Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,677 members, 7,823,912 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

The Dr Kenneth Clark Doll Experiment. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Dr Kenneth Clark Doll Experiment. (372 Views)

Kenneth Ibe: Kidnapped IMSU Law Student Murdered (Photos) / Zuriel Oduwole Speaks At The Ron Clark Academy In Atlanta / How Med. Lab. Scientist Replied The DR's Question About The Use Of Stethoscope (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Dr Kenneth Clark Doll Experiment. by HealerH: 11:40pm On Apr 09, 2021
This experiments were done in the United States many years ago. But I bet you to repeat it on your young ones and see if the results have changed. Yet we're not suffering racism in the sub-Saharan Africa.

The 1947 photograph bellow (by Gordon Parks, for Ebony Magazine) may look simply like a child being observed at play, but, in fact, it reveals an experiment that helped lead to the Supreme Court’s (of USA) monumental decision in
Brown v. Board of Education, demanding the racial integration of American public schools. The social psychologists Kenneth and Mamie Phipps Clark sought to challenge the court’s existing opinion that “separate but equal” public schools were constitutional (Plessy v. Ferguson, 1896) by testing whether African-American children were psychologically and emotionally damaged by attending segregated schools. Dr. Kenneth Clark showed children between the ages of six and nine two dolls that were exactly the same – except one was black and one was white. He would then ask the children a series of questions about the dolls, questions like…” Show me the doll that you like to play with… show me the doll that’s a nice doll… show me the doll that’s a bad doll.”
While the majority of all children ended up choosing the white doll as the good doll and the black doll as the bad doll, the black children who attended segregated schools had an even higher instance of choosing the black doll as bad and preferring the white doll to play with – over 70%. By Dr. Clark’s account, when those boys and girls were then told, “Now show me the doll that’s most like you,” some became “emotionally upset at having to identify with the doll that they had rejected.” Some even stormed out of the room. As Dr. Clark recalled, he and his wife concluded that “color in a racist society was a very disturbing and traumatic component of an individual’s sense of his own self-esteem and worth.” As late as the early 1950s, social science findings did not often cross the radar screen of the nation’s highest court. But during preparations for the cases that made up Brown, the N.A.A.C.P. chief counsel (later Supreme Court Justice) Thurgood Marshall dismissed warnings by other civil rights lawyers that the justices would be offended if they were subjected to tales about dolls and wailing children.
In May 1954, he was proved right. When Brown was decided, the court cited the doll study as a factor in its deliberations. That night, at an exuberant dinner, Mr. Marshall raised a glass to Kenneth Clark and demanded of those once skeptical colleagues, “Now, apologize!”

Copied from www.thompsonschools.org

Here are YouTube links to watch the experiments. You'll be speechless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZryE2bqwdk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkpUyB2xgTM

Re: The Dr Kenneth Clark Doll Experiment. by dawnomike(m): 11:43pm On Apr 09, 2021
The effect of a conditioned mindset...

(1) (Reply)

Can I Pay My Fees In Installments At London Academy Business School? / How To Get Admission With Low Jamb Score Of (120,130,140,150,160,179) In Nigeria / A Rivers State Undergraduate Makes History In An International Essay Competition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.