Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,706 members, 7,820,469 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping (1774 Views)

I Have This Igbo Song Stuck On My Head But I Don't Know The Title. I Need Help. / Izzi-Ezaa-Mgbo-Ikwo dialect cluster / What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by SlayerForever: 9:27pm On Apr 03, 2021
How correct is this. Take note it's not an in depth study of any sort.
I was just discussing with a colleague moments ago and I grouped the Igbo language into 3 main dialect groups namely:
1) The typical, very common "Anambra" dialect.
2) Waawa.
3) Southern Igbo.
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by immortalcrown(m): 9:36pm On Apr 03, 2021
Every State in Igbo land has more than 4 dialects. So, you are yet to start your study about Igbo dialects.

4 Likes

Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by rtdCivilservant: 9:41pm On Apr 03, 2021
SlayerForever:
I was just discussing with a colleague moments ago and I grouped the Igbo language into 3 main dialect groups namely:
2) Waawa.
3) Southern Igbo.
Did u mean 'southern or central igbo'?
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by SlayerForever: 9:44pm On Apr 03, 2021
immortalcrown:
Every State in Igbo land has more than 4 dialects. So, you are yet to start your study about Igbo dialects.

I said "main". Most of those are subdialects under a wider grouping.

1 Like

Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by SlayerForever: 9:45pm On Apr 03, 2021
rtdCivilservant:
Did u mean 'southern or central igbo'?

Southern. Think Abia, Imo etc.
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by rtdCivilservant: 9:46pm On Apr 03, 2021
SlayerForever:

Southern. Think Abia, Imo etc.
Just heard this one today o, but the very common igbo dialect is the 'central igbo', and not the 'Anambra igbo'.
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by SlayerForever: 9:57pm On Apr 03, 2021
rtdCivilservant:

Just heard this one today o, but the very common igbo dialect is the 'central igbo', and not the 'Anambra igbo'.

Hmm.
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by ChinenyeN(m): 12:05am On Apr 04, 2021
That is an oversimplification. So I’ll ultimately say it’s unfounded. Here is the truth.

There are two major isoglosses. We will call them Isogloss-A and Isogloss-B; A & B for short. They are characterized by the following features:

1. Switch between h/r. A uses h, B uses r.
2. Switch between r/l. A uses r, B uses l.
3. Switch between h/f. A uses h, B uses f.
4. Switch between l/n. A uses l, B uses n.

Due to the the fact that the idea of “Igbo” is hyper focused on Anambra primarily and then Imo secondarily, the impression now exists that this isogloss dichotomy is an Anambra-Imo thing. By effect, it is treated as a “Northern Igbo”-“Southern Igbo” thing. This is far from the truth and the picture is more complex.

There are are communities in A that use f and not h (with regards to this switching). There are communities in B that use h and not r (with regards to this switching). Long story short, these two isoglosses are not sufficient enough to characterize all existing lects. Likewise, an “isogloss list” that separates Waawa, but does not separate the old Bende group of lects is not well-put-together.

So no. Igbo cannot be separated into only three major lectal groups. We will need more than that to fully characterize and delineate all the surviving lects.

2 Likes

Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by SlayerForever: 8:54am On Apr 04, 2021
ChinenyeN:
That is an oversimplification. So I’ll ultimately say it’s unfounded. Here is the truth.

There are two major isoglosses. We will call them Isogloss-A and Isogloss-B; A & B for short. They are characterized by the following features:

Due to the the fact that the idea of “Igbo” is hyper focused on Anambra primarily and then Imo secondarily, the impression now exists that this isogloss dichotomy is an Anambra-Imo thing. By effect, it is treated as a “Northern Igbo”-“Southern Igbo” thing. This is far from the truth and the picture is more complex.

There are are communities in A that use f and not h (with regards to this switching). There are communities in B that use h and not r (with regards to this switching). Long story short, these two isoglosses are not sufficient enough to characterize all existing lects. Likewise, an “isogloss list” that separates Waawa, but does not separate the old Bende group of lects is not well-put-together.

So no. Igbo cannot be separated into only three major lectal groups. We will need more than that to fully characterize and delineate all the surviving lects.

Okay.
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by SlayerForever: 8:58am On Apr 04, 2021
ChinenyeN:

The Bende group should be able to fall into one main group.

Anyway it depends on the parameters one uses to distinguish and group the dialects.
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by ChinenyeN(m): 3:45pm On Apr 04, 2021
SlayerForever:
The Bende group should be able to fall into one main group.

No, they would not actually. As a case-in-point, the sound shifts that have come to characterize the “Anambra-Imo” dichotomy (the Isogloss A vs B) are often not applicable to the Afikpo, Alayi, Aro axis. There’s actually even more variety of shifts within this axis than in the well-known “Anambra-Imo” dichotomy, so you would need at least an additional isogloss to sufficiently characterize some of these lects.

SlayerForever:
Anyway it depends on the parameters one uses to distinguish and group the dialects.

Yes, and there is such a thing as insufficient. A set of parameters that only defines two or three “main dialect groups” is insufficient for delineating all surviving lects.

