Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,168 members, 7,811,386 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:43 AM

Programming Is just Like Playing Football - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming Is just Like Playing Football (13376 Views)

Pls Help!!...my Hours Of Programming Is Going To Waste / Programming Is Not Fun And To Make It Fun / Looks Like Programming Is Not My Way... Advise Me Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by Falconx47: 2:23pm On Apr 23, 2021
I think it's a matter of knowing exactly what one intends to do with the specific Tech skills, before they set out to acquire it, don't just dive in and start learning a particular language, platform, framework, etc, just because everyone is screaming Tech...not without having planned out what you intend to do with it at the end.

The best thing in my opinion, is to target specific high paying industry, draft a path that will let one acquire the skills they need and land a good job there and proceed.

Another path could be the entrepreneurial route, to team up with like minds and create your own thing.

There is also a need to have domain knowledge, most tech skills are applied in one industry or the other, have knowledge of a particular industry in addition to tech skills, makes one well rounded.

Mentorship comes handy too, to avoid wandering in the dark.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by ProfAmaben(m): 4:08pm On Apr 23, 2021
WinterMinter:
all what you typed here is the plain truth
i was observing if i should dive into programming,but i'm not yet loaded
and of course its my passion,but first of all i have to survive before going after passions

You are not a solid programmer yet, can you reverse a linked list? Or solve Dijkstra's shortest path algorithm? If you can do this, you would easily pass an interview with Andela. Don't quit, keep at it.
Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by chiedozie198100: 4:10pm On Apr 23, 2021
All of you complaining that programming is over populated, I challenge you to post your link to your projects n let's see how competent you are in the first place.

6 Likes

Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:19pm On Apr 23, 2021
Falconx47:
I think it's a matter of knowing exactly what one intends to do with the specific Tech skills, before they set out to acquire it, don't just dive in and start learning a particular language, platform, framework, etc, just because everyone is screaming Tech...not without having planned out what you intend to do with it at the end.

The best thing in my opinion, is to target specific high paying industry, draft a path that will let one acquire the skills they need and land a good job there and proceed.

Another path could be the entrepreneurial route, to team up with like minds and create your own thing.

There is also a need to have domain knowledge, most tech skills are applied in one industry or the other, have knowledge of a particular industry in addition to tech skills, makes one well rounded.

Mentorship comes handy too, to avoid wandering in the dark.
This couldn't be said any better unfortunately people spend years without realising this simple truth.
Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:19pm On Apr 23, 2021
ProfAmaben:

You are not a solid programmer yet, can you reverse a linked list? Or solve Dijkstra's shortest path algorithm? If you can do this, you would easily pass an interview with Andela. Don't quit, keep at it.
All andela gives is just reversing a linked list seriously.

1 Like

Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by darediamond(m): 4:28pm On Apr 23, 2021
WinterMinter:
Alright can you teach me how to make money with thrm.
Get a good programmer that can create a Powerful Crypto Arbitrage Bot and your Life WILL NEVER REMAIN THE SAME AS DANGOTE AGAIN.

No joke here!!!

3 Likes

Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by malawi101(m): 5:23pm On Apr 23, 2021
lekki1444:
just list the shit out for the guy and stop being a pompous fellow

Don't be rude son. You go ahead and list it if you must.

2 Likes

Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by ezehisaac(m): 5:55pm On Apr 23, 2021
I studied Software Engineering with one of the best private universities in Asia and I can authoritatively tell you that 4 years of active studies are not enough to be a good programmer.

Within this period, I was exposed to C, C++, C#, Java, Php, SQL, Wordpress, Android, iOS, Graphic design, Multimedia content development.

During my finals, my rector told me that he has a gift for me for being a 1st class graduating student.

Guess what the gift was. He told me to go and study frameworks like VueJs, Laravel and slack.

He said with these 3 frameworks, my future is secure.

I'm yet to study any of them because I'm busy with side projects coming up every now and then, though small and engaging as an Intermediary Software Engineer.

To create my own path, I picked SQL and Software Designs.
I believe with these two, my dreams of developing robust algorithms for my dream software will surely be achieved.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by ProfAmaben(m): 6:35pm On Apr 23, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

All andela gives is just reversing a linked list seriously.

No, not all, what I meant was that a programmer should be solid in solving algorithms in order to get good jobs. There are numerous programming jobs with few good software engineers to occupy. If the young man can perform a Breadth first search or Dijkstra's shortest path algorithm, it is impossible for him not to land a $3000 job.

A company recently reached out to me over a JAMstack developer position, they have been looking for someone competent for over a month.

You don't have to believe me though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:41pm On Apr 23, 2021
ProfAmaben:

No, not all, what I meant was that a programmer should be solid in solving algorithms in order to get good jobs. There are numerous programming jobs with few good software engineers to occupy. If the young man can perform a Breadth first search or Dijkstra's shortest path algorithm, it is impossible for him not to land a $3000 job.

A company recently reached out to me over a JAMstack developer position, they have been looking for someone competent for over a month.

