Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,688 members, 7,955,588 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:54 AM

Is Accra, Ghana Okay For Someone Not Looking For Job? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Accra, Ghana Okay For Someone Not Looking For Job? (3486 Views)

My Life As A 29-Year-Old Nigerian In Accra, Ghana / Is Accra, Ghana Deteriorating? / How Does Abuja, Nigeria Compare To Accra, Ghana? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Accra, Ghana Okay For Someone Not Looking For Job? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:04pm On Apr 14, 2021
igbosoupkitchen:

Visited Accra last year while processing some business registrations, i stayed for about 60days.
Coming from Nigeria, accra is expensive ,responding along the boldened above Accra is secure ,maybe little pick pockets at some locations and parks, but not entirely safe.
The education,if you want facts check the current world or african ranking of universities, some Nigerian universities are better than Ghanian and vice versa, UI,Covenant, knust, Uni Ghana, etc the rankings will tell the story and guide you.

Light is not 90% stable, neither is water, some people have bore holes and others generators, but generally ghanians are not as crazy about light as we are ,because they get it more constantly than us.. it could go out for 3hours more or less, after a supply of about 70%

Ghana is too hot, hotter than Nigeria, if u re going to stay permanently take note, u will need a/c and stay away from the sun

Most importantly please note that house rent in ghana is unecesserily expensive, the landlords take btw 700 -2000 ghc per month, 1 year minimum for unfurnished apartments. For furnished apartments you pay daily,or monthly ,and usually very expensive as high as 2000cedis per week i.e about 350USD for reasonably priced ones.

The roads are coal tarred on the major roads only, most other roads leading to houses are covered in red soil.
Central accra is more structured with more amenities and best roads but very expensive.

Other surroundings like east,north legon, achimota, tema are cheaper than accra but you will not get a good 2 bedroom apartment with 500k per annum

I would recommend you seek another country that can offer you low cost of living yet standard.
But there's no place like home, the Nigeria we have is much better than the Nigeria we are portraying on social media. The security situation is the major problem.

Asides that, corruption nepotism,favoritism, do exist in many African countries,.
Walai you described things succinctly. Op take note. Find a better place. That place is too expensive.
Re: Is Accra, Ghana Okay For Someone Not Looking For Job? by Gerrard59(m): 4:17pm On Apr 15, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Walai you described things succinctly. Op take note. Find a better place. That place is too expensive.

Maybe Ugom123 should try Namibia or Botswana. wink
Re: Is Accra, Ghana Okay For Someone Not Looking For Job? by Ruben225571(m): 8:43am On Apr 16, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Lies
Lies lies
Stop misleading people Abeg

1 Like

Re: Is Accra, Ghana Okay For Someone Not Looking For Job? by Ruben225571(m): 8:44am On Apr 16, 2021
Re: Is Accra, Ghana Okay For Someone Not Looking For Job? by Ruben225571(m): 8:47am On Apr 16, 2021
igbosoupkitchen:

Visited Accra last year while processing some business registrations, i stayed for about 60days.
Coming from Nigeria, accra is expensive ,responding along the boldened above Accra is secure ,maybe little pick pockets at some locations and parks, but not entirely safe.
The education,if you want facts check the current world or african ranking of universities, some Nigerian universities are better than Ghanian and vice versa, UI,Covenant, knust, Uni Ghana, etc the rankings will tell the story and guide you.

Light is not 90% stable, neither is water, some people have bore holes and others generators, but generally ghanians are not as crazy about light as we are ,because they get it more constantly than us.. it could go out for 3hours more or less, after a supply of about 70%

Ghana is too hot, hotter than Nigeria, if u re going to stay permanently take note, u will need a/c and stay away from the sun

Most importantly please note that house rent in ghana is unecesserily expensive, the landlords take btw 700 -2000 ghc per month, 1 year minimum for unfurnished apartments. For furnished apartments you pay daily,or monthly ,and usually very expensive as high as 2000cedis per week i.e about 350USD for reasonably priced ones.

The roads are coal tarred on the major roads only, most other roads leading to houses are covered in red soil.
Central accra is more structured with more amenities and best roads but very expensive.

Other surroundings like east,north legon, achimota, tema are cheaper than accra but you will not get a good 2 bedroom apartment with 500k per annum

I would recommend you seek another country that can offer you low cost of living yet standard.
But there's no place like home, the Nigeria we have is much better than the Nigeria we are portraying on social media. The security situation is the major problem.

Asides that, corruption nepotism,favoritism, do exist in many African countries,.

Disagree with you on many topics here

2 Likes

Re: Is Accra, Ghana Okay For Someone Not Looking For Job? by mdntiri(m): 6:53pm On Apr 16, 2021
[quote author=Gerrard59 post=100821513]

Maybe Ugom123 should try Namibia or Botswana. wink

Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa, Egypt, Rwanda are some of the "happening" places on the continent. There's a lot of news, growth, expansion, vibrancy, night life happening in these countries/Ghana that I'm sure the op would like to be part of.

Yes Ghana can be expensive especially our rents/real estate, but people find ways around this. The op could get cheaper accommodation in the outskirts of Accra.

There's a mini Dumsor happening right now where old transmission lines are being replaced etc, after which the electricity situation would be even more improved. There're foreigners, Diasporans etc coming into our space to LIVE life. People have MOVED from the West to be here. Yes lots of things are not great here, but the govt at least listens and is making efforts to improve stuff. Op you're welcome

1 Like

Re: Is Accra, Ghana Okay For Someone Not Looking For Job? by Cybercop2002: 11:04am On Apr 17, 2021
Are there job in Ghana
Re: Is Accra, Ghana Okay For Someone Not Looking For Job? by mdntiri(m): 4:38pm On Apr 17, 2021
[quote author=Cybercop2002 post=100870093]Are there job in Ghana

Jobs are hard to come by. The govt is the biggest employer. Our civil service is one of the largest on the continent, teachers being the most employed. There's a market for artisanal, entrepreneurial people. Our universities churn out lots of graduates onto the job market every year. Not many get jobs. Opportunities abound though.

But the op didn't ask for job opportunities so HE's most welcome
Re: Is Accra, Ghana Okay For Someone Not Looking For Job? by iPhenas(f): 10:43pm On Apr 17, 2021
Jobs are hard to come by in Ghana even for Ghanaians. Also, you can only live comfortable in Ghana if you've got money because the cost of living here is higher than that of Nigeria.

Cybercop2002:
Are there job in Ghana
Re: Is Accra, Ghana Okay For Someone Not Looking For Job? by mdntiri(m): 12:57pm On May 18, 2021
Op check out this YouTube channel ODANA NETWORK for lots of first-hand information on working/living in Ghana

ugom123:
With the rising Insecurity in Nigeria, is it okay to move to Accra, Ghana for a person not looking for job. Here in Nigeria, I earn between 350k to 450k monthly. And I will be completing my front-end development training soon. I work fully online as an animator. I am considering leaving before the end of the year.

I sincerely want to remain in Africa to build my tech business. I know that the earning is not much for now but will be increasing my income by the time I complete my current training. Is Accra okay: Security wise, education, civilization and health?
The gun shots I heard last night at my place scared me to my bones. Nigeria is truly in a complete mess.

It is a pity that our leaders have destroyed this country with looting, nepotism, wickedness and foolishness. I don't see this country rising again. I don't even want to talk about the rate at which people are kidnapped and raped on high ways and villages.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Establish Contact With Other Young Nigerians In Dubai / My Dubai Story With Pictures / Barber Shop In Copenhagen, Denmark?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.