1 Like

Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by SlayerForever: 4:10pm On Apr 04, 2021
ChinenyeN:

Yes, and there is such a thing as insufficient. A set of parameters that only defines two or three “main dialect groups” is insufficient for delineating all surviving lects.

Haha. Okay.
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by RedboneSmith(m): 7:50am On Apr 05, 2021
SlayerForever:
2) Waawa.
3) Southern Igbo.

This doesn't even begin to cover it.

2 Likes

Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by SlayerForever: 9:12am On Apr 05, 2021
RedboneSmith:

This doesn't even begin to cover it.

It can't get much further than this classification.
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by Probz(m): 10:10am On Apr 05, 2021
SlayerForever:
2) Waawa.
3) Southern Igbo.

4. Izzi (Abakaliki)
5. Ezza-Mgbo.-Ikwo
6. Afikpo (somewhere between 3 and 5 in terms of grouping)

Maybe if you added these your list would be a bit more comprehensive.
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by SlayerForever: 10:44am On Apr 05, 2021
Probz:

4. Izzi (Abakaliki)
5. Ezza-Mgbo.-Ikwo
6. Afikpo (somewhere between 3 and 5 in terms of grouping)

Maybe if you added these your list would be a bit more comprehensive.

I've heard Ezza. I would group it under 2, it's just really divergent such that one would think it is unique. I haven't heard it's sister tones but I'd wager it's the same case. Same applies to Afikpo. With the accent.
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by Probz(m): 11:11am On Apr 05, 2021
SlayerForever:

I've heard Ezza. I would group it under 2, it's just really divergent such that one would think it is unique. I haven't heard it's sister tones but I'd wager it's the same case. Same applies to Afikpo. With the accent.

Izzi’s the most divergent of them all.
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by SlayerForever: 11:16am On Apr 05, 2021
Probz:

Izzi’s the most divergent of them all.

Hmm I see.
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by ThumbzTNA(m): 1:42pm On Apr 05, 2021
Afikpo can be grouped with Ohafia, Arochukwu, Bende dialects of Abia. If you have ear for one, you'll understand the rest

Some words unique to this dialect are

Jokwa - Well-done, Good morning. Greetings generally

Kaa - Sorry

Okpogo - Money

Mie - blood
etc

1 Like

Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by SlayerForever: 2:28pm On Apr 05, 2021
ThumbzTNA:

Afikpo can be grouped with Ohafia, Arochukwu, Bende dialects of Abia. If you have ear for one, you'll understand the rest

Some words unique to this dialect are

Jokwa - Well-done, Good morning. Greetings generally

Kaa - Sorry

Okpogo - Money

Mie - blood
etc

Kaa unique? Kaa is common across Waawa in Enugu. Mie sounds familiar too.
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by ChinenyeN(m): 9:13pm On Apr 06, 2021
I’m a bit confused on why you’ll state that your grouping is not based on an in-depth study, then ask what others think (all of whom have disagreed), yet you disagree with them all.

So on what basis are you disagreeing? Was your grouping actually based on an a deeper study? If so, why hide that? If you’ve got any novel information or considerations that informed your attempt to group the various lects, feel free to share it.

I don’t know about most, but I know there are at least a handful of NL’ders that would be interested in learning how, why and what informed your grouping.

1 Like

Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by SlayerForever: 9:52pm On Apr 06, 2021
ChinenyeN:
I’m a bit confused on why you’ll state that your grouping is not based on an in-depth study, then ask what others think (all of whom have disagreed), yet you disagree with them all.

So on what basis are you disagreeing? Was your grouping actually based on an a deeper study? If so, why hide that? If you’ve got any novel information or considerations that informed your attempt to group the various lects, feel free to share it.

I don’t know about most, but I know there are at least a handful of NL’ders that would be interested in learning how, why and what informed your grouping.

First paragraph. Lol. I'm just like that. One would have to disprove my point beyond reasonable doubt before I yield.

Considerations, hmm. I do have reasons why I have tried to group the various dialects. However my reasons are beyond just lexicology and linguistics. I'm looking more at origin. In essence, I'm asking "why do the dialects sound so different in the first place, but similar enough amongst themselves such that they can be grouped". Different origins but one root? Different progenitors(but all related) for the main dialect clusters? With each having a different fancy for some words as against others? How did the difference come about on that basic level(I dont mean influence from other groups as in borrowed words and accent. That is usually at the top. Like superficial).

I'm just really into details and I find patterns interesting. For it to now be my own language in question, you can imagine.
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by SlayerForever: 9:58pm On Apr 06, 2021
A lot of times we're discussing about loan words and unique words in our various dialects and influence from other languages. But who is asking "how did the language come to be?", "What is its origin?", "How has the language morphed over the ages?(I hypotesise that if we hear Igbo from a thousand years ago we may only just understand it a bit. Not fully. And many will be shocked). How expansively spoken was the language spoken, what area did spoken Igbo cover exactly, how far northwards, westwards and easternly did Igbo go? etc etc

I don't see anybody asking these.
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by ChinenyeN(m): 12:40am On Apr 08, 2021
SlayerForever, Nairaland may not be the right place for you then. Granted, there are still a handful of us here that actively engage in the sort of topic you are referring to. If you search for AjaanaOka and my own handle (ChinenyeN) on Nairaland, you should be able to find a number of threads where we discuss many different topics within this same domain that you are talking about. Most people, however, do not touch this sort of topic, but I believe many of them are interested. They just don’t know how they can contribute to it, so they will more eagerly follow threads where others are discussing things.

