Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,288 members, 7,818,980 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu (583 Views)

Joe Okei-Odumakin Celebrates Yinka Odumakin's 3rd Death Anniversary At OAU / Yinka Odumakin Is Dead / Yinka Odumakin: Boko Haram Can Invite El-Rufai To Their AGM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu by Afonja2: 7:56pm On Apr 03, 2021
Like millions of Nigerians, I received with profound shock the news of the death early this morning of Mr. Yinka Odumakin, spokesman of Afenifere, committed fighter for democracy, dedicated civil society activist, courageous and outspoken defender of whatever ideals and principles he believed in and a patriotic citizen in every sense of the word.

Ever since his student days, Odumakin had been fearless and unrelenting in speaking up in promoting the cause of justice and what he perceived as the best interest of the citizens of Nigeria. He participated actively at the forefront in the various students and youth struggles against successive military dictatorships in the 1980s and 1990s. In the process, he was arrested, harassed and even detained several times. Yet, he never allowed himself to succumb to tyranny or be pressured into submissive and pliant silence.

In the struggle against the annulment of the June 12, 1993, presidential election and the perpetuation of military dictatorship, Odumakin was never found wanting. He was at the vanguard of the battle even at the risk of his life and liberty. It is impossible to credibly tell the story of the emergence of the democracy we enjoy in this dispensation today without emblazoning Odumakin’s name in gold. He was a doughty fighter for freedom and the rule of law. He was rock solid in his commitment to Afenifere, the Yoruba people and the several other civil society groups in which he played active roles.

Odumakin never held public office. But he has been a constant feature and part of our public consciousness over the last two decades of this unbroken democratic dispensation. He epitomized the true definition of the citizen; a patriot who was ever conscious of the fact that his life could not be complete or his humanity meaningful if he did not take an active interest in and join likeminded fellow citizens in seeking always to promote the common good of his community and country.

In the course of the last two and a half decades, Odumakin and I had cause to collaborate in various organizations and in pursuit of different political causes at different times and I can testify to his capacity for hard work, his brilliance, his tenacity in his loyalty to his cherished principles. Even if we differed politically, I had no cause to doubt his sincerity in charting his chosen path. He will forever remain a model of what a citizen who places the good of his country above his personal interest could be. For, given his talents and abilities, Odumakin could easily have opted to focus on his personal welfare and that of his family rather than embroil himself in the several struggles he dedicated his life to.

It is certainly not fortuitous that his wife, the indefatigable Amazon, Dr Joe Odumakin, was Yinka’s comrade in struggle and active collaborator in fighting for justice, liberty and the dignity of the underprivileged. They were iconic soul mates in the ceaseless battle for a better and greater Nigeria.

I join millions of Nigerians in condoling with Dr. Odumakin and her family in this sad hour. May God comfort and strengthen them even as they take solace in the massive outpouring of grief nationwide at Yinka’s painful passage.

I also express my heartfelt condolences to Chief Ayo Adebanjo, the Afenifere leader, and all other leaders and members of Afenifere as well as all Yinka’s associates in the civil society movement. His life vividly demonstrates once again, in the immortal words of Chief Obafemi Awolowo that “it is not life that matters but the courage you bring into it” and that it is not how long we live but how well and productively that matters. Odumakin is gone. But he lives on in the memory of millions of his compatriots. May his soul rest in peace.

SIGNED

ASIWAJU BOLA AHMED TINUBU

3 Likes

Re: Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu by longetivity(m): 8:01pm On Apr 03, 2021
JAGABAN has paid his condolence

what does the Igbos has to say about this?

RIP TO A GREAT SON OF OODUA, you are a HERO

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu by elody: 8:11pm On Apr 03, 2021
Are you sure this statement is from Tinubu?
Re: Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu by LegendHero(m): 8:14pm On Apr 03, 2021
elody:

It’s from him. Below is one of his quotes.

“Even the obstacles on my way, I predict them before those that will bring them will start to think about them. I plan for betrayal, I plan for backstabbing, I also plan for reunion and forgiveness long before they happen. In life, I expect nothing, I expect anything, I expect everything.”

