Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,529 members, 7,816,291 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria (13574 Views)

Can Someone Help With This Python Problems / Tips On Solving Programming Problems / Please Help Me Solve This MATLAB Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by ThiagoKid(m): 11:10pm On Apr 12, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
You forgot horrible internet speed. I lost a job of 1.6 million naira a month because of the rubbish Internet speed in Nigeria it pains me everyday because even though I earn well relatively I don't still make up to half of that. So painful. angry
sir tensazangetsu sad
Good evening,
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:22pm On Apr 12, 2021
dam4sam:
My 11yr old Son loves coding-die.
He has mastered Phyton, moved on to Java Scripts, C# and Programming in 3D , all self taught.
Now he is pressurising me to buy him a 3D Printer and a high Spec Laptop that costs almost $7,000.
Boy does not know that Kontiri is still hard and Pandemic is not yet gone. grin
Na posting l just dey post the guy since January but God-willing, if l can, l will surprise him on his 12th Birthday with both.

The crazy dude is always talking about how he will be richer than Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos (My fear is that he does not become one of those crazy nerds or have brain problem, he talks too much about things l have not even heard of! injecting people with nanobots to unleash their memory power, something like' Metheskellar' Machine shocked How he wants to harness electric field power around Mars and he would inject me with some thing and l would live for a thousand years! I told him l dont want to live more than hundred, he can keep his invention grin bla bla bla ).

Sometimes, l fear he is going bunkers (How can an 11yr old be sleeping by 2am and sometimes by 6am he is awake because he has to dress for school (JSS1), but Thank God, l have other children who are more "normal" Children.
I do block his internet and seize his electronics (phone and Laptops) at times, to force him to rest, before he falls sick and die on me. grin

Do any adult and experienced Developer and programmer here go through this kind of phase or should l be very worried about his mental state?
He hates playing with his age mates but would rather want to involve in adult discussions or hang-out with them and most time, na to lecture them or some scientific, futuristic thing on is mind. shocked
You might just have a prodigy on your hands. Watch Inside Bill’s Brain on netflix if it’s still there, how you describe your son is exactly how Bill Gates’ sisters describe him when he was young. I can see how your son see’s school as a distraction. What he also needs now is the right environment to nurture his creativity and for someone to show him the links between math/science and programming early. How mastering the fundamentals of math and science will make him a more well rounded problem solver. What I dislike about the public school system is how when someone discovers what they are good at early in life, you still want to overload them with fluff subjects that do not resonate with their overall interests. If we are in a market economy in which mastering your skill is at a premium then people should be allowed to specialize very early if they want to. A core curriculum of Math, Logic and Computers from ages 8 should not be that far fetched for example. You have a flair for writing? Okay Literature, Logic and Creative Writing. If you’re interests change as you grow older or you want to take on more subjects you should be allowed to. But the default shouldn’t be to insist people take 10 subjects when the market economy is skewed towards people who are very good at one or two things.

3 Likes

Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Karleb(m): 12:07am On Apr 13, 2021
Silverpurple:

Thank you for indulging me. A funny person somewhere above. Got really pissed, he was practically asking for my CV for posting a coding challenge...lol

This is interesting.

I ran the code and made some observations.

The direct answer to your question would be because the closure that is returned has a loop that run from 0 to 5 non inclusive. If any number not within this range (0 - 4) is passed into the array returned, it throws an error.

But then, what is actually pushed in the array are 5 functions/closures housing the incremented inter variable.

If you remove the closure in the arr.push, you'd get a different result. I.e. 1 to 5 or error depending on the what value is inputted in the array on closureChecker.

I don't know why tho. I guess it has to do with how JS treats closures. Maybe it just pops off the last item when dealing with closures.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by dam4sam: 12:42am On Apr 13, 2021
helovesnyash:

You might just have a prodigy on your hands. Watch Inside Bill’s Brain on netflix if it’s still there, how you describe your son is exactly how Bill Gates’ sisters describe him when he was young. I can see how your son see’s school as a distraction. What he also needs now is the right environment to nurture his creativity and for someone to show him the links between math/science and programming early. How mastering the fundamentals of math and science will make him a more well rounded problem solver. What I dislike about the public school system is how when someone discovers what they are good at early in life, you still want to overload them with fluff subjects that do not resonate with their overall interests. If we are in a market economy in which mastering your skill is at a premium then people should be allowed to specialize very early if they want to. A core curriculum of Math, Logic and Computers from ages 8 should not be that far fetched for example. You have a flair for writing? Okay Literature, Logic and Creative Writing. If you’re interests change as you grow older or you want to take on more subjects you should be allowed to. But the default shouldn’t be to insist people take 10 subjects when the market economy is skewed towards people who are very good at one or two things.

