Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,145 members, 7,821,905 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Anambra Residents Flee As Police Release Criminal Suspects - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Anambra Residents Flee As Police Release Criminal Suspects (1061 Views)

Residents Flee As Army Shuts Military Camp, Withdraws Troops From Niger State / Charms Found On Criminal Suspects Arrested In Lagos [photos] / Anambra Residents Chase Herdsmen, Cattle Out Of Their Community (VIDEO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra Residents Flee As Police Release Criminal Suspects by TonyRazor(m): 3:25pm On Apr 14, 2021
TonyRazor

Anambra residents flee as police release criminal suspects

The people of Umuduayika and Atiko kindred of Iruayika village, Awkuzu in the Oyi Local Government Area of Anambra State have fled the community following the release of some criminal suspects by the police.
The suspects were accused of killing one person in the community and destroying property worth millions of naira.

Chairman of the community, Ogugua Nweke, flanked by the secretary, Prince Francis Nweke and another stakeholder, Prince Alex Ezebuilo, in a statement on Wednesday expressed worry over the development.

They said their worry was that the people arrested in connection with the crisis in the community had been released, urging the police to carry out proper investigation into the matter.

Nweke said,"With the release of these suspects, our village is no longer safe. Most of our people have fled and are hiding outside the village, while the suspects who were released by the police are roaming the street and bragging and daring.

As a consequence, the community had petitioned the Inspector General of Police over alleged murder of one person and destruction of property worth millions of naira in the area

In the petition by their counsel, C.C. Onubogu, which was copied to the Assistant Inspector General of Police, Zone 13, Ukpo, the community traced the incident to May, 2020 when some youths in the area allegedly attempted to forcefully take over the management of the communal land without authorization from the stakeholders.

The petition read in part, “Sometime in May, 2020, some ill-advised, misinformed and dissident youths of Iruayika village attempted to take over the management of the Nkpukpo, Nchalla and Amanakwe lands. Their aim was to parcel the lands, re-allocate some to themselves and then sell.
These youths began threatening violence, mayhem and even death on anyone who tried to stop them.

“Following the threats, the stakeholders wrote to the Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Police Command, asking for the intervention of the Police to forestall breach of the peace in the community and loss of lives. It was only after the intervention of the Police that peace and normalcy was restored to the village.

“ On the 22nd of December, 2020 at about 2 am, they visited the house of the chairman of the stakeholders' delegates, Mr. Ogugua Nweke at Iruayika village, who ran away when he sighted them and hid nearby.

“When the youths met his absence, they vandalized and destroyed his properties worth over N1 million. They also carted away items he had purchased in preparation for the funeral ceremony of his late father in law.

“On the 24th of December, 2020 their leader called Mr. Ogugua Nweke and threatened to kill him and other stakeholders if they refuse to allow one Mr. Udeze Eze to take over the sale and management of the lands jointly owned by the Umuduayika and Atiko kindred. This threat has made Ogugua Nweke to go into hiding with his family.

“In the early hours of the 3rd day of January, 2021 they visited the residence of one Mr. Ifeanyi Okonkwo, a stakeholder and killed him.

"They also destroyed the house of Prince Alex Ezebilo, another stakeholder and set ablaze his ML Mercedes Jeep, his soundproof generator, as well as two other generators.

“We, therefore, humbly urge you to use your good office to safeguard the lives and property of members of lruayika Village, and carry out a proper investigation into the murder and criminal activities.”

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Ikenga Tochukwu said he was not aware of the Awkuzu crisis.

Re: Anambra Residents Flee As Police Release Criminal Suspects by ItsGoodToBeGood: 3:33pm On Apr 14, 2021
Wahala no gree finish,,,

Make them no worry,, Ebube aguu will come to their rescue

1 Like

Re: Anambra Residents Flee As Police Release Criminal Suspects by hilaryCU(m): 3:52pm On Apr 14, 2021
Bernard Madoff once had billions of dollars, but in the last years of his life, he made $40 a month doing menial prison labor.

The mastermind behind the largest Ponzi scheme in US history died at 82 on Wednesday.

