Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,474 members, 7,958,439 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 02:20 PM

Is Easter Celebration For Christians? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Easter Celebration For Christians? (273 Views)

Easter Celebration In Imo State(pictures) / The Monitor Lizard I Killed For My Easter Celebration (Easter Sunday) / Christmas Is A Celebration For Pagans – Daddy Freeze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Easter Celebration For Christians? by ogtechinc(m): 8:15am On Apr 03, 2021
Origin of Easter: From pagan festivals and Christianity to bunnies and chocolate eggs

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-15/the-origins-of-easter-from-pagan-roots-to-chocolate-eggs/8440134#:~:text=But%20in%20English-speaking%20countries,equinox%2C"%20Professor%20Cusack%20said.

Does the origin of Easter really matter or be ignored?

What are your thoughts?

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration For Christians? by DappaD: 8:24am On Apr 03, 2021
ogtechinc:
Origin of Easter: From pagan festivals and Christianity to bunnies and chocolate eggs
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-15/the-origins-of-easter-from-pagan-roots-to-chocolate-eggs/8440134#:~:text=But%20in%20English-speaking%20countries,equinox%2C"%20Professor%20Cusack%20said.

What are your thoughts?

It really does matter to make sure of what is pleasing and acceptable to God. Ephesians 5:10, 1Thessalonians 5:21
And since it has been resounded and well-documented that this “Easter” celebration has unsavory & pagan origins, anyone who is willing to please God should “quit touching the unclean thing”(2Corinthians 6:17) because it is not possible to be partaking of God’s table and still eat from the table of demons as well. 1Corinthians 10:20-22

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration For Christians? by ogtechinc(m): 8:37am On Apr 03, 2021
DappaD:

It really does matter to make sure of what is pleasing and acceptable to God. Ephesians 5:10, 1Thessalonians 5:21
And since it has been resounded and well-documented that this “Easter” celebration has unsavory & pagan origins, anyone who is willing to please God should “quit touching the unclean thing”(2Corinthians 6:17) because it is not possible to be partaking of God’s table and still eat from the table of demons as well. 1Corinthians 10:20-22

This is be very strong.... I believe you are saying it should not be celebrated.
Re: Is Easter Celebration For Christians? by DappaD: 8:46am On Apr 03, 2021
ogtechinc:

This is be very strong.... I believe you are saying it should not be celebrated.

According to Jesus’ half brother, “if someone knows how to do what is right and yet does not do it, it is a sin for him” James 4:17
Already, so many people are in this category who turn a blind eye even after they are familiar with the truth of many things.

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration For Christians? by ogtechinc(m): 9:01am On Apr 03, 2021
DappaD:

According to Jesus’ half brother, “if someone knows how to do what is right and yet does not do it, it is a sin for him” James 4:17
Already, so many people are in this category who turn a blind eye even after they are familiar with the truth of many things.

I like the fact that you always speaks from the Bible....
Re: Is Easter Celebration For Christians? by MightySparrow: 10:27am On Apr 03, 2021
ogtechinc:

What are your thoughts?

The first mention of Easter is in acts

4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people. Acts 12: 4
Whatever, and however the Easter meant or is celebrated, I don't think the Apostles ate chocolates. grin grin
Re: Is Easter Celebration For Christians? by Janosky: 12:32pm On Apr 03, 2021
MightySparrow:

The first mention of Easter is in acts

4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people. Acts 12: 4
Whatever, and however the Easter meant or is celebrated, I don't think the Apostles ate chocolates. grin grin

It's DUBIOUS and improper for KJV Bible to use the word "Easter" at Acts 12:4.
At Acts 12:4 & elsewhere in the holy Scriptures, the Passover (Greek 3957 lexicon ) is not Easter.
The Screenshots proofs is very luminous.
In Bible times, Jehovah's Servants have ZERO connection to Easter, a pagan festivity.