Hahhaha, Bill wetin? grin grin Thank you for your kind words but you have exagerated his potentials, he is just small, 11yr old who started JSS1 about two Months ago. grin He will get over it and be a good Doctor or Engineer in future.
You are right in some things though, he finds school very, very boring but l told him he shouldn't be bored because that is the basis of whatever anyone wants to do later in Life. Get your degree first and then you can branch anywhere you want.

I dont think Bill Gates is normal (I think he has a 'mental' problem but just because he is rich, people tend to overlook that angle). Elon Musk is another Rich but eccentric being, the type that can put the whole world at risk/danger.
But my Son is just a small boy who is still trying to discover and explore the world though if l allow him, he would prefer to stay and study at home and still pass more than a lot of people in his class but l wont encourage such behavior.
He can do his Programming Stuff in his free time but School work comes first. That is how we were trained and we are doing well in life. He is certainly no genius or prodigy, just some smart alec with computers and too much bandwidth.
He came back from School the second week or so and said: Can you imagine what our Teacher taught us in IntroTech Class today? I said what? He quickly brought out his Notebook and showed me the Topic: Technology Tools: How to use a T-Square. he drew a nice picture of a Tsquare with some explanations he copied from the Notes on the Board.
I asked him if anything was wrong is that? He burst into one arrogant laughter (that annoyed me) and said you are actually not different from my Teacher, both of you are living in the past. Aaah, me? Living in the past? What do you mean? What were you expecting him to teach you in the second lecture-day of the Subject?
He asked me how l think T-Square solves any of the problem of technology that we have in Nigeria or the world? I was thinking about it but l then asked him what he would be teaching, if he were the teacher?
He said he would, for example, be teaching the students how they can develop flexible Solar Panels that can be used on a variety of surfaces, apart from the rigid ones we put on Roofs of Houses. He then went on about how he can teach them how to mix some Chemicals which have great affinity for absorbing the Energy from the Sun and can even boost it by a few factors, mix it with ordinary Paint and use it to paint the roof of Buildings so that every roof becomes a Solar panel, without the huge cost, and heavy weight of Panels we currently put on roof tops.
I was still thinking about that when he even added that do l know that if we can find a way to make Solar Panels very thin and water proof, we can actually take advantage of the over 70% surface of the Water around the earth to lay Solar panels on Seas and Oceans and just cable the power to Solar Stations, for distribution, without even using our roofs or wasting land for Solar array stations?.
He said do l know that Nigeria can be exporting such Panels and make money from it (here we go again, Money! Money!! Money!!) and we wont have need for Generators? shocked shocked
Okay, that shocked me because l have never thought along that line and l wont expect someone who is just a few weeks into JSS1 to even pay attention to such, even if it is that he saw it or read it somewhere.
He just shook his head at me and went away from my presence. I wanted to tell him that teaching is based on School Curriculum and not on what one Boy in the Class thinks . Well, l just faced my own business and promised myself that l will have a word with the Teacher to see if he can teach them things that have more to do with the real world, when next l go for 'Open Day' but l am very careful not to make a Teacher feel a parent wants to tell them what to do..
But l still worry for his health and future, l dont want him to be consumed by work or Science or love of Money.
As a parent, l think l owe it a duty to guide his early growth, moral values and respect for the 'order of things', something scientist always try to recreate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by TMKsouth: 2:47am On Apr 13, 2021
ChiefSosa:
Developer's problems:
1) Which drug to smuggle
2) How much drug to smuggle
3) Whether to swallow the drugs or put it in the luggage
4) Which airport to use
5) Whether to develop India, Indonesia, South Africa or Malaysia
6) Whether to start business or paint the town red during Christmas

Na joke o abeg...