SlayerForever:
Considerations, hmm. I do have reasons why I have tried to group the various dialects. However my reasons are beyond just lexicology and linguistics. I'm looking more at origin.In essence, I'm asking "why do the dialects sound so different in the first place, but similar enough amongst themselves such that they can be grouped". Different origins but one root? Different progenitors(but all related) for the main dialect clusters? With each having a different fancy for some words as against others? How did the difference come about on that basic level(I dont mean influence from other groups as in borrowed words and accent. That is usually at the top. Like superficial)

I see. Now I am understanding your three-group listing better (or at least, I believe I am better understanding what has informed it). This is obviously a loaded question, but I don’t mind diving into it with you. So let’s start with what we see.

You’ve presented a list of three categories that you believe characterizes all surviving lects. You’ve also just recently shared that you are looking beyond lexicology in building this list. Now, do you mind sharing some specifics on the things beyond lexicology that informed your listing?

1 Like

Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by Ekealterego: 1:53am On Apr 08, 2021
ChinenyeN:

Koell`s Polyglata Africana in the 1840s or 50s formed the foundations of the language and dialect groupings in West Africa. I believe he had the following specimens according to him and grouped the lects thus:

1 Like

Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by SlayerForever: 5:57am On Apr 08, 2021
ChinenyeN:
SlayerForever, Nairaland may not be the right place for you then. Granted, there are still a handful of us here that actively engage in the sort of topic you are referring to. If you search for AjaanaOka and my own handle (ChinenyeN) on Nairaland, you should be able to find a number of threads where we discuss many different topics within this same domain that you are talking about. Most people, however, do not touch this sort of topic, but I believe many of them are interested. They just don’t know how they can contribute to it, so they will more eagerly follow threads where others are discussing things.

Great. I will check this up later.
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by SlayerForever: 6:00am On Apr 08, 2021
ChinenyeN:

I see. Now I am understanding your three-group listing better (or at least, I believe I am better understanding what has informed it). This is obviously a loaded question, but I don’t mind diving into it with you. So let’s start with what we see.

You’ve presented a list of three categories that you believe characterizes all surviving lects. You’ve also just recently shared that you are looking beyond lexicology in building this list. Now, do you mind sharing some specifics on the things beyond lexicology that informed your listing?

Ancestry (Hypothesized).
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by ChinenyeN(m): 4:16pm On Apr 08, 2021
SlayerForever:
Ancestry (Hypothesized).

So what is the ancestry you hypothesized then?
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by SlayerForever: 5:38pm On Apr 08, 2021
ChinenyeN:

So what is the ancestry you hypothesized then?

What I mean is, what if the unique differences between the various dialect groupings were as a result of (shared but) different ancestry?

Like, the three main dialects groupings were all one super dialect earlier (like eons ago(which accounts for why some (less common) words are found within an area then going further along these words totally disappear, only to fantastically reappear in another corner of Igboland with no migratory backdrop whatsoever))). Then as time goes on, still eons ago, a few persons or a group of related people or even a notable figure(I will call (dialect) progenitors) begin to prefer(as humans are wont to) to speak in a particular way, using particular words of that super dialect as against others words. Maybe it happens concurrently or it happens later but another group of closely related people grow a fondness for some other words of choice and then another group too. Ofcourse the whole words of the super dialect are not(and probably CAN NOT be) shared out equally amongst the three groups, there are uncountable overlaps, words that can be found across the three groups.

And in that way generations and generations later this preferences of the earliest (dialect) progenitors become the bedrock of 3 main dialects of the once, one super dialect.

Hypothesis again.
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by WinterMinter(m): 9:01pm On Apr 08, 2021
I am not fluent in igbo language but I prefer to speak the Anambra igbo to the central igbo although my origin speaks half Anambra and half imo so I switched to the Anambra igbo like onitcha,nnewi and idemili
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by WinterMinter(m): 9:01pm On Apr 08, 2021
I am not fluent in igbo language but I prefer to speak the Anambra igbo to the central igbo although my origin speaks half Anambra and half imo so I switched to the Anambra igbo like onitcha,nnewi and idemili
Re: How Correct Is This Igbo Dialect Grouping by SlayerForever: 9:09pm On Apr 08, 2021
Ekealterego:

Koell`s Polyglata Africana in the 1840s or 50s formed the foundations of the language and dialect groupings in West Africa. I believe he had the following specimens according to him and grouped the lects thus:

My observations are based wholly on personal experience and deduction.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Celebration Of The "Uwaji",coronation Of Chiefs By Eze Okpoko 1 Of "Obi Eziokwu" / Ifa Book / The Fall Of Illorin; How Illorin Was Permanently Lost To The Fulanis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.