You don't have to believe me though.
Jamstack developers are scarce. That's what I work as. Before I got my present job my boss said he has been looking for someone for months it was shocking. I had an unfinished project and that was okay for him for me to work with him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by ProfAmaben(m): 7:05pm On Apr 23, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Jamstack developers are scarce. That's what I work as. Before I got my present job my boss said he has been looking for someone for months it was shocking. I had an unfinished project and that was okay for him for me to work with him.
Exactly my point, we have so many jobs but few good software engineers to fill them.
Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by Nobody: 7:12pm On Apr 23, 2021
MrCuteking:
I was learning programming with full passion to become a senior developer. Honestly I remember trying to build my first responsive website. It was a herculean task. I succeeded, it was fun but I couldn't get a job with my skill..
Thank God for the experience.

But I made the best decision of my life last year. Dropping programming for more profitable but difficult skill I wouldn't mention.
please mention it now

1 Like

Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by Zilnature85: 7:24pm On Apr 23, 2021
ThePlainTruth:
Almost everyone loves playing football from when they are young to being an adult but to become a professional footballer and be making money from playing football is a different ball game.

I have noticed that programming is just like playing football almost everyone is jumping into programming because of this natural love once someone finds out about programming.

Some say money is not their motive for programming that it is a passion, true if your parents a loaded. But for those who are looking at making ends meet by going into programming which requires finanial resourses and plenty of time, it will be good to research first and find out how many people are actually making money from programming. I have seen over 50 programmers chasing one small job on a freelance website.
If you intend to create the next popular platform then you need to research into how these platforms become very popular and are attracting plenty of users.

Programming is fun and very enticing even though it requires long hours but remember that making ends meet from programming does not just happen like magic and that people will always say to you come and learn programming but they will not show you a guaranteed way of making ends meet from it.

You hit the nail in its head.
Programming is a very seductive career, but the truth is that it isn't that simple as some make it look.
You will have to arm yourself with a strong passion to be able to go a mile in that career path, because the speed at which technology changes this days, you will always have to be young, inquisitive and curious at heart to keep pace with changes in that environment

1 Like

Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by Nobody: 8:48pm On Apr 23, 2021
Zilnature85:

You hit the nail in its head.
Programming is a very seductive career, but the truth is that it isn't that simple as some make it look.
You will have to arm yourself with a strong passion to be able to go a mile in that career path, because the speed at which technology changes this days, you will always have to be young, inquisitive and curious at heart to keep pace with changes in that environment

Well said. Becoming a good programmer can only be possible for a newbie who has a good one-to-one mentor online or face to face with very good commercial experience.
Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by Richthekid: 9:35pm On Apr 23, 2021
For u
Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by toby345(m): 10:57pm On Apr 23, 2021
But why do people on nairaland don't talk about Solidity i read somewhere that it is also a good language since it is used for blockchain. I am not a programmer yet but I think this language is also a good one but I have seen very few Nigerians use this language but their pay is damn good
Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by Dujardin(m): 3:03am On Apr 24, 2021
This thread should just be trashed.

Programming is fun and lucrative compared to what is obtainable at the labour market.
People want to be programmers without doing the hustle and that's where the problem is. If you try to become a programmer because of the money in it, you won't last.

OP also shed that mentality that you need serious resources to become a programmer. A normal laptop and small internet can get you started. If you are diligent for 6 months, good job will come your way and the rest is story..

1 Like

Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by Codedboy95(m): 7:29am On Apr 24, 2021
toby345:
But why do people on nairaland don't talk about Solidity i read somewhere that it is also a good language since it is used for blockchain. I am not a programmer yet but I think this language is also a good one but I have seen very few Nigerians use this language but their pay is damn good
Solidity is in my 'to learn' list this year, just like you said, the pay is really good. The reason you don't hear much about it in Nigeria is because most Nigerians jump on things late ( we prefer to jump on things that has already 'blown' than trying out things, but thanks crypto, blockchain development is getting really popular now), we do have some Blockchain devs in Nigeria but not very much. But i predict that in 2 - 3 years alot of people will jump on the train because the world is moving towards decentralized applications.

1 Like

Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by Abiboss: 11:38am On Apr 24, 2021
Following
Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by Albertone(m): 8:18pm On Apr 24, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Plus many never reach that point of entry level. Give ten guys laptops today and money for data to go and learn coding. In a year time, only one might have made it. Most times none will even make it. That it's hot and everyone is running into it doesn't mean that everyone has the endurance to reach the end.

Whenever you want to give the ten guys laptop,just make me one of them.I will shock you in 6months grin

1 Like

Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by darealez(m): 4:45pm On Oct 22, 2021
spartan117:

It can, and has been done. You won't be an expert but you will be able to display a high level of competence and pick up new things fast if you choose a stack and dedicate yourself to it for a year.

Let me break this down a bit.

It's possible for me to learn many IT stuffs to professionalism in 1year. However I didn't start programming today. In fact, before launching into web technology I was a core programmer.