LOL grin grin grin
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Najdorf: 8:06am On Apr 13, 2021
dam4sam:

Hahhaha, Bill wetin? grin grin Thank you for your kind words but you have exagerated his potentials, he is just small, 11yr old who started JSS1 about two Months ago. grin He will get over it and be a good Doctor or Engineer in future.
You are right in some things though, he finds school very, very boring but l told him he shouldn't be bored because that is the basis of whatever anyone wants to do later in Life. Get your degree first and then you can branch anywhere you want.

I dont think Bill Gates is normal (I think he has a 'mental' problem but just because he is rich, people tend to overlook that angle). Elon Musk is another Rich but eccentric being, the type that can put the whole world at risk/danger.
But my Son is just a small boy who is still trying to discover and explore the world though if l allow him, he would prefer to stay and study at home and still pass more than a lot of people in his class but l wont encourage such behavior.
He can do his Programming Stuff in his free time but School work comes first. That is how we were trained and we are doing well in life. He is certainly no genius or prodigy, just some smart alec with computers and too much bandwidth.
He came back from School the second week or so and said: Can you imagine what our Teacher taught us in IntroTech Class today? I said what? He quickly brought out his Notebook and showed me the Topic: Technology Tools: How to use a T-Square. he drew a nice picture of a Tsquare with some explanations he copied from the Notes on the Board.
I asked him if anything was wrong is that? He burst into one arrogant laughter (that annoyed me) and said you are actually not different from my Teacher, both of you are living in the past. Aaah, me? Living in the past? What do you mean? What were you expecting him to teach you in the second lecture-day of the Subject?
He asked me how l think T-Square solves any of the problem of technology that we have in Nigeria or the world? I was thinking about it but l then asked him what he would be teaching, if he were the teacher?
He said he would, for example, be teaching the students how they can develop flexible Solar Panels that can be used on a variety of surfaces, apart from the rigid ones we put on Roofs of Houses. He then went on about how he can teach them how to mix some Chemicals which have great affinity for absorbing the Energy from the Sun and can even boost it by a few factors, mix it with ordinary Paint and use it to paint the roof of Buildings so that every roof becomes a Solar panel, without the huge cost, and heavy weight of Panels we currently put on roof tops.
I was still thinking about that when he even added that do l know that if we can find a way to make Solar Panels very thin and water proof, we can actually take advantage of the over 70% surface of the Water around the earth to lay Solar panels on Seas and Oceans and just cable the power to Solar Stations, for distribution, without even using our roofs or wasting land for Solar array stations?.
He said do l know that Nigeria can be exporting such Panels and make money from it (here we go again, Money! Money!! Money!!) and we wont have need for Generators? shocked shocked
Okay, that shocked me because l have never thought along that line and l wont expect someone who is just a few weeks into JSS1 to even pay attention to such, even if it is that he saw it or read it somewhere.
He just shook his head at me and went away from my presence. I wanted to tell him that teaching is based on School Curriculum and not on what one Boy in the Class thinks . Well, l just faced my own business and promised myself that l will have a word with the Teacher to see if he can teach them things that have more to do with the real world, when next l go for 'Open Day' but l am very careful not to make a Teacher feel a parent wants to tell them what to do..
But l still worry for his health and future, l dont want him to be consumed by work or Science or love of Money.
As a parent, l think l owe it a duty to guide his early growth, moral values and respect for the 'order of things', something scientist always try to recreate.
Please let your son dream big. He may have a greater potential than you think. This world is tough and full of challenges and if you let it, it'll kill all your dreams and force you into mediocrity. A lot of the successful people today are people who decided to fight for their dreams against all odds.

I can understand wanting him to live and average straightforward stress-free life but he might want something more than that. As long as he is not slacking off in school and other important things please just try and support this his childish dreams.

Just my opinion though, in the end you're still his dad.

1 Like

Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:27am On Apr 13, 2021
Jonathan39:
If you are as good as you claim, then acquiring a new laptop won't be a problem to you.
what a stupid mention, please find a C programming job for me or a c# programming job that doesn't have to do with dotnet core. Rubbish.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Cashalhaji: 8:45am On Apr 13, 2021
Good thread
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:52am On Apr 13, 2021
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by bedfordng(m): 9:59am On Apr 13, 2021
Albertone:
You forgot access to laptop/computer.

