Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,403 members, 7,836,616 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

The New Hippocratic Oath. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The New Hippocratic Oath. (290 Views)

15 Things You Don’t Know About The Hippocratic Oath / Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor / Photos Of The 42nd Induction/oath Taking Ceremony Of University Of Port Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The New Hippocratic Oath. by docayo: 7:44am On Apr 08, 2021
Oftentimes when doctors go on strike because they are being owed months of salaries or to address other welfare issues having exhausted every other avenue for peaceful resolution, they are usually blackmailed using the hippocratic Oath which states that the well-being of the patient shall be my first consideration. Nobody wants to care if the doctor is not able to feed his family, if his or her kids are out of school because of unpaid school fees etc.
The World Medical Association in October 2017 adopted a new hippocratic oath allowing the doctor to take care of himself first to be able to take care of his or her patients.

This is replicated here.

AS A MEMBER OF THE MEDICAL PROFESSION:

I SOLEMNLY PLEDGE to dedicate my life to the service of humanity;

THE HEALTH AND WELL-BEING OF MY PATIENT will be my first consideration;

I WILL RESPECT the autonomy and dignity of my patient;

I WILL MAINTAIN the utmost respect for human life;

I WILL NOT PERMIT considerations of age, disease or disability, creed, ethnic origin, gender, nationality, political affiliation, race, sexual orientation, social standing, or any other factor to intervene between my duty and my patient;

I WILL RESPECT the secrets that are confided in me, even after the patient has died;

I WILL PRACTISE my profession with conscience and dignity and in accordance with good medical practice;

I WILL FOSTER the honour and noble traditions of the medical profession;

I WILL GIVE to my teachers, colleagues, and students the respect and gratitude that is their due;

I WILL SHARE my medical knowledge for the benefit of the patient and the advancement of healthcare;

I WILL ATTEND TO my own health, well-being, and abilities in order to provide care of the highest standard;

I WILL NOT USE my medical knowledge to violate human rights and civil liberties, even under threat;

I MAKE THESE PROMISES solemnly, freely, and upon my honour.

(1) (Reply)

What Will Happen If You Plank Every Day For 1 Minute / How Lady Get Big Butt And Hip Without Surgery / Help! My Eyes Are Hurting..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.