Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,808 members, 7,820,833 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

Planting During Rainy Season - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Planting During Rainy Season (1537 Views)

The Machinery "Big John" Used For Planting Trees In Lagos (Photos) / Cash From Pawpaw Plantation – In Just 6 Months After Planting / FarmLands For Crop Planting In Ogun State Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Planting During Rainy Season by jojomolono: 8:42am On Apr 07, 2021
Hello guys,

I have recently decided to get into agriculture and I want to get an acre of land to test things out. But we're in april now and rainy season will almost start. Is there any crop which can still be planted during rainy season?

I have spoken to a few farmers, and they said that this is very difficult, and will not yield any profit. They told me about things like cucumber and tomatoes, but those perish quickly.

So my question is: which crop can I plant in rainy season, which doesn't perish quickly after harvest, and from which I can still receive profit?

Thanks in advance!
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Nezzjnr: 9:38am On Apr 07, 2021
Go for Cassava
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Nezzjnr: 9:39am On Apr 07, 2021
Where's your base
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by jojomolono: 1:01pm On Apr 07, 2021
Nezzjnr:
Where's your base

We want to get plots of land in Bayelsa. And after harvest sell the crops in Lagos. Do you think Cassava is the only option? Or are there any other options?
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Nezzjnr: 1:05pm On Apr 07, 2021
jojomolono:

We want to get plots of land in Bayelsa. And after harvest sell the crops in Lagos. Do you think Cassava is the only option? Or are there any other options?
Anything you're planning for especially Vegetables... Your 1st plan should be about irrigation.

So I'll say start with cassava
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by jojomolono: 2:54pm On Apr 07, 2021
Nezzjnr:

Anything you're planning for especially Vegetables... Your 1st plan should be about irrigation.

So I'll say start with cassava
The people who I work with advised me not to get started with farming now, because during rainy season a lot of problems will pop up. You're telling me now that I can plant all the vegetables that I want. I'm fairly now to agriculture, so my apologies for not having a very good understanding.

So is it correct that you can farm any vegetable during rainy season without any problems?

Do you have any contact details so that we can discuss further?
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Nezzjnr: 2:59pm On Apr 07, 2021
jojomolono:

The people who I work with advised me not to get started with farming now, because during rainy season a lot of problems will pop up. You're telling me now that I can plant all the vegetables that I want. I'm fairly now to agriculture, so my apologies for not having a very good understanding.

So is it correct that you can farm any vegetable during rainy season without any problems?

Do you have any contact details so that we can discuss further?
You are misunderstanding me

When going for Vegetables (Tomatoes, Peppers and Cucumbers)

You need to plan for constant irrigation... You can't predict the Rainfall now.... That's why I said you should start with Cassava because it needs minimal Rain and Fertilizer to gain vegetative growth during the drought season.
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Farmerakinloye6(m): 4:58pm On Apr 07, 2021
jojomolono:

please explain this "just A plot in bayelsa then sell the produce harvest in LAGOS undecided" your produce will almost equivalent to the TP. You are confusing me right now undecided....*modify" I get now plots. Next time use acres or hectares.

1 Like

Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Farmerakinloye6(m): 5:07pm On Apr 07, 2021
Op, Nezzjnr is given you good advise. As a newbie start with cassava to gain experience, then by next year you can try other commodity. Cassava is one of the rugged commodity that no how you will see your own.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Nezzjnr: 7:28pm On Apr 07, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
Op, Nezzjnr is given you good advise. As a newbie start with cassava to gain experience, then by next year you can try other commodity. Cassava is one of the rugged commodity that no how you will see your own.
Exactly!!
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Attit: 8:19pm On Apr 07, 2021
Nezzjnr:
Go for Cassava
A good option if he doesnt want to install irrigation.i agree with you.