I stopped coding because I couldn't have access to a laptop anymore.And I have passed the stage of using phone to code.
The zeal is still in me sha...
this shouldn't be an excuse as there are laptops you can get for less. some people can buy a phone of 70k and they would tell you they can't afford a laptop even when that 70k can get them one if they go for fairly use.

you have to start small. the irony here is that some of us buys high end phone that could have been used to buy laptop without even taking note of that

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Jonathan39: 11:19am On Apr 13, 2021
You are not what you claim to be, no Matter how you try to paint yourself.
SegFault:

what a stupid mention, please find a C programming job for me or a c# programming job that doesn't have to do with dotnet core. Rubbish.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Albertone(m): 12:04pm On Apr 13, 2021
bedfordng:
this shouldn't be an excuse as there are laptops you can get for less. some people can buy a phone of 70k and they would tell you they can't afford a laptop even when that 70k can get them one if they go for fairly use.

you have to start small. the irony here is that some of us buys high end phone that could have been used to buy laptop without even taking note of that

Thanks.You are right to some extent.

But I want you to understand that there are people whose standard of living is way below yours.

Will I be able to save for a laptop if I am still looking for money to feed?
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Albertone(m): 12:12pm On Apr 13, 2021
dam4sam:

Hahhaha, Bill wetin? grin grin Thank you for your kind words but you have exagerated his potentials, he is just small, 11yr old who started JSS1 about two Months ago. ;

Just publish all you wrote here and sell.You will make a good author.

I started reading 12:44am and I just finished it now 12:12pm.Even bible no long reach this now.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:58pm On Apr 13, 2021
Jonathan39:
You are not what you claim to be, no Matter how you try to paint yourself.

A bloody troll I presume, I even said pro in c the same language that most of you look down on.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:00pm On Apr 13, 2021
bedfordng:

If you see the phone way I deh use now you go cancel this your comment.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:01pm On Apr 13, 2021
ChiefSosa:
Developer's problems:
1) Which drug to smuggle
2) How much drug to smuggle
3) Whether to swallow the drugs or put it in the luggage
4) Which airport to use
5) Whether to develop India, Indonesia, South Africa or Malaysia
6) Whether to start business or paint the town red during Christmas

Na joke o abeg...
must you people spread your bile all over this forum.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by rinzaugustine: 2:20pm On Apr 13, 2021
When you learn skills you reach out to look for jobs and not wait for one to be handed out to you
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Jonathan39: 2:58pm On Apr 13, 2021
You are Pro in C and you are not able to secure a job that will help you own a laptop? Make it make sense bro
SegFault:

A bloody troll I presume, I even said pro in c the same language that most of you look down on.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Aeg0n: 4:48pm On Apr 13, 2021
Karleb:

Bro I'm concerned that you declare a function name with let.

Anyway, post the code on carbon.now.sh and post either the link or the picture here, let's analyze.
grin
The intro haha
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by dam4sam: 6:19pm On Apr 13, 2021
Albertone:

Just publish all you wrote here and sell.You will make a good author.

I started reading 12:44am and I just finished it now 12:12pm.Even bible no long reach this now.

Aaah? shocked
Bia, Coordinate yourself, people are listening. undecided
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:42pm On Apr 13, 2021
Jonathan39:
You are Pro in C and you are not able to secure a job that will help you own a laptop? Make it make sense bro
gringringrin you are obviously a troll and an ignorant one at that, most of the freelance c jobs require engineering degrees or lots of experience in embedded systems.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Albertone(m): 9:35pm On Apr 13, 2021
dam4sam:

Aaah? shocked
Bia, Coordinate yourself, people are listening. undecided

no be only coordinate,na supervise grin
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Abrahamjnr: 8:17am On Apr 14, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

They are both useless. I have had all networks fail during an interview before. My wifi and both mobile networks you listed all went down the same time.
boss please reply my DM I have what I will like to discuss with you
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by goldtooth: 12:17pm On Apr 14, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
You forgot horrible internet speed. I lost a job of 1.6 million naira a month because of the rubbish Internet speed in Nigeria it pains me everyday because even though I earn well relatively I don't still make up to half of that. So painful. angry

