Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,689 members, 7,831,133 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

Is Tough Parenting Really The Answer? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Tough Parenting Really The Answer? (1765 Views)

Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting / This Is A Tough One: Will You Forgive Your Kids If They Tried To Kill You? / Is Childbirth Really The Most Painful Thing Or Is It Exaggerated? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Tough Parenting Really The Answer? by Nekai(f): 12:10am On Apr 21, 2011
The author of the book 'Tiger Mom' is a U.S. born Chinese-American who is struggling to raise her children like her strict parents raised her. She has recieved a whole lot of public criticism for her tough parenting methods. I haven't read the book yet, but growing up with tough parents myself I can kind of relate to her methods. It's more of a memoir than a parenting guide, but many people in the U.S. are outraged at her methods she uses with her children.

Is tough parenting the answer? I know there are children of strict households that go astray and there are children who grew up with laid back parents that gave their children 'privacy', and 'freedom', and these children still ended up successful. I think I'd rather go the strict route myself.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2043313-1,00.html#ixzz1K6hQclnW
Re: Is Tough Parenting Really The Answer? by Sissy3(f): 12:38am On Apr 21, 2011
I'd rather strive for balance. I prefer authoritative parenting to authoritarian parenting. With authoritative parenting, your chances of raising a well rounded and well balanced kids both socially and academically is high. unlike, authoritarian parenting. yes, with authoritarian you might get a well rounded academically sound child but at what cost to their social, and personal development?

While i do agree that there are equally important things we can learn from Amy's parenting skills, i feel that in some instances she did over do it. i do think however, that it is a bit early/premature to be over-glorifying yourself and your parenting skills when your kids are barely out of high school. they still have many years ahead of them to prove how [i]really [/i]good you raised them and certainly, things can change.

yes, her daughter sohpia got accepted into havard and yale which she might/will attribute to her "tough" parenting, however, there are many ivy league students/graduates who, while they didnt goof around, still enjoyed reasonable personal freedoms and still achieved big.

as the saying goes in parenting, do whatever works for you.
Re: Is Tough Parenting Really The Answer? by Nekai(f): 1:32am On Apr 21, 2011
~Sissy~:

I'd rather strive for balance. I prefer authoritative parenting to authoritarian parenting. With authoritative parenting, your chances of raising a well rounded and well balanced kids both socially and academically is high. unlike, authoritarian parenting. yes, with authoritarian you might get a well rounded academically sound child but at what cost to their social, and personal development?

While i do agree that there are equally important things we can learn from Amy's parenting skills, i feel that in some instances she did over do it. i do think however, that it is a bit early/premature to be over-glorifying yourself and your parenting skills when your kids are barely out of high school. they still have many years ahead of them to prove how [i]really [/i]good you raised them and certainly, things can change.

yes, her daughter sohpia got accepted into havard and yale which she might/will attribute to her "tough" parenting, however, there are many ivy league students/graduates who, while they didnt goof around, still enjoyed reasonable personal freedoms and still achieved big.

as the saying goes in parenting, do whatever works for you.

That's so true! Some children grow up high academic achievers and end up 'book smart' but are unprepared for the real world. undecided Also, like you said her kids have years to go before they prove their overall success.
I googled authoritative parenting and got this website, http://www.extension.umn.edu/specializations/familydevelopment/authpar.html. It seems that a balance is really very necessary.
Re: Is Tough Parenting Really The Answer? by Blazay(m): 2:50am On Apr 21, 2011
Yes, when done with love.
No, when done with frustration and bi-polar disease manifestations.

Some children need tough parenting. . . others don't.
Each child is different.
One size does not fit all. kiss
Re: Is Tough Parenting Really The Answer? by horny4u(f): 12:31am On Apr 22, 2011
I believe in treatling kids like adults asking them open ended questions and getting to know them truly. Showing them wrong and right and letting it be their decision, applying praise when they take the right decision and pointing out the error when they take the wrong decision. Practically teaching self dependence, peer control, determination and other great values but I believe kids must live their life with parents guidance and prayers. Their life is a gift to them I will not want to control it.
Re: Is Tough Parenting Really The Answer? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Apr 22, 2011
Its not and will never be.
Re: Is Tough Parenting Really The Answer? by MissIfe(f): 6:33pm On Apr 22, 2011
I do not believe in tough parenting. But reading previous answers I realize that our parenting style depends a lot on what we consider a successful child/adult/life. I, for one, do not think that high academic results are of much importance, or at least that they are not of [i]first [/i]importance. I hope to make my kids happy, well balanced, peaceful and loving individuals. I hope that they'd find a professionnal activity that fulfills them and that they won't be scared or taken down by life's challenges.

I also have faith in them being good individuals and treat them with respect, love, and with the limits necessary to any social life. I want them to know themselves, their likes/dislikes, their feelings, their dreams and to take decisions accordingly.

I see so many adults around me who are "successful" in terms of career, money, or other society standards but who actually feel miserable deep down. Conjugal violence, marriage problems, alcohol problems, constant stress, fear, family pressure, I also met so many "successful" older people who told me that, really, they'd rather have followed a more humble but more fulfilling path.
Re: Is Tough Parenting Really The Answer? by Nekai(f): 8:43am On Apr 23, 2011
Miss_Ife:

I see so many adults around me who are "successful" in terms of career, money, or other society standards but who actually feel miserable deep down. Conjugal violence, marriage problems, alcohol problems, constant stress, fear, family pressure, I also met so many "successful" older people who told me that, really, they'd rather have followed a more humble but more fulfilling path.

Great point!
Re: Is Tough Parenting Really The Answer? by Ilelobola: 9:42am On Apr 23, 2011
Blazay:

Yes, when done with love.
No, when done with frustration and bi-polar disease manifestations.

Some children need tough parenting. . . others don't.
Each child is different.
One size does not fit all. kiss

Well said.
Re: Is Tough Parenting Really The Answer? by iice(f): 4:48am On Apr 26, 2011
Loved reading the Tiger mom's approach.
She raised some good points but overall doesn't work for everyone.

Tough, i suppose differs. undecided
Re: Is Tough Parenting Really The Answer? by kandiikane(m): 6:22pm On May 12, 2011
It was used on me and it worked but I think I will find a balance with my own children.

(1) (Reply)

Heart Breakin Story / UR Childhood Dream / How To Explain Sex 2 Your Children!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.