Farmerakinloye6:
But I disagree with you that a newbie should lay hands on cassava before trying vegetables. If this is what Nezzjr implies too, you are both wrong. A vegetable farmer is completely different from a cassava. It's only commercial scale that one needs a pro guidance which is more of "how to use machinery" and not a high tech style or knowledge of cassava. A newbie who is ready to install irrigarion should move straight to veggie if he desires. Newbie can start with OPV cukes without staking if he has a large land and can use sprinkler. Newbie can start with local veggie...ugu is good. Newbie can start with corn on a small scale. Newbie can even start with watermelon on a small scale. Newbie just needs to start small. I have guided zero experienced people and they moved into 3 plots tomato and came out as champs. If you know how to follow instructions via chatting apps, you are pro active, and meet deadlines, there is nothing special in these things.

The only big NO is when the person is trying to be smart in his mind by relying on rain during our so called rainy season. Lol. July is even hotter than March these days. I know periods we recorded 37C in July. Is that rainy season?

1 Like

Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Nezzjnr: 9:41pm On Apr 07, 2021
Attit

From the OP request... He intends depending on the Rainfall this year which isn't a wise decision to make... That's why I suggested Cassava.

If he's still a newbie.... He should try Leafy vegetables instead of Perishables so he can gain Knowledge
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Attit: 11:05pm On Apr 07, 2021
Nezzjnr:
Attit

From the OP request... He intends depending on the Rainfall this year which isn't a wise decision to make... That's why I suggested Cassava.

If he's still a newbie.... He should try Leafy vegetables instead of Perishables so he can gain Knowledge
I agree with you. If he isn't installing irrigation, he should not near veggie. It is as simple as ABC. He shouldn't even listen to anyone telling him he can use watery cans or carry hose about the farm. No sprinkler or drip systems, he should not near veggie. Shame on anyone preaching watery cans and hose in 2021. Shame on the person.

He should go into cassava gently and cultivate on huge hectares. The only reason is because he is not installing irrigation, and not cos he is a newbie. Great. I just want to clarify this cos I dont want people to get the impression that they must acquire cassava experience first before doing veggie. Thanks for the clarification.
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by oluwatosin88: 11:13pm On Apr 07, 2021
jojomolono:
Hello guys,

I have recently decided to get into agriculture and I want to get an acre of land to test things out. But we're in april now and rainy season will almost start. Is there any crop which can still be planted during rainy season?

I have spoken to a few farmers, and they said that this is very difficult, and will not yield any profit. They told me about things like cucumber and tomatoes, but those perish quickly.

So my question is: which crop can I plant in rainy season, which doesn't perish quickly after harvest, and from which I can still receive profit?

Thanks in advance!

You can plant hot pepper i.e habanero and chilli peppers,moreso you can do mixed cropping planting of a deep rooted crop and a surface feeder,for example cassava and maize would do well.After harvest for you to maximize your profits you have to process your cassava into cassava flakes(garri),the peels can be used to formulate feed for livestock and the maize you can process it into maize flour or dry powdered pap(ogi )

For more information kindly chat me up on zero nine zero 2 262 7002
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Ernerstdavid55(m): 11:16pm On Apr 07, 2021
una don 4get say person wey get irigation dey get personal bolehoe also
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:23am On Apr 08, 2021
Lastly op, you will need basic experience on how labourer behave,weed Management, TP and how market work(glut). What happen to cassava that you will see little if it happen to any vegetable hmmmm. if you choose to farm vegetable make sure you have someone that can teach you the rope, visit his or her farm and do ask questions, and if you choose cassava don't plant "huge hectares" even if you are millionaire, glut season in cassava is not funny. Have it in mind you want to learn the first year, if you profit thank God, and if you don't not at least you have gain experience.

