Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps (4183 Views)

Try This Yam Porridge Recipe And Thank Me Later / Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. / Russians Eating Egusi Soup And Eba For The First Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by InvestingExpert(m): 9:40am On Apr 11, 2021
Nigeria is the most populated black nation on earth and is renowned for its rich diversity in culture, tribes, customs, beliefs, and food.

They are known to be vivacious and welcoming. It is simply a home filled with beautiful and exotic cultures.

As it is widely known, Nigeria likes to outdo itself in everything, food not been an exception.

We just like to enjoy the best of life. We go all out with our dishes. Typical Nigerian food is rich, spicy, tasty, and appetizing as well as nutritional.

We make a great deal of ensuring our food is filled with a whole lot of nutritional benefits to enable us to live a healthy and strong life.

Our foods are rich in vitamins, proteins, and other vital nutritional components we need to stay healthy.

So, if you are thinking of visiting or staying in Nigeria, one thing you must do is explore the richness of this nation including our delicacies.

Our meals form a vital part of our rich heritage. Each tribe has a rich array of cuisines mostly sourced from natural plants, fruits, and vegetables.

They are a mixture of spicy, juicy flavours that leave your palates wanting more.

Our meals are simply a part of our story, just like the meals of every culture around the globe.

Egusi Soup

In this piece, we will be guiding you through the steps of how to prepare egusi soup, one of Nigeria’s popular soups.

Egusi is a staple, and is usually accompanied with pounded yam, fufu, and eba.

It is prepared in variations by the various ethnic groups in the country. It is made out of freshly-grounded melon seed with other richly assorted ingredients.

Here’s how to prepare egusi soup:
Egusi Soup recipes:

3 Cups of grounded egusi (this depends on the number of people)

½ cup of palm oil

Onions and pepper

Salt

Blended crayfish

Stock

Cooked meat, fish, or chicken (it depends on personal preference)

Pumpkin leaves

Simple steps to follow
Blend your egusi and make it into a paste by mixing with water or stock from the meat;

Put a pot on a stove and pour your palm oil, set to low heat;

Add the stock and set your cooker to low heat to simmer;

Add your grounded crayfish;

Use a teaspoon to make the egusi paste into a ball and put it into the pot;

Leave to simmer for 20-30 minutes;

Add your meat and fish and other ingredients you have prepared;

Add the already cut-up and washed pumpkin leaves;

Stir and put a lid on the pot and allow to cook for 10 minutes;

Stir and taste to check if the seasoning is enough, add more if need be;

Leave for 2 mins and your soup is ready.

This soup can be served with different kinds of swallows like eba, pounded yam, semo, and any swallow you prefer.

Once again, if you’re planning on visiting this beautiful country Nigeria, then you most definitely should try this soup.

Source:http:///15968a06210317en_ng?client=newslite
Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by Gandollaar(f): 3:20pm On Apr 11, 2021
Madam if this is how you cook your egusi, then you are not a good cook.

1. You didn't fry the egusi paste in the oil

2. How will your egusi form balls just by using a spoon to scoop it in little amounts into the simmering soup without pounding it first with onions or mixing it with something like raw egg to form a paste that coagulates inside the boiling soup?

3. Add the cut pumpkin leaves and allow to simmer for 10 whole minutes Veggies? Seriously?

4. Food blogging is not your forte madam.
Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by InvestingExpert(m): 4:28pm On Apr 11, 2021
Gandollaar:

2. How will your egusi form balls just by using a spoon to scoop it in little amounts into the simmering soup without pounding it first with onions or mixing it with something like raw egg to form a paste that coagulates inside the boiling soup?

3. Add the cut pumpkin leaves and allow to simmer for 10 whole minutes Veggies? Seriously?

Ok o
First of all I'm not a madam
Second of all, since you know how to cook it why not show us rather than complain

Abi no be fight na,

3 Likes

Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by Gandollaar(f): 6:13pm On Apr 11, 2021
InvestingExpert:

Ok o
First of all I'm not a madam
Second of all, since you know how to cook it why not show us rather than complain

Abi no be fight na,
You for tok say you nor too Sabi cook so that we can take that into consideration abinitio.

The tips I provided don done the soup nau.
Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by Nobody: 6:19pm On Apr 11, 2021
Gandollaar:

It's not only frying that makes egusi form lumps. Boiling it even forms bigger lumps than frying and thats the method I mostly use. It all depends on how you prep the egusi.

3 Likes

Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by Gandollaar(f): 9:05pm On Apr 11, 2021
AsherAmari:

It's not only frying that makes egusi form lumps. Boiling it even forms bigger lumps than frying and thats method I mostly use. It all depends on how you prep the egusi.

