Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,135 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Nigeria: Vaccination Starts In Africa's Most Populous Country - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria: Vaccination Starts In Africa's Most Populous Country (125 Views)

COVID-19: Lagos Leads As Nigeria’s Vaccination Figure Crosses 700,000 / Young Man Jumps Out Of Car, Starts Acting Crazy (VIDEO) / Lady Jumps Down From A Bike And Starts Misbehaving In Ado Ekiti (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Vaccination Starts In Africa's Most Populous Country by Addamas: 2:36am On Apr 12, 2021
The Nigerian Minister of Health Osagie Ehanire says that due to agreements with the African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank), the delivery of vaccines on this scale is guaranteed.
70 million Johnson & Johnson vaccines are to be provided by the African Union, and 13.76 million doses of AstraZeneca will be allocated by the international vaccine initiative COVAX.
The government in Abjuja is also mobilizing the economy to finance the project. For example, the Nigerian telecommunications giant MTN donated $ 25 million to order 1.4 million vaccines. Of these, 300,000 cans of AstraZeneca were already delivered in March. Other large companies should follow this example.
Vaccinations for 70 percent of the population by 2020
Boss Mustapha is the chairman of the government's COVID-19 task force, which coordinates all measures to contain the corona pandemic. Mustapha hopes local pharmaceutical companies will be able to manufacture COVID-19 vaccines in Nigeria within a year.
The government's goal is to have enough vaccines for 70 percent of the population by 2022, Mustapha said. He points out that Nigeria has many years of experience in dealing with nationwide vaccination programs. For example, it was possible to eradicate polio .
With around 200 million inhabitants, Nigeria is the most populous country on the continent.
Great skepticism about vaccination
However, Mustapha is worried about the widespread skepticism about the COVID-19 vaccines. According to a survey by the National Primary Healthcare Development Agency, only half of the population currently wants to be vaccinated.
To demonstrate the safety of the vaccinations, President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo had themselves vaccinated in front of television cameras. "I received my first sting and I would like to recommend all eligible Nigerians do the same to protect us from the virus," Buhari said when he was vaccinated on March 6.
To ensure efficient vaccine distribution, Nigeria has implemented a digital registration. According to Faisal Shuaib, Executive Director of the National Primary Health Care Development Agency, anyone over the age of 18 can register for the vaccination.
The sequence of vaccinations is based on priorities. Key workers in the health sector should be the first to act, older people and people with previous illnesses are also given preference in vaccination.
As of April 7, Nigeria has recorded 163,498 cases of COVID-19 and 2,058 people have died. The number of tests carried out so far is 1.8 million.
Re: Nigeria: Vaccination Starts In Africa's Most Populous Country by Muyiwaipere(m): 5:14am On Apr 12, 2021
Well I took mine in Ghana two days ago...my upper arm and chest aren’t mine again
Re: Nigeria: Vaccination Starts In Africa's Most Populous Country by Righteousness2(m): 10:54am On Apr 12, 2021
Muyiwaipere:
Well I took mine in Ghana two days ago...my upper arm and chest aren’t mine again
grin
Re: Nigeria: Vaccination Starts In Africa's Most Populous Country by Simisima(m): 12:07pm On Apr 12, 2021
Am yet to see it in my area.

(1) (Reply)

Nearly 40% Of Marines Decline COVID-19 Vaccine / Steps To Properly Wear The N95 Mask To Reduce The Virus Transmission / Ramadan Is Here, And You Can Enjoy The Health Benefits Of Fasting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.