1 Like

Re: Planting During Rainy Season by jojomolono: 7:34am On Apr 08, 2021
Nezzjnr:
Attit

You didn't understand me correctly. I do not want to depend on the rainfall. I'm looking for a crop which is strong enouh to withstand heavy rain during rainy season.
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by jojomolono: 7:37am On Apr 08, 2021
oluwatosin88:

You can plant hot pepper i.e habanero and chilli peppers,moreso you can do mixed cropping planting of a deep rooted crop and a surface feeder,for example cassava and maize would do well.After harvest for you to maximize your profits you have to process your cassava into cassava flakes(garri),the peels can be used to formulate feed for livestock and the maize you can process it into maize flour or dry powdered pap(ogi )

For more information kindly chat me up on zero nine zero 2 262 7002

So the vegetables which you mentioned above (peppers, cassava, maize) would be able to withstand the heavy rain during rainy season? Because that is a crop which I'm looking for. I just need something strong enough to withstand the heavy rain.
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Attit: 7:40am On Apr 08, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
Lastly op, you will need basic experience on how labourer behave,weed Management, TP and how market work(glut). What happen to cassava that you will see little if it happen to any vegetable hmmmm. if you choose to farm vegetable make sure you have someone that can teach you the rope, visit his or her farm and do ask questions, and if you choose cassava don't plant "huge hectares" even if you are millionaire, glut season in cassava is not funny. Have it in mind you want to learn the first year, if you profit thank God, and if you don't not at least you have gain experience.
I believe you have gotten involved in cassava and vegetables. Of course vegetables need more knowledge. But here is my point: they are two different value chains. Therefore, they have entirely different opportunities and threats. You are comparing two different crops entirely. They do not have any close relationship. So, it is wrong to compare them both. There are extremely easy veggies. I gave you one earlier - ugu. There are local green leaves too. You dont even need any knowledge of chemicals for these. And they are making serious cash at the right time. Just knowing about them and one is good to go. So, does it mean that all those doing these greens all went through the experience of cassava? Many of them will tell you that they are even easier than cassava. You have talked about weeding. You just must be find a way to address it in cassava cos for one to make it, there must be enough land area. So, there is no crop without its challenges. Cassava is with extremely low life shelf like vegetables. And there is glut for them both. So, what are you trying to say? No one should be scared of any crop.

Like I told you, I have people who prefer tomatoes to cucumber and they started right with it. Of course, they are lucky cos they have good guidance and they are smart. Some prefer watermelon. You must know yourself. There are issues one must identify. I dont just ask people to cultivate, I first access them to know the likely weaknesses. Some will have challenges with manure...some do poorly with staking....and I can easily tell you those who can navigate their way through all these challenges (you call them ropes). "A beg, no scare anyone". The truth you need to let them know is they get irrigarion ready, and they must be able to tackle workers. Then, finding good farmers to guide them is smart. Simple. Even they miss it the first time, they should get it right later. It is why they must have financial reserve just for bouncing back if the first attempt fails.

I need a balanced advice for people. Let them decide. We should not scare them off because of our personal experience.

1 Like

Re: Planting During Rainy Season by jojomolono: 7:42am On Apr 08, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
please explain this "just A plot in bayelsa then sell the produce harvest in LAGOS undecided" your produce will almost equivalent to the TP. You are confusing me right now undecided....*modify" I get now plots. Next time use acres or hectares.

So I will be getting about half an acre first, and then half an acre after that, which makes one acre. I'm looking for a crop that can withstand the heavy rain during rainy season. A crop that is strong enough.
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Attit: 7:42am On Apr 08, 2021
jojomolono:

You didn't understand me correctly. I do not want to depend on the rainfall. I'm looking for a crop which is strong enouh to withstand heavy rain during rainy season.
You can see readers. This is my point all along. Why did they make decisions for him? This is common in Nigeria..people just set standards based on their experience. Even you hear them telling you that you cannot do it because they fail. This is why the best leave Naija and dummies remain here.
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by jojomolono: 7:47am On Apr 08, 2021
Attit:

You can see readers. This is my point all along. Why did they make decisions for him? This is common in Nigeria..people just set standards based on their experience. Even you hear them telling you that you cannot do it because they fail. This is why the best leave Naija and dummies remain here.