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration For Christians? by MightySparrow: 2:34pm On Apr 03, 2021
Janosky:

At Acts 12:4 & elsewhere in the holy Scriptures, the Passover (Greek 3957 lexicon ) is not Easter.
In Bible times, Jehovah's Servants have ZERO connection to Easter, a pagan festivity.
Apostles ate chocolates grin
Re: Is Easter Celebration For Christians? by CodeTemplar: 2:36pm On Apr 03, 2021
No. . . it is for Easterners.
Re: Is Easter Celebration For Christians? by jmoore(m): 7:02pm On Apr 03, 2021
So you are saying that Jesus is a pagan.

What is Easter? Easter is a Christian holiday that
celebrates the belief in the resurrection of Jesus
Christ.

So how does celebrating the resurrection of Jesus has
anything to do with pagan?

Are you implying that pagans celebrated the
resurrection of Jesus Christ?

All these nonsense attacks on easter and linking it to
paganism is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. It doesn't even make sense.
Re: Is Easter Celebration For Christians? by FirstSon01: 7:08pm On Apr 03, 2021
Y'all religion isn't so correct after all

that's why you take some parts of the old testament and leave the parts you don't like cheesy
Re: Is Easter Celebration For Christians? by MightySparrow: 7:15pm On Apr 03, 2021
Janosky:

What I reacted to is the issue of rabbit and eggs and chocolate. I, myself do not celebrate Easter. What caught my attention is the chocolate. I don't think chocolate was available in the time of the Apostles. I tried to see the chronological arrangements of the posters. You may have a clue to that. Chocolate and Apostles
Re: Is Easter Celebration For Christians? by RandomGuy48: 7:51pm On Apr 03, 2021
Unfortunately, the article linked has a number of inaccuracies. It's not the worst in this area as it at least qualifies some of its errors as being possibilities, but nevertheless it's misleading. Let's look at some of its claims.

First, it tries to suggest a link between pagan spring equinox celebrations and Easter. This makes little sense. Not only is Easter not ever on the spring equinox, Easter a Christian continuance of the Jewish Passover (the words for Easter and Passover are even the same in some languages!). Trying to find some connection between its timing and pagan celebrations simply makes little sense when the obvious answer is that its timing comes from Passover.

I am glad the article correctly notes that in most countries, the name for Easter comes from Passover (e.g. Pascha, Pasqua, Paaske, Paques). Now, it mentions that the English word Easter, at least according to an 8th century writer named Bede, comes from a pagan goddess named Eostre. This is certainly a possibility, though I should note that the name, more properly, appears to come from the month of Eosturmonab (April in their calendar), which was named after Eostre, giving even less of a connection. And that's even assuming it's correct. Outside of Bede's mention here, there's no direct proof that this Eostre ever existed to begin with. And even if it is true, this is a name that emerged well after the celebration was already being done in other countries under the name of pascha.

More problematic is its statement that "In Germany the festival is called Ostern, and the goddess is called Ostara." As far as I can tell, there is no mention of Ostara in the historical record at all, and Ostara being an alternate name for Eostre was a speculation by Jacob Grimm in the 19th century.

Despite its implication of Easter eggs being traced back to paganism, Easter eggs emerged later on in the middle ages, too late for there to be a plausible pagan connection.

On the rabbits, the article talks somewhat out of both sides of its mouth. It claims "Rabbits and hares are also associated with fertility and were symbols linked to the goddess Eostre" (which is naught more than a speculation--as noted, we have only one source for the existence of Eostre, which says nothing about her being associated with rabbits). But then it admits that the first mention of the Easter rabbit is in a book from 1722! Even if Eostre did have a connection to rabbits, it would be simple coincidence that they became associated with Easter because the Easter rabbit first appeared so late in history.

So the article really doesn't back up its promise of linking Easter to earlier pagan ceremonies.
Re: Is Easter Celebration For Christians? by AntiChristian: 2:12am On Apr 04, 2021
It is for idolators!

(1) (Reply)

Different Types Of Prayer- Amorc / Hon. Dosara Fetes Constituent, Distributes Over 3,000 Sallah Dresses, Cash / Jesus Says No Worker Of Iniquity Among Us Shall Enter Into His Kingdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.