Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,097 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities (6849 Views)

FG Moves To End DSTV's Monopoly, Says Multichoice Is Cheating Nigerians / Oil Price Fall: FG Moves To Use Pension Fund On Infrastructure / Ekiti Election: 'FG Moves N18bn Cash Through Akure Airport' - Lere Olayinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by TheRareGem1(f): 8:21pm On Apr 10, 2021
The Federal Government said efforts have been made to deliver electricity to about 25m Nigerians whose communities are off the grid.

With the flag-off in Jigawa State, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo restated the government determination to ensure that millions of Nigerians have access to cheap and environmentally friendly renewable power.

Coming under the Economic Sustainability Plan, Prof Osinbajo said the launch of the Solar Power Naija programme was taking off with the Jangefe Community in Roni Local Government Area (in the Kazaure Emirate) of the State and will soon get to all geopolitical zones in the country.

After Jangefe, ” according to the Vice President, the rollout will continue “across the 6 geopolitical zones in Edo, Lagos, Adamawa, Anambra, Kebbi and Plateau. Other Solar companies are also in the pipeline for the Solar Power Naija facility to continue the march to 5 million connections during the life of this administration,” the Vice President said.

According to Osinbajo, the scheme will then go to the entire 36 States and the FCT covering 25million Nigerians in the end.

He said the commencement of the Solar Power Naija programme means the community will get 1,000 Solar Home Systems connections for its about 5,000 population.

Specifically, the Vice President, flagged off the commencement of the installation in Jigawa, in what is said to be part of a 100,000 scheme with A-SOLAR, a local solar power company implementing aspects of the ESP Solar Power Naija scheme.

The Jangefe community in Jigawa, which is the first location to be covered by the A-Solar company, will pay monthly energy payments until the systems are fully paid for at the point in which there will be a transfer of ownership to each consumer in the community.

The Vice President noted that the “President had emphasised that we could no longer rely solely on the grid if we were to electrify the whole country. Which meant that we had to develop an effective strategy for decentralizing the power supply. Two obvious things to do were, first to think of implementing more off-grid solutions and to use renewable energy especially solar power.”

Another challenge turned opportunity was Covid-19 and our response to the economic fallouts of the pandemic – the Economic Sustainability Plan. A fundamental rationale for the plan was to retain existing jobs and create new jobs. A mass solar programme seemed like a real chance to kill several birds with one stone; electrify the country and in the process, create thousands of jobs from solar assembly and manufacturing plants to installers, payment system operators, and maintenance of solar systems once installed.

“Mr. President, therefore, approved the inclusion of what came to be known as the Solar Power Naija programme in the Economic Sustainability Plan which he asked me to chair.

The Solar Power Naija programme which is designed by the Rural Electrification Agency is an ambitious initiative that aims to create 5 million connections through a 140 billion Naira financing programme that will support private developers to provide power for 5 million households, which means providing electricity for up to 25 million Nigerians.

Prof Osinbajo further stated that the solar power programme is a public-private sector partnership supported by concessionary lending via the Central Bank of Nigeria and commercial banks.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/04/fg-moves-to-electrify-off-grid-communities/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by TheRareGem1(f): 8:21pm On Apr 10, 2021
This initiative is superb, the move is to ensure some Nigerians especially those in the rural communities get their own energy. I hope the mass housing scheme of the NESP will be a lot Transparent, ensure the low income earners who are targeted get them.

4 Likes

Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by kindness9: 8:23pm On Apr 10, 2021
That's nice

2 Likes

Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by okefranci: 8:25pm On Apr 10, 2021
This is a nice move

3 Likes

Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by Joyce95: 8:27pm On Apr 10, 2021
Greater move indeed
Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by Jhayphil: 8:27pm On Apr 10, 2021
The Solar Power Naija is coming with lots of benefits asides electrifying homes not connected to the national. Its also going to provide 250,000 new jobs and its environmentally safe.