Do you happen to know which kind of crops would be strong enough to withstand heavy rain during rainy season?
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Nezzjnr: 9:03am On Apr 08, 2021
jojomolono:

Ohhhhh.... Cucumber is out of the situation because you have to channel your resources doing Fungicide spraying twice weekly

I'll say you should do Tomatoes.... When you see your harvest.... The price should have increased then and you go buy Venza cheesy
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Nezzjnr: 9:05am On Apr 08, 2021
Attit:

I agree with you. If he isn't installing irrigation, he should not near veggie. It is as simple as ABC. He shouldn't even listen to anyone telling him he can use watery cans or carry hose about the farm. No sprinkler or drip systems, he should not near veggie. Shame on anyone preaching watery cans and hose in 2021. Shame on the person.

He should go into cassava gently and cultivate on huge hectares. The only reason is because he is not installing irrigation, and not cos he is a newbie. Great. I just want to clarify this cos I dont want people to get the impression that they must acquire cassava experience first before doing veggie. Thanks for the clarification.
Lol

People still use Hose for Half plot-3 plots

I have even seen for an acre and it came out well. cheesy cheesy

Never under-rate Man power oo
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Nezzjnr: 9:06am On Apr 08, 2021
Attit:

Don't be in a haste to conclude

I thought he was asking us which plant to go for during this rainy season.

I thought he was depending on Rain as irrigation
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Attit: 12:22pm On Apr 08, 2021
Nezzjnr:

Lol

People still use Hose for Half plot-3 plots

I have even seen for an acre and it came out well. cheesy cheesy

Never under-rate Man power oo
Can you use it? Can you irrigate 3 plots with hose? Is it profitable? When you use workers, do you usually have smooth operation? In 2021, that people still want to carry hose about is funny. Those abusing us cos we stood the ground that carrying hose is not the way are using drip and fertigation. It just goes to show they did not know it well before. They were using "brain" and working on the psychology of newbies. Lol. Now that they have managed to secure few consulting jobs, they have changed voice. They have seen the real truth. Lol.

I dont underrate man power. I know relying on human power in Nigeria is suicide mission. I will always for technology as a replacement of human power. Always.

Nezzjnr:

Don't be in a haste to conclude

I thought he was asking us which plant to go for during this rainy season.

I thought he was depending on Rain as irrigation
I did not conclude wrong. You made error in judging him he is not installing irrigation and it's why the est alternative for him was cassava you thought of. Yes, he asked for which to go for during rainy season not because he wants to ulrely on rain, but he is asking you which is good that he can easily manage knowing he is fighting many unknown challenges. The answer he needs is not the crops only, but to know the concept of rainy season farming and marketing. And then, he can decide what to do.

I dont just say ....do this....do that.. I list pros and cons...and its left for the person to choose.
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Attit: 12:44pm On Apr 08, 2021
jojomolono:

Do you happen to know which kind of crops would be strong enough to withstand heavy rain during rainy season?
Rainy season is funny these days. And all through the year, you can do almost all veggies. This is the truth. The best time to just do veggie is dry season. The reason is because of the following:

1. Flood. You tackle this by making high beds. And when you have the money to mulch, it fine. There are advance methods to tackle this also.

2. Diseases. If you know the recipe for rainy season for any crop, you can do it. It is tough, but do-able. My first cucumber was in May to July. Also, farmers in the north use dry season method and avoid rainy season. Why? We stake tomato cos of diseases caused by rain and flood. Also, we use fairly expensive to expensive seeds to resist diseases. These are the issues. Cabbage seems to do well during rainy season. You just must learn managing your choice of crop during rainy season.

And you can do cassava, cocoa, yam, corn, etc. You must know when there is rain so that you dont starve young seedlings water and nutrients.

The first step is not what can survive, but what you can sell easily. Moving from Bayelsa to Lagos may not be wise for an individual. If you are a group of farmers, fine..but just only you....it may be tough. When you know what you can sell, you can proceed. Cassava...you process to garri or dried starch. You can store yam if you.habe someone who is good with it.

Another issue is that you consider how big you land is. Also, consider availability of helping hands (farm workers). There are many issues involved.

