Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,178 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:14 AM

1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? (374 Views)

ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike, Plans Increased Media Engagement / Mass Communication Or Business Administration / Ibu Faith Graduates With Distinction In MSc From University Of Bedfordshire, UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by PhilipReigns(m): 2:31pm On Apr 18, 2021
Please nairalanders, if u were in my shoes right now. What would u do? I have certain amount of money, not below 1m. My parents re saying I should go and do my masters, but on the other hand I wanted to invest d money in business. Am confused.

My fears are:
1. After msc, what if I still can't find a job that befits a master's degree holder?

2. Getting a lecturing job after msc requires a PhD grade. In the event that I can't get a PhD grade cos of family expenses and distractions (am married with two kids), will I still be able to secure a lecturing job, or be advised to go for M. Phil before PhD, I can't imagine such time wastage.

3 I'm 27, at what age after msc will I really get a good job, or will it still boils down to business after msc when a good job isn't forthcoming, by then will I still have another 1 million capital to start a business with, considering how difficult is it to get money these days?

4. Two years after nysc, it's been from one menial job and business engagements to the other, no relevant job experience, having an msc without a good job experience, which dimension will that lead me to after acquiring it?

Bsc.Microbiology.
Prospective msc= still Microbiology
Your response will be appreciated!
Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by TuborTee143: 2:43pm On Apr 18, 2021
Bro, in my opinion I would advise you start up a business (a lucrative one).
There is no guarantee you will secure a good job after graduation however when you business is a bit stable you can opt for your MSc. For me, I regretted not using my MSc fees to buy bitcoin in 2019 lol (on a light note bro)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by PhilipReigns(m): 3:09pm On Apr 18, 2021
TuborTee143:
Bro, in my opinion I would advise you start up a business (a lucrative one).
There is no guarantee you will secure a good job after graduation however when you business is a bit stable you can opt for your MSc. For me, I regretted not using my MSc fees to buy bitcoin in 2019 lol (on a light note bro)
Lol, thanks for your contribution bro.
Am glad to have you here.
You're just one person whose comments I need d most, hope you won't mind me asking few questions?
Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by Chimeluv(f): 3:41pm On Apr 18, 2021
Use the money for business, you can still do your Msc later.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by yomi007k(m): 3:52pm On Apr 18, 2021
I like the way you reason-logical and realistic.

The issue is that our parents still think it is Nigeria of the 70's.

However, plan the business properly. For even business is a risk-you may make profit or a loss.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Apr 18, 2021
Till today my neighbour still regrets using his life savings to run an msc program.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by Deasegun19(m): 7:21pm On Apr 18, 2021
brotherly, biz is the way ooo. Entrepreneurship na d new talk in town.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by PhilipReigns(m): 2:24pm On Apr 19, 2021
yomi007k:
I like the way you reason-logical and realistic.

The issue is that our parents still think it is Nigeria of the 70's.

However, plan the business properly. For even business is a risk-you may make profit or a loss.
Okay sir, I appreciate your response
Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by PhilipReigns(m): 2:25pm On Apr 19, 2021
Chimeluv:
Use the money for business, you can still do your Msc later.
Okay thanks alot
Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by PhilipReigns(m): 2:26pm On Apr 19, 2021
Nenyezz:
Till today my neighbour still regrets using his life savings to run an msc program.
Really, did he say exactly why he regrets it, how long ago did he acquire it?
Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Apr 20, 2021
PhilipReigns:

Really, did he say exactly why he regrets it, how long ago did he acquire it?
No decent job since then, said he would have rather used it for business or add some money to it and travel out

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by PhilipReigns(m): 6:28pm On Apr 20, 2021
Nenyezz:
No decent job since then, said he would have rather used it for business or add some money to it and travel out
Like since when exactly, I mean d year he got it?
Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Apr 20, 2021
PhilipReigns:

Like since when exactly, I mean d year he got it?
Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by PhilipReigns(m): 6:42pm On Apr 20, 2021
Nenyezz:
Okay, thanks for ur response.
All hope is not lost, I know a guy that got a lecturing job with his msc, 7 years after acquisition. He had been a secondary school teacher all d while.
Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by oshikes(m): 7:17pm On Apr 20, 2021
Was once in ur shoes bro, it really was difficult at the beginning choosing between doing masters and starting a business. God be praised, am about rounding up my apprenticeship on the sales of electrical materials ( Studied electrical engineering) and will be starting my business fully before the year runs out. To me oooo, business is cool. One can still run his or her master's later.

1 Like

Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by PhilipReigns(m): 7:03am On Apr 21, 2021
oshikes:
Was once in ur shoes bro, it really was difficult at the beginning choosing between doing masters and starting a business. God be praised, am about rounding up my apprenticeship on the sales of electrical materials ( Studied electrical engineering) and will be starting my business fully before the year runs out. To me oooo, business is cool. One can still run his or her master's later.
Abi o
Thanks for ur contribution
Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by PhilipReigns(m): 7:07am On Apr 21, 2021
oshikes:
I was also advice to get a skill and invest In it. Like phones repair and technology, and then open a phone shop where I can sell phones as well as repair them. Do u know any other lucrative skill besides this, and how long was ur agreement with ur master over d expected duration of your electrical sales apprenticeship?
Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by oshikes(m): 11:11am On Apr 22, 2021
PhilipReigns:

I was also advice to get a skill and invest In it. Like phones repair and technology, and then open a phone shop where I can sell phones as well as repair them. Do u know any other lucrative skill besides this, and how long was ur agreement with ur master over d expected duration of your electrical sales apprenticeship?
. Phone repairs and sales of phone accessories is also a lucrative business. Such business will require that u know how to fix phones very well, this will definately attract people to u. So I had advice u dedicate ur time in learning the repairs both online (YouTube materials) and offline ( from an experienced person).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by PhilipReigns(m): 11:38am On Apr 22, 2021
oshikes:
. Phone repairs and sales of phone accessories is also a lucrative business. Such business will require that u know how to fix phones very well, this will definately attract people to u. So I had advice u dedicate ur time in learning the repairs both online (YouTube materials) and offline ( from an experienced person).
Yes that's what I intend to do, thanks alot
Re: 1 Million Capital: Msc Acquisition Or Business Engagement? by oshikes(m): 11:55am On Apr 22, 2021
PhilipReigns:

Yes that's what I intend to do, thanks alot
ur welcome

(1) (Reply)

Factors Responsible For Student’s Dropout And Achievement / What To Do When You Don’t Feel Like Studying? / Study And Work Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.