grin
nah bross, but I have the rights to stay there hence I said relocating
Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 9:39pm On Apr 01, 2021
pharmagba:
What do you mean by "....head up?"
how to hit the ground running.No time to check time
Re: Relocating To Uk by pharmagba: 9:41pm On Apr 01, 2021
henro757:

how to hit the ground running.No time to check time
For UK , best way is through education

But the fee na die!

2 Likes

Re: Relocating To Uk by MufasaLion: 9:43pm On Apr 01, 2021
henro757:

If you say you have the right to stay there that means you have ILR or you're a citizen, yeah?

But you denied what I said earlier by the bolded.

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 9:51pm On Apr 01, 2021
MufasaLion:

If you say you have the right to stay there that means you have ILR or you're a citizen, yeah?

But you denied what I said earlier by the bolded.
citizen Yes, left as a baby so need go back there.I just want to hit the ground running when I reach so hoping to meet guys and girls already living in London for what to expect if that makes any sense!
Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 9:52pm On Apr 01, 2021
pharmagba:

For UK , best way is through education

But the fee na die!
nah I don't have to pay and not going fru the education route but might top up my already degree when I reach it! thanks plenty
Re: Relocating To Uk by amrichy(m): 11:02pm On Apr 01, 2021
henro757:
if you go fit lap me for plane, i no mind to follow you o. I'm fed up with this country too. There is poverty, crime, corruption, lawlessness and hopelessness every where you look.
imagine that how to get common 36k to renew my rent is what has been giving me serious headache for the past 2 weeks now (i'll be grateful if you're ready to help)! When our leaders are there stealing billions.
if you are smart, hardworking and law-abiding i believe you'll be very fine anywhere in UK. You dont really need any heads-up.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Relocating To Uk by Lexusgs430: 11:13pm On Apr 01, 2021
henro757:

Having free accommodation (to start with), would be a very pleasant foundation, and ensures a softer landing.......

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Uk by MufasaLion: 3:45am On Apr 02, 2021
henro757:

citizen Yes, left as a baby so need go back there.I just want to hit the ground running when I reach so hoping to meet guys and girls already living in London for what to expect if that makes any sense!

Now I understand!
Re: Relocating To Uk by Chukwuka16: 9:27am On Apr 02, 2021
Sometime last year, my wife and I went shopping at Sainsbury’s and we passed a couple of homeless beggars looking for “a pound please”. I looked to my wife and told her pointedly – these guys all have British passports (or can have one in weeks) but yet are homeless and beggars. Citizenship has never conferred on anyone wealth or prosperity.”

I agree that Nigeria as a country can be tough, but so is everywhere. You have to be strategic about life otherwise you will end up with a lot of regrets – despite possessing multiple citizenships.

What have you been able to achieve in Nigeria all the time you have been here? What things have you wished having access to finance would have pushed you further along or given you a breakthrough? What businesses have you tried and failed in and what lessons have been learnt? What is your life goal – survival or impact?

It is painful to see Nigerians with potentials living abroad thinking that having access to internet, stable electricity, portable water, good roads and other services is just enough for them. What is worse is that these Nigerians haven’t even been able to turn these “so called” opportunities into any significant value – they still live averagely or below averagely. Don’t be deceived with the occasional dose of great Nigerians making great strides abroad, just a few Nigerians (I mean very few) can actually boast of living comfortable in “the abroad”, MOST are just managing (but shame no go fit allow us talk true or acknowledge).

I have a lot of reservations about Nigeria but that doesn’t detract from the fact that the country offers the best opportunities for growth and wealth generation. I can bicker over forex movement and liquidity issues simply because I’m over leveraged in forex and any significant devaluation in Naira will affect my position, but that’s me and my issues. Yes, I even recently suggested liquidation of assets if things get worse, but things are looking very promising for the country based on my recent observations and the multitude of problems the country has. In fact, my positions are looking very promising with opportunities presenting themselves without much thinking – there are PROBLEMS in Nigeria and that’s your cue for opportunities.