So, what can you sell? Come up with a/some crop(s) and then, one can give you tips on how to navigate it/them.
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by jojomolono: 4:10pm On Apr 08, 2021
Attit:

Rainy season is funny these days. And all through the year, you can do almost all veggies. This is the truth. The best time to just do veggie is dry season. The reason is because of the following:

1. Flood. You tackle this by making high beds. And when you have the money to mulch, it fine. There are advance methods to tackle this also.

2. Diseases. If you know the recipe for rainy season for any crop, you can do it. It is tough, but do-able. My first cucumber was in May to July. Also, farmers in the north use dry season method and avoid rainy season. Why? We stake tomato cos of diseases caused by rain and flood. Also, we use fairly expensive to expensive seeds to resist diseases. These are the issues. Cabbage seems to do well during rainy season. You just must learn managing your choice of crop during rainy season.

And you can do cassava, cocoa, yam, corn, etc. You must know when there is rain so that you dont starve young seedlings water and nutrients.

The first step is not what can survive, but what you can sell easily. Moving from Bayelsa to Lagos may not be wise for an individual. If you are a group of farmers, fine..but just only you....it may be tough. When you know what you can sell, you can proceed. Cassava...you process to garri or dried starch. You can store yam if you.habe someone who is good with it.

Another issue is that you consider how big you land is. Also, consider availability of helping hands (farm workers). There are many issues involved.

So, what can you sell? Come up with a/some crop(s) and then, one can give you tips on how to navigate it/them.

First of all, I want to thank you for the information you have provided me with. To answer your questions:

1. I will not be moving the crops from Bayelsa to Lagos by myself. I will pay people to do that for me. Although we need to calculate if the extra transportation costs are worthwile considering more revenue is achievable in Lagos.
2. I have decided to start with an half an acre of farmland
3. I will have as much helping hands as possible, because budget here is not really an issue
4. I will come back to you with the type(s) of crops I want to be planting. We're currently discussing this

Lastly, how am I able to contact you?
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Roca0212: 5:56pm On Apr 08, 2021
jojomolono:

So the vegetables which you mentioned above (peppers, cassava, maize) would be able to withstand the heavy rain during rainy season? Because that is a crop which I'm looking for. I just need something strong enough to withstand the heavy rain.

Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Nezzjnr: 6:52pm On Apr 08, 2021
[quote author=Roca0212 post=100613073][/quote]
Is your Farm insured

Is my Investment insured??

No location of your Farm

Why is it a Yearly return
Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Attit: 7:14pm On Apr 08, 2021
jojomolono:

First of all, I want to thank you for the information you have provided me with. To answer your questions:

1. I will not be moving the crops from Bayelsa to Lagos by myself. I will pay people to do that for me. Although we need to calculate if the extra transportation costs are worthwile considering more revenue is achievable in Lagos.
2. I have decided to start with an half an acre of farmland
3. I will have as much helping hands as possible, because budget here is not really an issue
4. I will come back to you with the type(s) of crops I want to be planting. We're currently discussing this

Lastly, how am I able to contact you?
Whether you move it yourself or you outsource it, the cost is what we are talking about. It is unfriendly for half an acre. It is funny you even thought about it. Look for what you can sell in your area. If its cocoyam, focus on it. If you plan supplying Lagos, try to go on at least 5 ha to make it meaningful. In the north, a group of farmers can cultivate 100 ha.

1 Like

Re: Planting During Rainy Season by Roca0212: 9:41am On Apr 09, 2021
Nezzjnr:

Is your Farm insured

Is my Investment insured??

No location of your Farm

Why is it a Yearly return

Yes, our farm is insured by Lead Insurance Company.
Our farms location are at Obafemi Owode Local Goverment area,We also have yearly returns and monthly returns which is a duration of 6 months, Pending on the package you choose.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buy Your Original Dry Catfish From The River Here / Hotmas911 Job Offer Interview On Wednesday 25th, February 2015 / Shocking :-see What I Saw In Ambrose Alli University (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.