Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,405 members, 7,830,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

Insecurity: Nigeria Under Siege By Non-state Actors – Senate Warns - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Insecurity: Nigeria Under Siege By Non-state Actors – Senate Warns (299 Views)

Onnoghen Residence Under Siege By Security / Senate Warns Police: Vacate Akwa Ibom House of Assembly or risk 6-month sentence / Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly Under Siege By SARS (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Insecurity: Nigeria Under Siege By Non-state Actors – Senate Warns by NwaNimo1(m): 7:48pm On Apr 19, 2021
The Senate has declared the nation is under siege from murderous non-state actors whose activities are threatening the existence of the nation.

The position of the upper legislative chamber is further corroborated by the United Nations which revealed that 70% of illegal arms in West Africa are domiciled in Nigeria.

The United Nations Regional Centre for Peace and Disarmament in Africa (UNREC), revealed that out of 500 million illegal weapons circulating in West Africa, 350 million, which represents 70%, are in the hands of criminally minded people in Nigeria.

Making the frightening submissions at the public hearing organised by the Senate Joint Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters, Senator Uba Sani representing the Kaduna Central Senatorial district said the country needs to urgently address the worrisome situation.

The public hearing was on the proposed amendment of the Navy and Marine Transport on Firearms Act 2004 and the amendment of the 2021 and Exclusive Economic Zones Act 2010 (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill 2021.

Uba Sani who is the sponsor of the Firearms (Amendment) Bill lamented that the proliferation of illegal arms and ammunition in the country with little or no control by relevant authorities has posed complications for the collective survival of Nigerians and Nigeria.

He said: “We are gathered here to deal with a matter that has profound implications for our collective survival.

“We are under siege from murderous non-state actors.

“They have been acquiring arms illegally, maiming our people and threatening the continued existence of our dear nation.

“We either take measures to deny them of the oxygen that sustains their nefarious activities, or we watch helplessly as they overrun us and our country.

Earlier in his opening remarks, the Chairman of the Joint Committee, Senator Micheal Opeyemi Bamidele, said the purpose of the two bills was to further strengthen our extant laws against illegal firearms possession and proliferation as well as making provisions of the Act on Exclusive Economic Zone to be in line with global practices as far as protection of the nation’s territorial sea or waters is concerned.

https://dailypost.ng/2021/04/19/insecurity-nigeria-under-siege-by-non-state-actors-senate-warns/
Re: Insecurity: Nigeria Under Siege By Non-state Actors – Senate Warns by Mayng01(m): 8:09pm On Apr 19, 2021
As long as you all keep supporting bubu, there can never be a way out. All of una eye go soon clear, just a matter of time
Re: Insecurity: Nigeria Under Siege By Non-state Actors – Senate Warns by obama30: 8:13pm On Apr 19, 2021
NwaNimo1:
The Senate has declared the nation is under siege from murderous non-state actors whose activities are threatening the existence of the nation.

The position of the upper legislative chamber is further corroborated by the United Nations which revealed that 70% of illegal arms in West Africa are domiciled in Nigeria.

The United Nations Regional Centre for Peace and Disarmament in Africa (UNREC), revealed that out of 500 million illegal weapons circulating in West Africa, 350 million, which represents 70%, are in the hands of criminally minded people in Nigeria.

Making the frightening submissions at the public hearing organised by the Senate Joint Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters, Senator Uba Sani representing the Kaduna Central Senatorial district said the country needs to urgently address the worrisome situation.

The public hearing was on the proposed amendment of the Navy and Marine Transport on Firearms Act 2004 and the amendment of the 2021 and Exclusive Economic Zones Act 2010 (Repeal and Re-Enactment) Bill 2021.

Uba Sani who is the sponsor of the Firearms (Amendment) Bill lamented that the proliferation of illegal arms and ammunition in the country with little or no control by relevant authorities has posed complications for the collective survival of Nigerians and Nigeria.

He said: “We are gathered here to deal with a matter that has profound implications for our collective survival.

“We are under siege from murderous non-state actors.

“They have been acquiring arms illegally, maiming our people and threatening the continued existence of our dear nation.

“We either take measures to deny them of the oxygen that sustains their nefarious activities, or we watch helplessly as they overrun us and our country.

Earlier in his opening remarks, the Chairman of the Joint Committee, Senator Micheal Opeyemi Bamidele, said the purpose of the two bills was to further strengthen our extant laws against illegal firearms possession and proliferation as well as making provisions of the Act on Exclusive Economic Zone to be in line with global practices as far as protection of the nation’s territorial s ea or waters is concerned.

https://dailypost.ng/2021/04/19/insecurity-nigeria-under-siege-by-non-state-actors-senate-warns/

The most foolish and wicked administrators on earth.

You free terrorists with good packages and rewards the other terrorists you title bandits.

Your Bauchi Governor said some weeks ago that Fulani's are eligible to acquire A-K47 and any ammunition they can afford.

A senator was once sponsored for amnesty to terrorists which cause problems with them and Ekweremadu.

You appoint a terrorists as a ministers.

With all this yet this administrators don't know the people that trooping in to Nigeria with arms.

You closed all boarders and keep telling Nigerians that northern boarder is out of control.

You tell Nigerians that reason you give federal jobs to your kinsmen is for best performance and sincerely.

So how come that the government can't secure Nigerians.

Buhari please step down

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Nigeria Under Siege By Non-state Actors – Senate Warns by NwaNimo1(m): 8:14pm On Apr 19, 2021
Re: Insecurity: Nigeria Under Siege By Non-state Actors – Senate Warns by complexBoss12: 8:16pm On Apr 19, 2021
Feels good to be back after a long ban.
I want to use this opportunity to make a point. I know this is someone's forum (space and sweat). I tried to post some of my goods and got a ban, which is fair.

This is one of the biggest online platforms I know, I checked your advert rates and they are more than I can afford for now, that's why I posted illegally. I am sorry for that, just trying to survive. To the mode that banned me, I understand.

To the topic; let's learn to take responsibility in this country, shifting blames helps no one. Fix the breakdown, not the blame.
Re: Insecurity: Nigeria Under Siege By Non-state Actors – Senate Warns by johnmartus(m): 8:17pm On Apr 19, 2021
When the railway from kastina to niger republic finally constructed Nigeria will now face the real insecurity.
Re: Insecurity: Nigeria Under Siege By Non-state Actors – Senate Warns by bosco2017: 8:46pm On Apr 19, 2021
People are gradually taking what belongs to them. You can call it whatever name non state actors or what, they are telling us the truth and meant well for the people. We follow non state actors . Nigeria is irredeemable and politicians have failed
Re: Insecurity: Nigeria Under Siege By Non-state Actors – Senate Warns by Nbotee(m): 9:02pm On Apr 19, 2021
Abeg na State Actors dey behind all the Unknown Gunmen and other chaos in the land.. Most of the people in the present day govt are criminals jare

(1) (Reply)

Oodua Nation: Alfa And Yoruba Muslims Give Support To Igboho and Yoruba Nation / Mbaka: We Won't Allow "Unsavoury Statements" Destabilise Nigeria, Buhari's Gover / El-rufai: Jonathan, Yar’adua Persecuted Me Because They Saw Me As A Threat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.