"I used to work as a clerk in the commissary, and now they have me taking care of the telephone and the computer systems," said Madoff, speaking by phone from a federal prison in North Carolina. His prison phone account didn't have any money in it, so he had to call CNN Business collect.

Bernie Madoff, infamous Ponzi schemer, has died
As far as the computers and phones go, Madoff said he has to "make sure they're working and they're kept clean," but he emphasizes that this requires no technical skill whatsoever.

It's a far cry from his former life. Once head of his own finance firm, Madoff is now identified as inmate #61727-054 at Butner Federal Correctional Complex. He's serving a 150-year sentence after pleading guilty, in 2009, to siphoning $17.5 billion from thousands of investors, wiping them out in a long-running, pyramid-style deception.

He said he only works "a few hours" a day, which leaves him plenty of time to ponder his undoing.

"I'm usually up at 4:30 in the morning because I can t sleep," said Madoff, 75, who is scheduled to be released in 2139.

Certainly his surroundings in a medium-security prison are a lot less comfortable. When his massive Ponzi scheme unraveled in 2008, Madoff had to give up his $7 million Manhattan penthouse, a beach house in Montauk, N.Y, his homes in Florida, and France, as well as a yacht named "The Bull."

Madoff took great pains to insulate his family from his financial wrongdoings, but it didn't work.

He's especially haunted by the 2010 suicide of his oldest son, Mark, who hanged himself on the second anniversary of his father's arrest.

"I was responsible for my son Mark's death and that's very, very difficult," he said. "I live with that. I live with the remorse, the pain I caused everybody, certainly my family, and the victims."

Bernie Madoff wants Trump to commute his prison sentence
His younger brother Peter, 67, is serving a 10-year sentence at a medium-security federal prison in South Carolina, after pleading guilty to covering up the financial wrong-doing.

"Obviously, the main concern that I have is being away from my family," he said. "Married for 50 years, I had a very close family."

Madoff said that his deception began after the Black Monday crash of 1987, a massive stock market sell-off from which he never truly recovered. He said that's when he turned his investors into victims, but he insists that his crime was never supposed to go on for so long.

"It was certainly never my intention for this to happen," said Madoff. "I thought I could work myself out of a temporary situation but it kept getting worse and worse and I didn't have the courage to admit what I had done. It created a major problem."

Many victims of Madoff's "problem" had hoped he would suffer in prison. But Mike De Vita, a Madoff victim who co-authored "The Club that No One Wanted to Join," observed that "life for him is kind of good in some ways."

De Vita doesn't believe that Madoff feels any true remorse for the damage he caused to others, even to his own family. He dismissed Madoff's remorse as "words, and words alone."

"How could a father bring his own two sons into a business that he knows is nothing more than a massive criminal enterprise?" De Vita asked. "If he has that little consideration for his own family, how much consideration do you think he has for us?"

Source: CNN
Re: Anambra Residents Flee As Police Release Criminal Suspects by Shellsploit: 4:10pm On Apr 14, 2021
shocked
Lalasticlacla sef
Re: Anambra Residents Flee As Police Release Criminal Suspects by Aaa007: 7:48pm On Apr 14, 2021
kanu boys should pls burn down the east . is that not what he wants grin
Re: Anambra Residents Flee As Police Release Criminal Suspects by annyplenty(m): 7:36am On Apr 15, 2021
If this is true, it is aiding, abetting and unprofessionalism.

Anyway, all these are still part of Scriptures fulfillment.

Stay ready. Soon, the alarm sounds.
Re: Anambra Residents Flee As Police Release Criminal Suspects by McLizbae: 7:37am On Apr 15, 2021
Lols... O wrong sha.
Re: Anambra Residents Flee As Police Release Criminal Suspects by kingthreat(m): 9:55am On Apr 15, 2021
No be una dey support killing of police by unknown gunmen? You guys are on your own o. Better call ESN

(1) (Reply)

Usifo Ataga: He Must Have Been Tricked To Visit Where He Was Killed – Douglas, C / Church Burnt To Ashes As Prophet Ordered For The Arrest Of His Member (video) / Why Do Northerners Come To Lagos, Since They Like Sharia Law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.