—Asiwaju Bola Tinubu

RIP to Mr. Odumakin. His death is painful but Allah knows best!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu by Mozino007(m): 8:16pm On Apr 03, 2021
elody:
my guy that s pure politics...
Re: Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu by raumdeuter: 8:24pm On Apr 03, 2021
Classy

1 Like

Re: Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu by Terorislam: 8:26pm On Apr 03, 2021
The death of this man should be investigated, Bola Tinubu can not be trusted
Re: Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu by raumdeuter: 8:34pm On Apr 03, 2021
Compare this Tinubus tribute to what Obasanjo said about Kashamu when he died

Class is permanent

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu by sapoyoro(m): 8:36pm On Apr 03, 2021
raumdeuter:

Class is permanent
"Where are the cows"?
Re: Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu by francisbarrack(m): 8:39pm On Apr 03, 2021
D Jagaban be spoken. May God continue to b with d family in this trial time
Re: Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu by AmbaliJ: 8:41pm On Apr 03, 2021
Smh. For some people, there is nothing Tinubu will ever do or say that would ever be good enough. But thank God say man no be God. To his haters, he might as well just die for them to ever be satisfied. But then again, such is the fate of many a great men. You don't have to like him, but that nigga, as imperfect as he is, was always destined to be great by grace, in spite of his legion of haters. Which is why he keeps rising like a phoenix whenever his enemies write him off. Na providence make am so, not any man. Y'all stay hating. Won't change nothing.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu by raumdeuter: 8:42pm On Apr 03, 2021
raumdeuter:

Class is permanent

“Senator Esho Jinadu (Buruji Kashmu) in his lifetime used the maneuver of law and politics to escape from facing justice on alleged criminal offence in Nigeria and outside Nigeria,” the former president said.

“But no legal, political, cultural, social or even medical maneuver could stop the cold hands of death when the Creator of all of us decides that the time is up.

4 Likes

Re: Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu by seunmsg(m): 8:43pm On Apr 03, 2021
elody:

Tinubu and Yinka Odumakin have been allies for over 20 years. Whatever disagreement they had manifested around 2014. I remember when Tinubu and OGD were having media war sometimes around 2004/2005, it was Odumakin that led the war on behalf of Tinubu.

Fact is, there is nothing wrong in people disagreeing politically. They are both human being with imperfections. Yinka is dead now and we must respect his memory. Whatever disagreement they had is now over. Taba nja, bi kaku ko.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu by Lcf69(m): 8:49pm On Apr 03, 2021
Mr Yinka had a style and,it's etched on Earth forever...... PINNED.

1 Like

Re: Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu by sapoyoro(m): 8:55pm On Apr 03, 2021
longetivity:
JAGABAN has paid his condolence

what does the Igbos has to say about this?

RIP TO A GREAT SON OF OODUA, you are a HERO
Nobe brainless tinubu supporters like u dey mock d dead man?
Wetin concern Igbo..
Lol
Re: Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu by kayusely70(m): 8:56pm On Apr 03, 2021
seunmsg:

Tinubu and Yinka Odumakin have been allies for over 20 years. Whatever disagreement they had manifested around 2014. I remember when Tinubu and OGD were having media war sometimes around 2004/2005, it was Odumakin that led the war on behalf of Tinubu.

Fact is, there is nothing wrong in people disagreeing politically. They are both human being with imperfections. Yinka is dead now and we must respect his memory. Whatever disagreement they had is now over. Taba nja, bi kaku ko.
You've spoken very well!
Re: Yinka Odumakin: Premature Departure Of A Bright Star- Tinubu by sapoyoro(m): 8:56pm On Apr 03, 2021
[quote author=seunmsg post=100461151]

Fact is, there is nothing wrong in people disagreeing politically. They are both human being with imperfections. Yinka is dead now and we must respect his memory. Whatever disagreement they had is now over. Taba nja, bi kaku ko. [/quote
A good message for fellow alailopolo tinubu media and online goats.]

(1) (Reply)

What Happened To Kemi Adeosun's Efficiency Unit? / A Better Approach To Curbing The Menace Of Herdsmen In Igbo Land. / Nigerian Soldiers Celebrate After Capturing Boko Haram Stronghold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.