Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,111 members, 7,828,943 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

Family Facing ‘unprecedented Threat’ In Nigeria, Says Public Health Expert - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Family Facing ‘unprecedented Threat’ In Nigeria, Says Public Health Expert (209 Views)

Upgrading Your Woman, A Threat Or A Fortune? / My Brother's Relationship Is Under A Serious Threat / Fake Marriages Taking Place In Nigeria, Says Immigration Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Family Facing ‘unprecedented Threat’ In Nigeria, Says Public Health Expert by Valentina1987: 3:30am On Apr 11, 2021
A public health expert has said that the family, as a unit of the society, is facing an “unprecedented threat” in Nigeria.
Jessica Charles, a public health practitioner, in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, said the extended family system, for instance, was “gradually going into extinction in some parts of Nigeria”.
Ms Charles is the Executive Director, Save the Family Foundation, a non-profit organisation that focuses on public health, gender-based violence, and family issues.
“In the good old days, uncles, aunts, cousins, nephews, and other relatives were some sort of available and willing help for individuals who were struggling to survive, people who desperately needed shelter, medical assistance, school fees or financial assistance to start a small business.
“They were the shoulder for young people to lean on in troubling times. They served as mentor and positive influencers,” Ms Charles said in a statement sent to PREMIUM TIMES, Thursday.
“There are many Nigerians today with great and inspiring stories of how they were able to scale through life hurdles to become successful in different fields of endeavour because of the help they received from extended family members.”
She said the situation has so deteriorated and that it was even more worrisome that people and institutions appeared not bothered about it.
“The extended family has either been extinct in some communities in Nigeria or it is at the verge of collapsing.
“Young people no longer see nor connect, let alone bond with their uncles, aunts, cousins or nephews. Even the nuclear family that consist of father, mother, and children is also facing some serious socio-economic threats in our country.”
Re: Family Facing ‘unprecedented Threat’ In Nigeria, Says Public Health Expert by johnkey: 7:29pm On Apr 11, 2021
true talk. the only family members I've really talked to in last 5 years are my nuclear family and one aunt that stays in our area. they dey always find me but I no dey dey available

(1) (Reply)

The Dynamics Of Communication In Marriage. / Affordable High Quality Turkey/uk Clothing For Children. / Care For Your Parents When They Are Alive, That It May Be Well With You.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.