Please give more details about the nature of the job and how internet speed made you loose it. Did you try 4G networks like swift and smile?
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by EbenG(m): 2:52pm On Apr 14, 2021
k
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by hakeemhakeem(m): 7:26pm On Apr 15, 2021
dam4sam:

this is what am trying to do with my 4years old son which am having challenge to start pls be guidance to the steps his has taken.can pls tell brief how the whole thing started
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:37pm On Apr 17, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Its no luck. I applied to over 500 jobs to get my first job. Most people dont even apply to jobs. Another thing is what a lot of people are learning is not profitable. There are some tech skills you can acquire today that can give you earnings of 7 naira figures in six to eight months but you hardly see Nigerians there. Most people here have a herd mentality.
For example?
Please just list three of them, I'll research about it. tensazangetsu20
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by MacMkboy(m): 8:58am On Apr 18, 2021
dam4sam:

I like your son. If you have the capacity, help him live out his dreams instead of trying to limit him. Be the dad he can always look up to for support (emotional especially cos he'd eventually get setbacks -- an ideal idea might not turn out to be ideal during execution and this could weigh him down for a while). That won't hinder you from training him to have high moral values. Your description of him reminds me of my younger self. However in my case, I was severely limited despite the brilliance I displayed(my parents weren't much educated and couldn't provide information to help my dreams and they were financially constrained). I lived in regrets for a long time until I decided to make do with my life in the best possible way I can in spite of my current limitations.

1 Like

Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Sheriman(m): 7:05pm On Oct 22, 2021
dam4sam:
He has mastered Phyton, moved on to Java Scripts, C# and Programming in 3D , all self taught.
Now he is pressurising me to buy him a 3D Printer and a high Spec Laptop that costs almost $7,000.
Na posting l just dey post the guy since January but God-willing, if l can, l will surprise him on his 12th Birthday with both.

The crazy dude is always talking about how he will be richer than Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos (My fear is that he does not become one of those crazy nerds or have brain problem, he talks too much about things l have not even heard of! injecting people with nanobots to unleash their memory power, something like' Metheskellar' Machine shocked How he wants to harness electric field power around Mars and he would inject me with some thing and l would live for a thousand years! I told him l dont want to live more than hundred, he can keep his invention grin bla bla bla ).

Sometimes, l fear he is going bunkers (How can an 11yr old be sleeping by 2am and sometimes by 6am he is awake because he has to dress for school (JSS1), but Thank God, l have other children who are more "normal" Children.
I do block his internet and seize his electronics (phone and Laptops) at times, to force him to rest, before he falls sick and die on me. grin

Do any adult and experienced Developer and programmer here go through this kind of phase or should l be very worried about his mental state?
He hates playing with his age mates but would rather want to involve in adult discussions or hang-out with them and most time, na to lecture them or some scientific, futuristic thing on is mind. shocked
I like your boy. You have a great child he has a superb dream and he is working towards it. One thing that I guess that could slow him down is the country we are in. Support his dream. I would love to meet your boy, I like to meet people like him.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by lahp(m): 2:01am On Oct 23, 2021
mine has always been pc though seems i got a thing for not having good ones
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Kennyking1234: 6:21am On Oct 23, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Its no luck. I applied to over 500 jobs to get my first job. Most people dont even apply to jobs. Another thing is what a lot of people are learning is not profitable. There are some tech skills you can acquire today that can give you earnings of 7 naira figures in six to eight months but you hardly see Nigerians there. Most people here have a herd mentality.
please mention
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Kennyking1234: 6:31am On Oct 23, 2021
dam4sam:

Something similar to me but I think he is much smarter, I am 19 now. Allow him express himself don't be a typical Nigerian parent. About the 3d printer, there should 3d printers that's within 50k -200k(naira). My Parents are killing my radicalism, My idealism is reduced. Always encouraged your son please. Have a long term plan to send him abroad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Junit: How To Set Classpath On Windows Xp / Why Are Developers Crazy About Startup Jobs? / How Many Lines Of Code Is Your Largest Work So Far?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.