Anyone launching into tech should be optimistic, especially web technologies. However, it takes time and dedication to get your T's crossed!

For backend interest, you should understand real programming! Lol I bet Frontend developers will faint if we take them through backend, I Guarantee This!

So to become a seasoned Full Stack.., from zero level, it'll take years.
Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by maak400: 9:47am On Dec 19, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
It's not easy. It's why I advise WordPress or Shopify first because those ones are easy and their jobs usually don't require any certifications. Once you are on the job you can start learning things like salesforce, sap, Magento, servicenow et al because those ones can take another year and then you have to write exams to certify yourself and these exams ain't cheap. They go for thousands of dollars.
I design websites with WordPress, I have designed many types of WordPress websites such as e-commerce, educational, and corporate websites. I currently work for a startup company as a WordPress web designer in Lagos but the pay is very low. I know the core WordPress software is created with mainly PHP. If I want to become a WordPress Developer, I need to master PHP programming right? Please kindly explain what I need to be a programmer on the WordPress platform. Thanks.
Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:51am On Dec 19, 2021
maak400:

I design websites with WordPress, I have designed many types of WordPress websites such as e-commerce, educational, and corporate websites. I currently work for a startup company as a WordPress web designer in Lagos but the pay is very low. I know the core WordPress software is created with mainly PHP. If I want to become a WordPress Developer, I need to master PHP programming right? Please kindly explain what I need to be a programmer on the WordPress platform. Thanks.

HTML CSS JavaScript react Node PHP and you are good to go.

2 Likes

Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by maak400: 9:26pm On Dec 19, 2021
Thanks a lot
tensazangetsu20:

HTML CSS JavaScript react Node PHP and you are good to go.
Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by tosinhtml: 4:20am On Dec 20, 2021
ezehisaac:
I studied Software Engineering with one of the best private universities in Asia and I can authoritatively tell you that 4 years of active studies are not enough to be a good programmer.

Within this period, I was exposed to C, C++, C#, Java, Php, SQL, Wordpress, Android, iOS, Graphic design, Multimedia content development.

During my finals, my rector told me that he has a gift for me for being a 1st class graduating student.

Guess what the gift was. He told me to go and study frameworks like VueJs, Laravel and slack.

He said with these 3 frameworks, my future is secure.

I'm yet to study any of them because I'm busy with side projects coming up every now and then, though small and engaging as an Intermediary Software Engineer.

To create my own path, I picked SQL and Software Designs.
I believe with these two, my dreams of developing robust algorithms for my dream software will surely be achieved.

It's taking you 4 years because they have decided to teach you a lot that you won't probably need to use when you get hired abroad, you will most likely be hired to do one thing & use one programming language for the specific work you were hired to do.

--- C, C++, C#, Java, Php, SQL, Wordpress, Android, iOS, Graphic design, Multimedia content development.

In every thing you listed here, you are going to be hired for only one of them, Just one.

Even though your professor told you to study both VueJs, Laravel. You will also use just one of them eventually. It's either you become a VueJs Frontend Developer or Laravel Full Stack Developer. You will choose one.
Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by jesmond3945: 5:58pm On Dec 20, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Bros forget that job post. Most of the people who are even bidding do not know anything about Magento. They just feel it's drag and drop and should be easy like WordPress. Besides web flow is even drag and drop. Go and Upwork and tell me how many Magento developer jobs have more than ten applicants. You can even go on LinkedIn and show the same thing to me. Magento is very complex. Besides many Magento jobs asks for developers to be Magento certified which is a kind of hard exam to pass. How many people have that? It's not as common as you think. Even when I first started job hunting I used to apply to things like oodle developer jobs without knowing how or what they do.

Programming isn't heaven and earth but it's honestly Better than the alternatives. Try looking for job as a mechanical engineer or any form of Engineering. Try looking for job as a teacher. In this Lagos, the max salary Is 50k which is even on the high end. That 50k is rejected by many programmers even guys just starting. How much do doctors even earn in this Lagos. Lasuth pays residents 200k. Consultant can start at 500k but a programmer can be making that 500k six, seven months into their learning o. Lawyers nko that earn max of 25000 in Lagos. Programming isn't heaven and earth o but when you compare it to the alternatives present, you will thank God.
make the sacrifice of learning to code, put God first, you would never be poor in life.

1 Like

Re: Programming Is just Like Playing Football by Nobody: 10:20am On Dec 21, 2021
marshalcarter:

Hello sir... Good morning... please I'd like to ask a few questions cos all these things I'm seeing eeeeeeh cry (I go just commot mind go do bricklayer work) must you be brilliant before you go into programming? I'm a beginner like i wanna go into programming and I wanna learn how to build two things which I'm certain (Forum and website) what programming language should i learn?? and finally can you teach someone especially a beginner? sorry for the headache sir....thank you sir

hahahahah, no kill me with laugh abeg.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wht Is CSS Very Complicating...!!!!!!!!!! / 10 Years Anniversary Of Nairalander Programmer / Can I Learn Programming With My Smartphone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.