Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,722 members, 7,820,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:11 PM

Gain Influence Through Your Speech: Learn To Speak Like Oyibo. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Gain Influence Through Your Speech: Learn To Speak Like Oyibo. (221 Views)

OYIBO TOO MUCH: Now You Can Watch Your Heart Beat Live (photos) / 40 Idioms To Learn In 2020 If You Want To Speak Like A Nerd / Speak Like A Champion World Class Public Speaking Certification Course (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gain Influence Through Your Speech: Learn To Speak Like Oyibo. by Luvskid(m): 7:58am On Apr 08, 2021
Have you ever wanted to speak clearly and have a British or American accent, if yes then you need to understand that it will take you time to learn.
I will share alot of tips that can help you on this thread that I am starting, I will also attempt to get you to watch how I do this practically on my YouTube channel.
Now let's get started.
If you want to improve your speech or speak like a native one of the things you can do immediately is to
1. Start listening to foreign speakers in the accent you want to have. What I mean here is that if you want to gain a British accent you need to Listen to a British speaker and continue listening to British speakers for at least two month. When you want to speak you try to imitate them.

2. Expand your Knowlege of sound and it's production.
You can decide to expand your knowledge of English sounds and how to pronounce certain letter combination.
Understanding these can be very difficult but I have put a training together on YouTube that you can watch free of charge, I am taking it but by bit so you can digest it. You can check it out.

3.Expand your vocabulary.
A great bank of vocabulary will really help you to be fluent when you are speaking. So take some time to learn vocabularies. On my Whatsapp status I share a word of the day everyday from 8- 10 am so you can save my number which will be in the signature section so you can join us to expand your vocabulary.

4.Understand what stress patterns rhythm and Intonation is all about.
I will be talking about all these in these thread, so please if you are really interested to learn English and speak like a native bookmark this. See you in the next thread.
Re: Gain Influence Through Your Speech: Learn To Speak Like Oyibo. by magnificient7: 8:05am On Apr 08, 2021
Why would I want to sound like oyibo? No matter how good my English is, and how much British I sound, I can never be English. They will always require you write IELTS, or toelf or any other English test because English is not our mother tongue.

We listened to actors in black panther and loved it. It's time for us to be proud of our accent.
Re: Gain Influence Through Your Speech: Learn To Speak Like Oyibo. by Luvskid(m): 8:18am On Apr 08, 2021
It's not a matter of being proud of our accent or not it's a matter of speaking clearly so you can be understood by people.
You would agree with me that there are places you would want to work, if you don't speak clear and expressive English no one may even look at you.
For example there are some part of Nigeria that pronounce the letter R as L
There are other part of Nigeria that pronounce N as L and vice versa. There are also those who have a very thick accent that has prevented them from even learning other language. Don't you think it would be nice if they learn to overcome the mothertongue interference?
We are simply here to help sir. It's not a matter of being proud of our mothertongue or not.
Even talking about the IELT and TOFEL you would agree with me that you must pass those test before you are given access to those countries, so please let's try and improve ourselves.
Re: Gain Influence Through Your Speech: Learn To Speak Like Oyibo. by mrpoul(m): 9:34am On Apr 09, 2021
I'm currently a tech presenter, and I'm mandated to learn British accent, since it is the standard broadcasting language
Re: Gain Influence Through Your Speech: Learn To Speak Like Oyibo. by Luvskid(m): 10:20pm On Apr 16, 2021
mrpoul:
I'm currently a tech presenter, and I'm mandated to learn British accent, since it is the standard broadcasting language
This is exactly what I was saying sometimes it's not because we are Nigerians or Africans it's just because that is the way it is. English Language is not our language and so we need to learn how to speak it well. It can make or Mar you when it comes to certain areas of Life and endeavour.

(1) (Reply)

Comr. Levi Zachariah George NURSS NAT'L President Felicitates With Hon. Oraye / LAUTECH Reopens Post-utme/de Registration Portal For Upload Of Results 2020/2021 / Free Tuition Universities In The World You Can Study In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.