What plans do you have for staying in the UK? Can you sort out your accommodation, feeding, transportation, effects (internet, phone and Netflix/Prime subscriptions) by yourself? Do you have significant savings to burn through for 6 months before you can stabilise? Are you ready to work in Amazon (as a warehouse operative) or as a care worker or as a salesperson for some of the large marts? How long do you intend to do this?

You have a unique advantage. Your other citizenship offers you access to cheap finance which if carefully ploughed into Nigeria can offer you significant returns – hence my asking what lessons have you learned and what experiences have you gained.

Perhaps you may want to take a break and just visit the UK for a short time (the irony considering its usually the other way around). See and observe how people live their lives on a daily basis and question yourself deeply if that’s what you want. Look around and ask lots of questions. Try and situate yourself around people working professional jobs (even if they are not in London, it’s similar experiences) and be quite frank with them. Look at their living conditions, ask questions about their expenses and their growth plans. Inquire about their regrets (if any) and above all inquire about what makes them settle for the UK as against Nigeria. I don’t want to pre-empt your conclusions, but you will be shocked by what you discover. Above all, make sure you have money to spend on dinners and lunches during those interviews. This is a fact-finding mission for you, and it will open your eyes to a lot if you have an open mind.

Lastly, try keeping your return ticket to a max of 3 weeks and don’t resign from your job (if any) in Nigeria. Take the period as an unpaid leave if paid isn’t allowed. I wish you well on your next journey in life and may the good Lord guide you.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Relocating To Uk by Limassol(m): 11:07am On Apr 02, 2021
Chukwuka16:
Sometime last year, my wife and I went shopping at Sainsbury’s and we passed a couple of homeless beggars looking for “a pound please”. I looked to my wife and told her pointedly – these guys all have British passports (or can have one in weeks) but yet are homeless and beggars. Citizenship has never conferred on anyone wealth or prosperity.”

I agree that Nigeria as a country can be tough, but so is everywhere. You have to be strategic about life otherwise you will end up with a lot of regrets – despite possessing multiple citizenships.

What have you been able to achieve in Nigeria all the time you have been here? What things have you wished having access to finance would have pushed you further along or given you a breakthrough? What businesses have you tried and failed in and what lessons have been learnt? What is your life goal – survival or impact?

It is painful to see Nigerians with potentials living abroad thinking that having access to internet, stable electricity, portable water, good roads and other services is just enough for them. What is worse is that these Nigerians haven’t even been able to turn these “so called” opportunities into any significant value – they still live averagely or below averagely. Don’t be deceived with the occasional dose of great Nigerians making great strides abroad, just a few Nigerians (I mean very few) can actually boast of living comfortable in “the abroad”, MOST are just managing (but shame no go fit allow us talk true or acknowledge).[

I have a lot of reservations about Nigeria but that doesn’t detract from the fact that the country offers the best opportunities for growth and wealth generation. I can bicker over forex movement and liquidity issues simply because I’m over leveraged in forex and any significant devaluation in Naira will affect my position, but that’s me and my issues. Yes, I even recently suggested liquidation of assets if things get worse, but things are looking very promising for the country based on my recent observations and the multitude of problems the country has. In fact, my positions are looking very promising with opportunities presenting themselves without much thinking – there are PROBLEMS in Nigeria and that’s your cue for opportunities.

What plans do you have for staying in the UK? Can you sort out your accommodation, feeding, transportation, effects (internet, phone and Netflix/Prime subscriptions) by yourself? Do you have significant savings to burn through for 6 months before you can stabilise? Are you ready to work in Amazon (as a warehouse operative) or as a care worker or as a salesperson for some of the large marts? How long do you intend to do this?

You have a unique advantage. Your other citizenship offers you access to cheap finance which if carefully ploughed into Nigeria can offer you significant returns – hence my asking what lessons have you learned and what experiences have you gained.