Lumps formed by boiling alone are not firm and don't last.
Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by Nobody: 9:28pm On Apr 11, 2021
Gandollaar:
Lumps formed by boiling alone are not firm and don't last.

They are firm and a bit hard as meat. sometimes I have to start crushing with a spoon to reduce the lumps in the soup.

Once the egusi is mixed into a thick paste and scooped into hot boiling water or meat stock, it must form. It's a lot healthier than the fried one.

3 Likes

Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by Gandollaar(f): 11:19pm On Apr 11, 2021
AsherAmari:

They are firm and a bit hard as meat. sometimes I have to start crushing with a spoon to reduce the lumps in the soup.

Once the egusi is mixed into a thick paste and scooped into hot boiling water or meat stock, it must form. It's a lot healthier than the fried one.
This is a big lie.

Egusi simply mixed with water and scooped into hot boiling water does not form lump unless you previously sliced onions into it and crush/stir together thoroughly.. Even at that, the lump so formed don't last.

It's even worse with the poor quality egusi in the market now which do not have the resilience of the real thing.

Fried egusi preserves the soup from quickly getting sour incase an unfavorable weather is encountered.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by Nobody: 11:30pm On Apr 11, 2021
Gandollaar:
This is a big lie.

Egusi simply mixed with water and scooped into hot boiling water does not form lump unless you previously sliced onions into it and crush/stir together thoroughly.. Even at that, the lump so formed don't last.

It's even worse with the poor quality egusi in the market now which do not have the resilience of the real thing.

Fried egusi preserves the soup from quickly getting sour incase an unfavorable weather is encountered.

Imagine...
Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by Gandollaar(f): 11:35pm On Apr 11, 2021
AsherAmari:

Imagine...

You can take it to the bank!
Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by Nobody: 11:44pm On Apr 11, 2021
Gandollaar:
You can take it to the bank!
Take fry fry to the bank??. Is fried egusi, egusi soup?

Anyways, I'm not surprised because not everybody knows how to cook egusi soup. What most of you know is fry fry.

As a caterer, I'll handle egusi soup without frying, under any weather condition and it won't go bad.
Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by Gandollaar(f): 11:53pm On Apr 11, 2021
AsherAmari:

Take fry fry to the bank??. Is fried egusi, egusi soup?

Anyways, I'm not surprised because not everybody knows how to cook egusi soup. What most of you know is fry fry.

As a caterer, I'll handle egusi soup without frying, under any weather condition and it won't go bad.
Lol

If you were a qualified caterer (don't even have to be one to know), you would call out the OP for boiling Ugu for 10mins and not my egusi cooking methods.
Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by Nobody: 12:20am On Apr 12, 2021
Gandollaar:
Lol

If you were a qualified caterer (don't even have to be one to know), you would call out the OP for boiling Ugu for 10mins and not my egusi cooking methods.

There you go again. Its the job of a nutritionist to call him out on the timing
of his cooking. not mine cos im not a nutritionist.

In my years of catering, not everyone likes halfdone veggies. So it's not something you go forcing on people just because you're a caterer. Its all about preference. You give your client exactly what they requested. Some like it over cooked while others like it halfdone. So it may be ops choice to cook it for ten mins.

Also, I didn't stop by with the intention of criticizing the OP or anyone for that matter but somehow I was drawn to your comment because of the fake info you passed across.

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by Gandollaar(f): 6:07am On Apr 12, 2021
AsherAmari:

There you go again. Its the job of a nutritionist to call him out on the timing
of his cooking. not mine cos im not a nutritionist.

In my years of catering, not everyone likes halfdone veggies. So it's not something you go forcing on people just because you're a caterer. Its all about preference. You give your client exactly what they requested. Some like it over cooked while others like it halfdone. So it may be ops choice to cook it for ten mins.

Also, I didn't stop by with the intention of criticizing the OP or anyone for that matter but somehow I was drawn to your comment because of the fake info you passed across.
Lol
Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by InvestingExpert(m): 10:34am On Apr 12, 2021
Any other comment grin

Let's keep the thread going now

Don't just stop here
Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by InvestingExpert(m): 9:42am On Apr 21, 2021
Good morning food
Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by InvestingExpert(m): 7:40am On Apr 22, 2021
Good morning
Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by InvestingExpert(m): 10:08am On Apr 24, 2021
Good morning people
Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by InvestingExpert(m): 8:05am On Apr 30, 2021
5m
Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by InvestingExpert(m): 6:22am On May 01, 2021
Food morning fam
Re: How To Make Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup, Recipe, And Simple Steps by InvestingExpert(m): 7:07am On Jul 26, 2021
Good morning gs

(1) (Reply)

What Type Of Candies Do Most Nigerians Like? / How You Can Use Scent Leaves To Clean Off Toxins From Your Body / This Is What I Saw On The Golden Penny Spaghetti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.