Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

Cultures/traditions You May Never Know They Exist - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Cultures/traditions You May Never Know They Exist (299 Views)

The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State / 7 Interesting Wedding Traditions That Are Peculiar To Different Countries / 7 Weird African Customs And Traditions You Didn’t Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Cultures/traditions You May Never Know They Exist by Cnach: 11:55pm On Apr 09, 2021
Some times ago I felt everything I knew was common every where but receny I came to realise that many sense we take common are not really common. And so I brought you some cultures and tradition practiced in some different part of the country that you may not know they really exist.
Culture is people way of life. It is a legally or generally accepted ways of doing things. Whatsoever a small group of people agreed on becomes their own culture.
First on the list it

1. Indirect woman to woman marriage..
I have witnessed this at southern part of Nigeria, ohaozarah Local Government of Ebonyi State precisely ànd from Nollywood movie titled Queen Elizabeth I came to realise that it is a normal practice in South East and other parts of Nigeria.
It is indirect marriage because it was never like what we call lesbianism today. From the elders, they said it was designed to curb the evil practise of people who go ahead to cease every property left to a widow by the husband either because she had no son or no child at all. And before this culture was erected, people go extra mile to eliminate a married brother before he start making babies but this culture came and drastically reduced such wickedness while preserving some rights, command and authority to a widow.
It goes like this, A married woman (you must be married before you do this) who has no son before the husband died or one who is married to a polygamous man and either had no son or child but wish that her own stool be continued get permission (to marry another woman) from the extend family if the husband is late and if the husband is still alive she then start the permission from the husband before extending it. When approved, she marrys the lady who may already has child(ren) but may be the father of the kid(s) could no longer be traced, automatically the children becomes hers(first woman) and bears the first woman's husband names as surname. And if she (newly married one) has no kid then she would be given to a man who is not related to the extended family of her new home to make her conceive.
Mind you the husband of the first woman dare not touch the new lady sexually, it is abomination. The relatives dare not have any sexual relationship with her because it is abominable. And the new married lady or woman is never permitted to be jumping from one man to another but to stick to a particular man known and approved by the family members to help her make babies. She is to address the first woman as her husband and give her husband respect while the woman Carter for her and her kids. It is a culture and still in practice till today.

2. Payment for breaking a girl's virginity. This is widely practiced in some parts of UROBO, Oghara of Ethiope West in Delta State precisely. It sounds crazy but it has its backing. The fore men discovered the rate at which people were having premarital sex in this area and in order to reduce the menace coming from such act they established this culture to help them preserve their ladies for a man who may marry her and so they stipulated a higher monetary price to be paid after doing away with the virginity of any lady. It maybe going well before but currently this has set the mind of any little girl from this area on money. It was so bad that even some ladies request for money before giving out their contact.
It goes like this, if a girl got disvirgined, either she make it known to the mother or the mother discovers on her own accord and she move direct to the house of the man/guy to get the virginity payment. And if the guy resist, then the case would be reported to the community leaders who would flog him and enforce the payment.
The money is used to buy the girl somethings. However, you can give a date of payment if you are not financially buoyant that moment. The amount ranges from 15k to how much love or financially bouyancy of the guy. But in case of rape, you are paying what the family demand or face the community wrath. Believe me Oghara Task Force is not ordinary any how you want it you get it. It is also a disgrace to a girl that her virginity money was not paid and one who got a higher pay makes boast out of it.

3. Twins seniority
I was thinking that just like Southern Nigeria every other zone give seniority to one of the twins who was delivered first. But some parts of Benue State, Idoma, Apa LGA precisely proved me a learner. This good people give seniority to the twins who came second. They believed that they started exercising seniority from the womb and that's while the second one has to command the first to go out f
and know the situation of things. And since it only elder ones that commands and send the younger ones on an errand then the second to be delivered becomes the senior. Know that in Southern part of Nigeria the first to come is always the senior, and seeing it done the other way may be a surprise to some of us.
These are three cultures I found and believed they are not generally practiced everywhere in the country. And you should also know that every culture even the craziest one has reason why it was established though it may also has its short comings. Nigeria is a great nation.
I am
O. NDUSINACHI

1 Like

Re: Cultures/traditions You May Never Know They Exist by JaneYave(f): 4:47am On Apr 10, 2021
Widow inheritance is one suprising culture I am yet to fathom. Especially a son inheriting the young wife of a late father.
Re: Cultures/traditions You May Never Know They Exist by illicit(m): 6:54am On Apr 10, 2021
In Yoruba land, the eldest twin is the last to emerge

Kehinde

(1) (Reply)

Oro Unity Forum Inaugurates Elders' Council / Little Boys Are Always Looking For Female Virgins To Marry / Essential Hair And Makeup Tips For A Lucrative Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.