Perhaps you may want to take a break and just visit the UK for a short time (the irony considering its usually the other way around). See and observe how people live their lives on a daily basis and question yourself deeply if that’s what you want. Look around and ask lots of questions. Try and situate yourself around people working professional jobs (even if they are not in London, it’s similar experiences) and be quite frank with them. Look at their living conditions, ask questions about their expenses and their growth plans. Inquire about their regrets (if any) and above all inquire about what makes them settle for the UK as against Nigeria. I don’t want to pre-empt your conclusions, but you will be shocked by what you discover. Above all, make sure you have money to spend on dinners and lunches during those interviews. This is a fact-finding mission for you, and it will open your eyes to a lot if you have an open mind.

Lastly, try keeping your return ticket to a max of 3 weeks and don’t resign from your job (if any) in Nigeria. Take the period as an unpaid leave if paid isn’t allowed. I wish you well on your next journey in life and may the good Lord guide you.

Any source to back this up?

7 Likes

Re: Relocating To Uk by aboyaji(m): 1:52pm On Apr 02, 2021
Limassol:

Any source to back this up?
I do not think he needs a source to back this information up. You should try as much as possible learn new things. Take good counsel and listen or read intently. That's a cue he just dropped there.

Most people paint the "abroad" so beautifully that hides the reality of it.

As for me, I'd love to travel out some day, though have tried once and not approved, but I keep an open mind to information.

My friend in Turkey is planning to come back to Nigeria soon. Nothing dey for am for over 7 years in Turkey.

It's not always about traveling, what plans do you have when you do?

My cousin in Brazil has built an upstairs here in Nigeria from the proceeds of his business (yahoo) in Brazil but is cooling off in the Brazilian prison for drug trafficking as I'm typing this. I'm not for or against people's resolve or businesses but as a sane human, make good plans for yourself.

It's good to travel around the world because you will get to meet new people who'll connect you to your destination. But good planning is of importance.

5 Likes

Re: Relocating To Uk by Limassol(m): 2:07pm On Apr 02, 2021
aboyaji:
I do not think he needs a source to back this information up. You should try as much as possible learn new things. Take good counsel and listen or read intently. That's a cue he just dropped there.

Most people paint the "abroad" so beautifully that hides the reality of it.

As for me, I'd love to travel out some day, though have tried once and not approved, but I keep an open mind to information.

My friend in Turkey is planning to come back to Nigeria soon. Nothing dey for am for over 7 years in Turkey.

It's not always about traveling, what plans do you have when you do?

1. No it is not - he just pulled stats outta his head without any reference, and he expect people to take him seriously?

2.Turkey of all countries, what happen to other sought after immigrant destinations like US, Germany,UK, Canada and the likes? You know that's where the riches are. By the way, your friend is just an individual and his anecdotes doesn't negate the fact millions of Nigerians abroad are thankful they left Nigeria for good.

More often than not, the type of people that often lament living in abroad and go as far as discouraging others are

1.Illegal immigrants
2. Refugees
3. Asylum seekers

Anyone who has a skill/education and migrate with the right papers will forever be glad with the decision they made as it has proven time and again to be an effort worth making for many.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Relocating To Uk by aboyaji(m): 2:29pm On Apr 02, 2021
Limassol:

1. No it is not - he just pulled stats outta his head without any reference, and he expect people to take him seriously?

2.Turkey of all countries, what happen to other sought after immigrant destinations like US, Germany,UK, Canada and the likes? You know that's where the riches are. By the way, your friend is just an individual and his anecdotes doesn't negate the fact millions of Nigerians abroad are thankful they left Nigeria for good.

More often than not, the type of people that often lament living in abroad and go as far as discouraging others are

1.Illegal immigrants
2. Refugees
3. Asylum seekers

Anyone who has a skill/education and migrate with the right papers will forever be glad with the decision they made as it has proven time and again to be an effort worth making for many.

Alas!!! You still fail to comprehend. se gobe!!!

