Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,435 members, 7,812,297 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:20 AM

Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation (2137 Views)

Canadian Judge Grants Man Asylum Reliefs After Claiming Tinubu Tried To Kill Him / SWAGA Mocks Peter Obi, Labels Him Presidential Candidate Of Social Media Party / Canadian Judge Deems Nigerian Police Criminal Org, Denies Ex-sars Officer Asylum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by sunnybobonwa: 5:02am On Apr 19, 2021
Canadian judge labels Nigerian police criminal organisation, denies ex-SARS officer asylum

A Canadian Judge has denied asylum to ex-member of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad due to his association with the brutal unit and the Nigeria Police Force as a whole.

In October 2020, SARS was scrapped after a nationwide protest against its decades of harassment, intimidation, extortion, robbery and extrajudicial killing of more than 100,000 citizens.

Court document said the cancellation of the dangerous squad was not enough for Judge Sébastien Grammond to favourably consider Olushola Popoola’s request for asylum.

Mr Grammond arrived at the decision on April 8 after Mr. Popoola asked for a judicial review of the decision of the Canadian immigration department, which had earlier declared him inadmissible into the country because of his association with the Nigeria Police Force.

Grammond ruled: “I am dismissing his application because the decision-maker reasonably assessed the relevant factors for deciding whether Mr Popoola made a knowing and significant contribution to the crimes committed by the Nigerian Police Force.”

The court gathered that Popoola served as a police officer between 2002 and 2015 when he left the force to leave Nigeria for United States. He crossed into Canada from the U.S. where he has been seeking asylum in a bid to settle permanently.

Popoola argued that he did not partake in brutal violence and other forms of criminality that SARS carried out in the course of his service, and added that he should be considered as a civil ex-officer due to his voluntary exit from the force.

But Mr Grammond disclosed that Popoola could reasonably be assumed to know about the murderous and exploitative activities of SARS, even if he did not participate personally.

The Judge ruled: “Since Mr. Popoola reasonably knew that when he was a member of the SARS the suspects he handed over to the criminal investigation department would be subject to human rights violations.

“The tribunal finds this to be a significant contribution to the criminal purpose of the organisation since he had the knowledge of what could befall the individual subject to investigation.”

14 Likes

Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by maxell(f): 5:07am On Apr 19, 2021
I applaud the Judge. Nigerians should take note - the world is keeping track of what’s going on in this country
and would make people pay for their misdeeds. More news of this nature is yet to come.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by Tigaromil: 5:13am On Apr 19, 2021
Our government does not care.
Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by Mokason288(m): 5:14am On Apr 19, 2021
Tigaromil:
Our government does not care.
Buhari does not care

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by Mysticwebb: 5:17am On Apr 19, 2021
They destroyed this country, steal, kill and want to use the stollen money to run to another country to enjoy what others worked for and preserved for their citizens.

11 Likes

Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by Bossil(m): 5:20am On Apr 19, 2021
The Judge ruled: “Since Mr. Popoola reasonably knew that when he was a member of the SARS the suspects he handed over to the criminal investigation department would be subject to human rights violations.
Nothing but the truth.

12 Likes

Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by bmdmix3: 5:24am On Apr 19, 2021
plz jail him too for being an ex force, rubbish

6 Likes

Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by MRSALT: 5:26am On Apr 19, 2021
Op, Could you please put up the source.
Thanks
Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by Bossil(m): 5:31am On Apr 19, 2021
Lol the judge is not smiling.
Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by cenaman(m): 5:32am On Apr 19, 2021
He is not far from the truth.
Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by ContentedK: 5:34am On Apr 19, 2021
MRSALT:
Op, Could you please put up the source.
Thanks
dey dey find source, you go still find sauce, ewu gambia

4 Likes

Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by Oxb90: 5:35am On Apr 19, 2021
Civilised judge.
Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by orikoku: 5:37am On Apr 19, 2021
They have successfully dent Nigeria image abroad.
Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by psucc(m): 5:40am On Apr 19, 2021
The Nigerian Embassy at Canada should help me give the Judge one bottle of Orijin while they debit my account with CBN

12 Likes

Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by Nobody: 5:43am On Apr 19, 2021
God bless judge Grammond.

6 Likes

Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by Comedian2019: 7:01am On Apr 19, 2021
psucc:
The Nigerian Embassy at Canada should help me give the Judge one bottle of Orijin while they debit my account with CBN
One more bottle for the judge from my side.

6 Likes

Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by StaffofOrayan(m): 7:06am On Apr 19, 2021
I know some sufferhead Nigerians are fuming

5 Likes

Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by johnmartus(m): 7:17am On Apr 19, 2021
This is not a lie I commend the bravery judge.
Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by Beremx(f): 7:33am On Apr 19, 2021
DJ Switch right now....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by omenka(m): 7:36am On Apr 19, 2021
Yeah, time for Igbos and their extended family members to like the crouch of a septuageneric white man.

What a shame.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by Coldie(m): 7:41am On Apr 19, 2021
As long as you keep behaving like a criminal organization times without number with proofs, you shouldn't be surprised at the outcome.

Engage in armed robbery, extortion, kidnapping, rape etc.

These people once kidnapped me on my way home took me on their vehicle and was demanding I bail myself or they would put me inside a cell for no reason. Is that not kidnapping?

Once arrested me for an offense that I didn't commit that was later clarified ok since it has been clarified let me go thru say if I no bail myself I never ready go house, is that not extortion?

Ok finally I got into an issue instead of me to clarify it via street with just squadron I say mk I go police, only to write case they said I should bring 10k.

Irresponsible criminal wicked organization

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by NigeriaIsDoomed: 7:45am On Apr 19, 2021
wretched Buhari's miscreants and pigs will not like this.
Nigeria is a criminal establishment that should be dismantled for the sake of humanity.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by Rodwave: 8:06am On Apr 19, 2021
We have been saying it here but the foolish 30k zombie miscreants want us to keep quiet.

God bless the Canadian judge.

Nigerian police is a criminal organisation filled with lowlife bastards and thieves.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by Faber(m): 9:39am On Apr 19, 2021
Nigerian Police force founded on April 1st...all fools day.

How can they escape being foolhardy. The worst cops in the world are found in Nigeria.
Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by kabillionaire(m): 10:04am On Apr 19, 2021
Send him back to Nigeria, he is a national threat to your country.

He can't help kill innocent Nigerian citizens and ran away just like that.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by Racoon(m): 10:15am On Apr 19, 2021
Hope Lai Mohammed is seeing this development? The policeman after causing so much human rights abuses and destroying lives now wants to flee to a sane country to live good life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by vedaxcool(m): 3:38am On Jun 21, 2021
Racoon:
Hope Lai Mohammed is seeing this development? The policeman after causing so much human rights abuses and destroying lives now wants to flee to a sane country to live good life.

Sometimes shame should be a part of a part your lexicon. Akwuzu SARS in 2014 murdered many Igbo youths in Anambra who were suspected of being Biafra agitators. This one to many human right violations under your beloved PDP. It is under the current administration that SARS official are being prosecuted and have been disbanded.
Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by Atiwaye: 4:35am On Jun 21, 2021
This is not far from truths.
Re: Canadian Judge Labels Nigerian Police Criminal Organisation by ZUBY77(m): 5:12am On Jun 21, 2021
He is 100 percent right.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Might Break Up After 2023 — Obasanjo / New Colourful Pictures Of Peter Obi, Datti-baba Ahmed And Emir Of Kano / Peter Odili - Calluously Ostentatious

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.