3 Likes

Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by Bola146(f): 8:28pm On Apr 10, 2021
grin grin Mouthed government grin

7 Likes

Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by Thunder1010: 8:29pm On Apr 10, 2021
This will address the issue of power challenges in the country.
Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by BruncleZuma: 4:53am On Apr 11, 2021
grin grin grin grin
Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by inoki247: 4:56am On Apr 11, 2021
wetin we know aw to apply....

Till I can apply na Stiill Audio for now.....

2 Likes

Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by Nobody: 4:56am On Apr 11, 2021
Nice
check my profile, i have a very affordable laptop for sale
Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:07am On Apr 11, 2021
This is not the CHANGE we voted for.

A better Nigeria is all we want.

No more business as usual.

Slow and steady we will get to a country of our dreams.

God bless Nigeria.

The Federal Government said efforts have been made to deliver electricity to about 25m Nigerians whose communities are off the grid.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by free2ryhme: 5:09am On Apr 11, 2021
TheRareGem1:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/04/fg-moves-to-electrify-off-grid-communities/

The ones on grid don't have sufficient power you have not sort that one out you want to create more problem and waste, including embezzlement of public funds by engaging in frivolous projects

2 Likes

Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by Yankee101: 5:11am On Apr 11, 2021
Solar is the fastest way to go
Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by sanerugwei: 5:31am On Apr 11, 2021
���� �������� ��� ���� ���� ���� ������� ���� ��� ���� �����, ��� ���� ����� ��� �����, �����������, ���

not again...
oops NL could not carry this my font...
Make I kuku change handwritimg niyen...

Now as I was saying...what was I saying again sef..

Yes yes..
I said give me some real details about the watts per home and long term maintenance strategy of the solar panels and batteries..

1 Like

Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by samnet123: 5:32am On Apr 11, 2021
This project will cost hundreds of billions while 70% will go to individual pockets.

1 Like

Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by helinues: 5:33am On Apr 11, 2021
Familiar news
Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by gambia(m): 5:50am On Apr 11, 2021
[s]
post=100685119:

God bless Nigeria.

[/s]
Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by Vulcanheph(m): 5:55am On Apr 11, 2021
As they are sending electricity to "off grid" places, they should also make sure the stabilize it to the "on grid" places.

1 Like

Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by Vulcanheph(m): 5:57am On Apr 11, 2021
post=100685119:

God bless Nigeria.

Felix ,You should be ashamed of yourself because I know that you know the truth about the situation in nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by BrandBrainBox: 6:06am On Apr 11, 2021
Vulcanheph:

Felix ,You should be ashamed of yourself because I know that you know the truth about the situation in nigeria.

Felix grin
Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by Grace001: 6:13am On Apr 11, 2021
Vulcanheph:

Huh shocked it seems you know him too well.

Please tell him
Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by Alejoas(m): 6:22am On Apr 11, 2021
Wow
Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by fasho01(m): 6:42am On Apr 11, 2021
Lamba.. Osinbajo seems to have found his lost voice lately
Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by RESTMOUTH99(m): 6:43am On Apr 11, 2021
Good initiative but only a fool will believe that it will be implemented up to 10% ....... ELECTRICITY in Nigeria is like REFINERY which evil groups and monopolists will never let it work
Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by zeusdgrt(m): 6:49am On Apr 11, 2021
Story,this yeye man is always good for talks and seminar"what we want to do",the govt is looking at",we are planning to",in the next few months we will","we did actually want to".Very yeye man

2 Likes

Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by erayo2GCA(m): 6:54am On Apr 11, 2021
Felix be careful

1 Like

Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by mu2sa2: 7:07am On Apr 11, 2021
"On grid" , "Off grid". Shey na political terms or technical jargon or social reality?
Re: FG Moves To Electrify Off-grid Communities by tonididdy(m): 7:18am On Apr 11, 2021
Another northern pie

(1) (2) (Reply)

Navy Promotes 135 Officers, Gets Five New Rear Admirals / Ondo NURTW Deputy-Chairman Beaten-up By Hoodlums / Tunde Bakare Is Also A Northerner. Buhari Has Messed Up.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.