3 Likes

Re: Relocating To Uk by Limassol(m): 2:35pm On Apr 02, 2021
aboyaji:

In your words "As for me, I'd love to travel out some day, though have tried once and not approved"

I think you are not even qualified to speak on this topic.

5 Likes

Re: Relocating To Uk by justwise(m): 2:57pm On Apr 02, 2021
aboyaji:

Limassol has a point but you don’t .

8 Likes

Re: Relocating To Uk by aboyaji(m): 3:05pm On Apr 02, 2021
justwise:

Wait first, that someone failed to understand me doesn't mean I had not made a point.

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Uk by aboyaji(m): 3:06pm On Apr 02, 2021
Limassol:

In your words "As for me, I'd love to travel out some day, though have tried once and not approved"

I think you are not even qualified to speak on this topic.

Haha!!! The almighty.
Re: Relocating To Uk by Limassol(m): 3:14pm On Apr 02, 2021
aboyaji:

Wait first, that someone failed to understand me doesn't mean I had not made a point.

Shey na with french you dey type ni?

If you think I don't get you, kindly explain yourself better.
Re: Relocating To Uk by ifeanyiene18(m): 3:16pm On Apr 02, 2021
If u can survive in a harsh place like here, you will thrive in an organised society. Make una no dey discourage people from travelling. angryIf u can survive in a harsh place like here, you will thrive in an organised society. Make una no dey discourage people from travelling.

6 Likes

Re: Relocating To Uk by aboyaji(m): 3:26pm On Apr 02, 2021
Limassol:

Shey na with french you dey type ni?

If you think I don't get you, kindly explain yourself better.

One must not travel out only through schooling, bithing as most people made it look here on Nairaland.

A lot of avenues abound.

And as one plans traveling, he must make good plans for himself. That's all.
Re: Relocating To Uk by descarado: 3:36pm On Apr 02, 2021
Limassol:

1.Illegal immigrants
2. Refugees
3. Asylum seekers

Thank you.
See his mouth as few Nigerians are making it abroad.

I have seen Nigerians that came in as students, alternate with some agency work especially during this pandemic that schooling is online.

These guys will end up making more than they paid for schooling and still help their people at home.

It's only idiots that will travel abroad and lose his sense.

Go to retail shops, blacks are their major customers. What do that tell this guy that's pulling out stat from his bum.

He should have gone back to Nigeria or is he among the few that's balling?

Oh, the ego of man.

10 Likes

Re: Relocating To Uk by descarado: 3:39pm On Apr 02, 2021
justwise:

Even justwise is angry cheesy

As long as it's legit, please travel if you can.

Now we are not only the world's Poverty capital but unemployment too.

And the value of naira keep on falling.

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Uk by Nobody: 3:39pm On Apr 02, 2021
justwise:

Just as you don't have a point because you failed to understand him.

3 Likes

Re: Relocating To Uk by Limassol(m): 3:54pm On Apr 02, 2021
aboyaji:

One must not travel out only through schooling, bithing as most people made it look here on Nairaland.

A lot of avenues abound.

And as one plans traveling, he must make good plans for himself. That's all.

So you just wanna argue for the sake of it , right?
Re: Relocating To Uk by aboyaji(m): 4:03pm On Apr 02, 2021
Limassol:

So you just wanna argue for the sake of it , right?
Who are you and where are you coming from?

2 Likes

Re: Relocating To Uk by FiverrTutor(m): 4:18pm On Apr 02, 2021
henro757:

Oga you talk too much. Were you born before 1983?
Re: Relocating To Uk by FiverrTutor(m): 4:22pm On Apr 02, 2021
henro757:

Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 6:32pm On Apr 02, 2021
FiverrTutor:

nah coming from someone like you with 50 posts on nairaland since 2017, you are taking the biscuit man. Im asking a question and hoped to be answered by people who are living In London and have full rights.nor B those wey go Ghana Pls

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Before You Relocate To Ghana,read This! / Nigerians In Minnesota / What They Dont Tell You About America. From Someone Living In America.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.