Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,797 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

What's In A (website's) Name? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What's In A (website's) Name? (749 Views)

Comedy Website Name Suggestions / Every English Word Is Already Taken As A Domain/website Name / Website Name Needed Urgently (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's In A (website's) Name? by yawatide(f): 12:01pm On Apr 19, 2011
You tell me. I almost "LWKMD" when I saw this advertised on the online vanguard's website. At first I thought it was a joke:

http://www.imomanylies.com/

Somebody, please tell me this isn't an official government website. Even if lies are aplenty about the state, how about "thetruthaboutimostate.com"? Just a thought.

Oya, over to my compadres
Re: What's In A (website's) Name? by iwantto(m): 1:35pm On Apr 19, 2011
If the niche is for lies, then it will be wise to use lies as part of the domain. It is a good strategy for SEO.
Re: What's In A (website's) Name? by Afam4eva(m): 1:50pm On Apr 19, 2011
i_want_to:

If the niche is for lies, then it will be wise to use lies as part of the domain. It is a good strategy for SEO.

I think the main niche here is Imo and lies is the second. So Imo and Lies are well represented in the domain name. So when you type Lies from Imo, Imo lies or Imo liars, the website should come up in google.
Re: What's In A (website's) Name? by yawatide(f): 4:05pm On Apr 19, 2011
So, and no offense to anyone who has responded so far but, let's employ some common sense here:

How many people, including yourself, will type "lies from imo" or "imo lies", etc? I mean, what are the odds of typing those versus "imo state" plain and simple.

1) let the content do the work
2) always see positives in negatives. "thetruthaboutimo" would have been better, IMHO. When I saw the ad, all I could see is a big banner that read "Imo lies". I didn't know if it was referring to a person, or if the whole state of Imo was a liar or if it was a political ad.
Re: What's In A (website's) Name? by monasor28(m): 4:40pm On Apr 19, 2011
Common sense is not common!

For the seo thing, are people actually searching for imo lies, hell are they even searching for IMO State , or any thing remotely related to imo state
with exception to state and lies, the answer is no, therefore SEO has nothing to do with it in this case,

If you would put SEO in proper use, the web design guy should find why any one would be interested in imo lies, if there is then create a website based on that,

Google does not index websites it indexes pages so a website with a dom name imolies.com can have pages -- imolies.com/the governors ugly babe.html and so on and so forth , were a USER" search for governor imo state baba, the above page would come up in the google search.

In this case, true seo is not about what you want to talk about , it want the user wants to talk about or gossip bout, like econonmics where we have complimentary demand or derived demand - seo can be run in the same concept, it just requires a little reverse engineering,

Like if the imo lies website was created by political aspirant - then a proper seo strategy would be to build a sister site based on politics in the country, and then attempt to redirect the traffic from the sister site to the site with the dumb dom name,

I know am a little/very rude but forget about my character and apply common sense , do my words make sense , anyone ever saw FRINGE.
Re: What's In A (website's) Name? by yawatide(f): 5:13pm On Apr 19, 2011
Common sense is not common!

Thanks for bringing this up. I forgot to add it in my last post cool
Re: What's In A (website's) Name? by seyibrown(f): 1:56pm On May 01, 2011
What a name!!! grin
Re: What's In A (website's) Name? by gabuzee(m): 8:26am On May 11, 2011
To me I dont see any big deal in a domain name, I believe in CONTENT.
Re: What's In A (website's) Name? by theangel: 6:19pm On May 11, 2011
the END has come to his Imo many lies, i bet you that website was use to packed Imo state Government Money.

Thank God at last

Re: What's In A (website's) Name? by yawatide(f): 6:56pm On May 11, 2011
he he, i hear he is now jockeying for a ministerial position

(1) (Reply)

Life is good / Job Opportunity - Web Administrator / DO NOT ADVERTISE HERE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.