Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

Best Way To Stop Rats Please From Entering The House - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Best Way To Stop Rats Please From Entering The House (795 Views)

Meet 'Snakeman' Who Lives With 120 Pet Snakes, 70 Spiders, Bald Rats In Wales / Policemen Shot Dog When It Prevented Them From Entering A Compound (graphic) / Nigerian Girl Vickie Shows Off Her 2 Giant Pet Rats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Way To Stop Rats Please From Entering The House by 1Odedeji(m): 1:35am On Apr 07, 2021
Please, I need suggestions ���
Re: Best Way To Stop Rats Please From Entering The House by Hashabiah: 1:39am On Apr 07, 2021
I would suggest you get a cat but know this : cats can be nuisances once they mature and will tend to prey on other smaller domestic animals. So consider carefully

Peace
Re: Best Way To Stop Rats Please From Entering The House by kunlesufyan(m): 6:12am On Apr 08, 2021
Hashabiah:
I would suggest you get a cat but know this : cats can be nuisances once they mature and will tend to prey on other smaller domestic animals. So consider carefully

Peace

It's not always true. Get a kitten not an older cat. I have two cats and they are pretty cool. They even go out to poo.
Re: Best Way To Stop Rats Please From Entering The House by Sezwho(m): 3:37pm On Apr 10, 2021
If you want an animal to handle rats, I’d suggest a dog instead of a cat. A lot of rats are too big and strong for most cats to manage without getting injured themselves. I’ve used small terriers to kill rats and they’re very good at it. They were bred to kill rats and other things like that so they don’t tolerate them on the property at all. Just have a look online if you search for “terriers ratting” and watch any of those videos you’ll see what I mean about how they deal with those pests. To be honest I’ve even trained local dogs (ekuke) to deal with rats, they seem to be very good at it. We all know how quickly rats spread in Nigeria but my dogs kept our compound clear of rats for as long as they were alive.

Alternatively you need to search for all the holes rats are using to come in and out and seal them up with filler, cement, or any building material that will form a solid barrier and harden in place. The holes and gaps have to be totally covered because rats can come in through very small spaces. If you use metal mesh, you still need to use the filling material as well because rats can chew through the metal quite easily.
In most Nigerian houses, the roof space is a real problem, so pay careful attention to that space.
While you do that, also put traps and poison in the areas where you’ve seen rat activity. Please remember, no matter how often you tell a small child not to do something, they’ll still do it. So if there are kids in the house, don’t use the poison except up in the roof if you’re sure the kids can’t reach it there, and make sure to put the traps somewhere the kids can’t reach even if they try.

I won’t lie, rat proofing a house is hard, which is why I bought the dogs.

1 Like

Re: Best Way To Stop Rats Please From Entering The House by Aremukareem: 7:59pm On Apr 10, 2021
The Nigerian Dog breed

The nigerian dog breed is an elegant, special and attractive dog breed with outstanding features They are well known as "Ekuke" which is an old and meaningless name which the dog doesn't deserve. The nigerian dog breed is called " The Rarehunter" meaning a strong, intelligent guard/ hunting dog which is rare and most lovable”.

A lot of breeds(uncertified) with little knowledge mix the rarehunter with other foreign/unknown breeds just to satisfy their needs. Mix breeding isn't a crime but too much if everything is bad.

70% of Rarehunters in Nigeria are mixed while 30% are pure in which most are found in rural areas.

The Rarehunter is majestic but Nigerians treat them as trash.

There's a myth that say Nigerian dog breeds were originated from basenji, which is truly false. This breeds are more than 100 years old. Ancient photos shows the rarehunter's was used by ancient ancestors. They are the only ancient breed in Nigeria .

They were never a crossbreed of basenji, this was all lies done without research.

Myth 2: They say the rarehunter eats anything, who said such, guess! Uneducated fellows. You can't just say so because you treat you pet that way. Rarehunters also rejects meals especially mine.

A starving dog can eat anything So are a starving human can eat anything. Stop hosting propaganda.

Check https://Resourcesmadeeasy.xyz

You will be amazed of the information on this pet site. That's where I learnt this info from.

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Balami Pure Breed / Rott On HEAT For Sale / Lovely Pets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.