Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,042 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Human Person And His Dignity. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Human Person And His Dignity. (445 Views)

Right To Dignity Of Human Person / Notion Of The Human Person In Kierkegaard Vis-à-vis African Individual / Critical Analysis Of Hegelian Idealism And Its Implications For Human Person (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Human Person And His Dignity. by philoedu(m): 7:51pm On Apr 18, 2021
As a student of philosophy, l could not hold back not writing about -human Person and his Dignity, putting in context, the way we come to view human beings, in this part of the world. As it were, we have "Essence and Existence" (esse) whichp are the intrinsic constitutive principles of a real being.
Indeed, Essence is basically a potential principle that come to be actualize by Existence or esse. The same is true that, it is the Essence that make a thing what it is, and it is the principle of determination and limitation.
But Essence is individuated in the reality and is universal in the mind, it is because of this that is often misunderstood with other universal concepts.Therefore, Essence come to tell us what a thing is and what it can become and what it ought to be, and it has a concrete content with natural tendencies and dynamic in principle, as principle of operation.
As principle of operation, through reason and will the spirituality of man became actualized through which he come to the realization of himself.But through the activities, reason and will, the psychological and moral personality come to take shape.
Following the philosophy of g Aristotle, in the soul of "Man" the spirit is the " substantial form" of the body which animate the body as it make it move and act. The same is true that, it is the principle of life and activity of the human being.
The soul of man, as substantial form, aside from the spiritual powers or faculties, are intrinsically dependent on matter or body, which is the sensory faculties. But all the faculties of human soul work to perfect human being as it contribute to the very development of human person.
The same is true, that because of the constitution of the human person is composed of material and spiritual, this make human person a unique entity from all other entities.
Due to this uniqueness from other entities, human being, or man is considered object because of his nature, and also subject. But as subject, he is an entity that exist and act in a unique way, which exist also as object, but objective somebody,set apart from all other entities in the world which are object only of something, according to, Karo Wojtyla, _ in his " Love and Responsibility".
The same is true that, it is not enough to define man as individual of the specie of homo, because the very term"Person" has being coined to signify that man cannot be contained only with the concept of individual, due to the very fact that, there is more to man in his uniqueness. The same is true,that there is more to man in his richness in the perfection of his being brought out by the use of the term-"Person".
The most obvious and basic of this fact, can be found in his ability to reason compared to other entities of the world .In fact, man is the only rational being differentiated from all other objective entities, in his distinctive character as a person and distinguished from the most advance animal due to his inner specific- self, characterized only of person with dignity.
Indeed, it is only man, whose cognition and desire is stamped with spiritual character, basic of a genuine inner life, due to his spiritual life as the basis of his rationality distinct from all other entities in the world.
Re: Human Person And His Dignity. by HRHQueenPhil(f): 7:54pm On Apr 18, 2021
Long epistles..cool write up
Re: Human Person And His Dignity. by HealerH: 9:47pm On Apr 18, 2021
Here they come again.
Reading your text, I feel a theologian must be the author. What I mean is that your anthropology is too dogmatic to be discussed with critical reasoning. Yet you claim to be doing philosophy.

1. What is a "person?" Men invented that.
2. What is a "human being?" Men too invented it.
3. What is "dignity?" One nonsense men invented because they believe they are "superior" to other beings.

You talked about "essence". If your philosophy is truthful, you'll accept with me that "essence" is eternal in Things. Irrespective of the culture, the race, the era, etc, the essence of a being remains the same. This was what made men to abolish slavery because they believed by essence, all men are equal.
But that's myopic. Else you'll be humble enough to accept that all animals are equal (And that's actually the truth. All animals are equal. Man did the inequality differentiation).
500,000 years ago men lived. They were no different from the apes of our age. If you affirm that all men are equal, irrespective of their era and culture, you're equally affirming that apes are equal to us (and hence if our ancestors who lived many thousand years ago have "dignity", then modern day apes have dignity too) . And I can prove to you that this is true. All animals are equal and have the same level of dignity.

Tell me anything "essential" in you that can not be found in other animals. By essential, I mean natural. Something you were born with.
Myopic philosophers would claim "reason" is natural to man and can't be found in animals. But y'all know that is a big lie. The human reason is acquired. It is never natural. No baby has been born and knows right from birth that 1 + 1 = 2. We all learnt it.
And if you bring in a dogmatic defence to claim the baby has reason right from birth but needs experience before using it, I'll tell you that the baby can never make use of reason without being taught to do so. If you dump the baby in a bush and it grows into an adult, it'll live unreasonably like apes. The reason why we make use of reason is because we live in "societies" and are thought to use it. And whatever you're taught to use is not natural to you. It is acquired.

First World countries are finally discovering this truth: that man is not the possessor of the planet and that other animals are equal to man in being and essence. That is why they invent laws to protect other animals just like they protect men. They even send men to prison for maltreatment of other animals. If you manhandle someone and the law sends you to prison for your action, isn't it because the person you manhandled has a "self-value" and hence a self dignity?

So you see? I accept that humans exist and that they have dignity only in the sense that these humans are "unknown". That is to say, no one can point to something and say "only this and his species are humans". Any thing that possesses my natural attributes is a human being to me. If you like name them chimpanzees, dog, goat, man. I don't care about the name. I care about the essence.
Re: Human Person And His Dignity. by philoedu(m): 5:43pm On May 03, 2021
In spite of what l may call anormally, man has value different from animal. Unfortunately, it is all as a result of man inhumanity to man rooted in an intinct of domination.

(1) (Reply)

Unilag Postgraduate 2021/2022 Information Thread / The Effect Of Poor Teaching Method On Students Academic Performance / Students Of NDU Protest Over Fee Portal Closure & Wearing Of Uniforms(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.