Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Lawyers In The House - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Lawyers In The House (10655 Views)

Recruitment Of Young Lawyers In Lagos / Lawyers In The House / We Are Recruiting Lawyers In Ikeja ( Applicant Must Have Been Called To The Bar) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lawyers In The House by Rutherford2019: 12:27pm On Apr 15, 2021
I was suspended from my job by a federal university along with 820 others in 2017.
Since then I have been receiving credit alerts from my pension fund administrator...meaning that my salary is being paid monthly since 2017 till date.
I was recalled in February this year but I don't want to go back to the job again.
Should I go to court to reclaimed my salary and for damages? What is the possibility of me winning the case against the university?
Note..there is no case or fraud against me, I have my appointment letters, suspension letter and statement of account from my PFA.

1 Like

Re: Lawyers In The House by horlahsunbo225(m): 1:27pm On Apr 15, 2021
FTC
Please resume your job

5 Likes

Re: Lawyers In The House by Socialproject: 1:28pm On Apr 15, 2021
Wao
Re: Lawyers In The House by GboyegaD(m): 1:28pm On Apr 15, 2021
I want to believe a discussion with those in payroll should be the first step to take.

3 Likes

Re: Lawyers In The House by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:28pm On Apr 15, 2021
Note..there is no case or fraud against me, I have my appointment letters, suspension letter and statement of account from my PFA.
With all these evidences at your disposal, we are going to advise you to contact a good lawyer.
It won't be advisable to do this yourself.
OR
The second option is to be a whistle blower by getting in touch with EFCC.
All you need to do is to send an email.

All the very best.

SadiqBabaSani:
Who has ben receiving yr salary
That is the main question here.
Some Oga at the top obviously!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lawyers In The House by zeedrous: 1:28pm On Apr 15, 2021
Take the necessary actions in the court of law
Re: Lawyers In The House by mbahdi(m): 1:28pm On Apr 15, 2021
D
Re: Lawyers In The House by nickvanilla(m): 1:28pm On Apr 15, 2021
@ Rutherford2019, there's nowhere in the labour act where it is written that an employee can be suspended without pay. Even if the contract allows it, the law can wade in to declare it unconscionable and therefore unenforceable. You have a right to your pay! 3 years is too much, and I think you should consider pursuing an action in the National Industrial Court. It's possible someone else has been taking the salary and that of your colleagues.

Anyways, if you need further guidance, you can reach me via email or call. Check my signature.

2 Likes

Re: Lawyers In The House by Seniorwriter(m): 1:29pm On Apr 15, 2021
Seek Legal Advice with a Lawyer showing your evidence and present a case to the institution through the lawyer with a copy of a court legal summon!

@Seniorwriter
Re: Lawyers In The House by Onyeka8: 1:29pm On Apr 15, 2021
G
Re: Lawyers In The House by wwwtortoise(m): 1:29pm On Apr 15, 2021
Dear OP,
I quite understand your plight. It’s painful to get PFA alerts without receiving a corresponding salary cr. alerts (where the statutory deduction is being made from).

Let me guess
Someone in the system is cashing out with your portfolio as a ghost worker. This is Nigeria guys!

Kindly gather intel from an internal source (an old colleague or loyal friend), then threaten to persecute involved parties after you have concrete and substantial (I used both words intentionally cool evidence .

If they plead guilty, demand a reasonable monetary compensation.

Let filling a court case be your last card to play in this game of wits.

Good luck!

6 Likes

Re: Lawyers In The House by vinceobe: 1:29pm On Apr 15, 2021
My friend, go after your money else somebody will swoop on it when is stayed idle.
Re: Lawyers In The House by Nobody: 1:30pm On Apr 15, 2021
Instead of asking if I read the post, why not explain what you guys understand from the post?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lawyers In The House by Ombre(m): 1:30pm On Apr 15, 2021
M
Re: Lawyers In The House by airminem(f): 1:30pm On Apr 15, 2021
Waitttttttttttttttttttttttttttt for the Lawyerssssssss as you requesttttttttttt
Re: Lawyers In The House by Splendor4(m): 1:30pm On Apr 15, 2021
l'm just reading comments
Re: Lawyers In The House by Wondermumsy(f): 1:30pm On Apr 15, 2021
Waiting to learn
Re: Lawyers In The House by SadiqBabaSani: 1:30pm On Apr 15, 2021
Who has ben receiving yr salary
Re: Lawyers In The House by pretydiva(f): 1:34pm On Apr 15, 2021
Seek legal advice. But why don't you want to go back there? Perhaps you have gotten something better
Re: Lawyers In The House by Dhavido(m): 1:36pm On Apr 15, 2021
Just let it go
Re: Lawyers In The House by Muyiwaipere(m): 1:36pm On Apr 15, 2021
A
Re: Lawyers In The House by CodeTemplar: 1:37pm On Apr 15, 2021
post=100817304:

With all these evidences at your disposal, we are going to advise you to contact a good lawyer.
It won't be advisable to do this yourself.
OR
The second option is to be a whistle blower by getting in touch with EFCC.
All you need to do is to send an email.

All the very best.

That is the main question here.
Some Oga at the top obviously!
Why do you always feel the need to speak on behalf of some nonexistent people.

4 Likes

Re: Lawyers In The House by Nobody: 1:37pm On Apr 15, 2021
It's a pity the Ogas at the top must have butchered the money as it dropped

Won ni amukun eru e wo, o ni oke le n wo, e o wo isale.

A colleague was attacked by hoodlums on the field & his earphone was stolen. He made a call & told the office that his phone was collected by the hoodlums knowing that office would get him a new phone. If you say otherwise as a junior colleague, you create an enemy for yourself coz he wouldn't be spared. Here is another person with a political ambition,,,,, why won't snakes swallow our money

Corruption is deeply rooted tongue

1 Like

Re: Lawyers In The House by NamelessOGBENI(m): 1:38pm On Apr 15, 2021
Ghost workers chronicle..
Re: Lawyers In The House by Simplebeauty: 1:40pm On Apr 15, 2021
undecided
Re: Lawyers In The House by nnamdi65(m): 1:40pm On Apr 15, 2021
Get back to the system first by starting the work.
Even though you have something else doing

Get back to the work firs and understand the current system

Make proper findings of the salary is actually be paid on the payroll

Then you can start your case if you even want.
But hey get the work first and start cashing 9ut gradually while you do your current work simultaneously

2 Likes

Re: Lawyers In The House by SIRRITE: 1:45pm On Apr 15, 2021
What I will ask u to observe first is::
1. did u received the same alert that month u where suspended? If yes then ur suspension was not updated into the salary portal.
2. If u stop receiving the alert of ur salary after u where suspended, and start later receiving it after a month or after, if yes, then u where restated but someone is collecting it hmmm
Re: Lawyers In The House by Ayowumie(m): 1:46pm On Apr 15, 2021
Rutherford2019:
I was suspended from my job by a federal university along with 820 others in 2017.
Since then I have been receiving credit alerts from my pension fund administrator...meaning that my salary is being paid monthly since 2017 till date.
I was recalled in February this year but I don't want to go back to the job again.
Should I go to court to reclaimed my salary and for damages? What is the possibility of me winning the case against the university?

Because you were suspended, it means automatically the payment of salary to you should cease (provided the suspension is not an administrative leave). However, given that monthly remittances were going into your pension account, it means someone somewhere was ensuring that the University kept on paying your salary and another person or persons were collecting the salary on your behalf. Fraud was being commited in your name.

Should you go to court ?

It all depends on what you intend to achieve from the court. Most likely,the fraud would be identified (and perpetrators would most likely go scot-free). Then all remittances into pension account since the day you were suspended would be withdrawn; as the court may rule that salaries were being paid in "error".

Concerning damages, on what ground would you want to claim damages - on the ground of unlawful suspension or non-payment of salaries ?

And by the way,why would you want to go to court when you have been recalled ? My suggestion to you would be for you to explore the possibilities of ensuring that your salaries since you were suspended are paid to you (if this is possible). You can go to court to enforce this but I do not think it would be a good idea as you are most likely a junior staff in the university.

Good luck with your decision!

7 Likes

Re: Lawyers In The House by Rutherford2019: 1:58pm On Apr 15, 2021
The issue here is that I am no longer available for the job. In February last year, I received a three month salary after I registered in IPPIS with my name and employment number. I did the registration without the university knowing but I learned that the university went to Abuja to stop my salary payments.
My enquiry is whether I would be able to get some compensation from court because I am no longer available for the job
Re: Lawyers In The House by Minjim: 1:59pm On Apr 15, 2021
Same thing happened to my elder brother 6 years ago at a College of Education in the North.
He exposed the financial impropriety in the institution and he was sacked and forced out of the staff quarters. All the while he get alerts of his salary till date.
Since my dad is a politician he tried to settle it for 4 years with no luck.
2 years ago he took the school to court for forcefully ejecting him from quarters. He won that case and the school was asked to pay 8m. Since the didn't, the school bus was confiscated.
He also took them to Industrial Court last year on his illegal sack. The school lawyer appeared in court once, called no witness and raised no objection because evidence against them is overwhelming. The pronouncement by the judge is next month.

What I'm trying to say is, don't waste time negotiating. Take them to court. My brother wasted 4 years trying to reason with them but las, las, Nah court dey settle am now .

7 Likes

Re: Lawyers In The House by BarrElChapo(m): 2:00pm On Apr 15, 2021
This is confusing, who was receiving the initial salary you? Or you think the school doesn't know they were paying you ?..

If the latter were the case you can fine but just know it may not bode well on the long run.

Meanwhile if you want them to pay you don't head to court straight (all courts are currently closed) why not kick start the procedure for recovery of the unpaid salary first, if the school doesn't act appropriately then you seek legal redress in court.

And of course you can very much win the University in court.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Apply For Flexedge Limited Fresh Graduate & Exp. Job Recruitment (12 Positions) / What Should I Do? Learn A Skill Or Continue Job Hunting / Cadbury Recruitment Process 2013 (Management Trainee)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.