Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,728 members, 7,805,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:51 AM

The Travails Of Junior Developers - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / The Travails Of Junior Developers (9110 Views)

Comprehensive Research Of Junior Jobs Across The World Within The Last 2 Months / For Developers Especially Beginners And Junior Developers. / Why So Many Junior Developers Struggle To Get An Opportunity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by betcoin10: 1:04pm On Apr 22, 2021
Are you Lossing alot in betting? Get this VIP sure betting app with 80% daily winning... Check my signature and WhatsApp me if you're interested. App is affordable and Price is negotiable...
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by MansoryMX(m): 1:09pm On Apr 22, 2021
lukuboi:
I quickly booked space thinking that I have something tangible to contribute.

The topic is not for me @ all.

We plenty. All we know is Street, aza and slips

Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by Vivien458(f): 1:09pm On Apr 22, 2021
Interesting. I know java, but just not the main knowledge I guess, and I have always hated maths in school. I started loving visuals. I use them to code on after effects from motion graphics. Mostly just values. Number values, string values,Boolean and array values. Not a developer but maybe I may try.
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by mruwaifo(m): 1:13pm On Apr 22, 2021
As an experienced developer, and yes I live off working on upwork, I find that the first issue is communication. The way most junior developers propose for jobs is almost insulting. They dont even take the time to read the job properly and all the talk about is their irrelevant pet projects . No one will give you money to copy and paste your tutorials on projects that should cater for millions of users .
Secondly dont limit your concern to only your interest. As a core backend developer I have had to jump on the front end several times when the need arises .
Lastly build your niche experience in a specific domain. You cant tell me you are a web developer, internet marketer, graphic designer , copy writer and devops engineer. It wont work.

2 Likes

Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by bukxy: 2:19pm On Apr 22, 2021
i just need a laptop abeg
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by Nobody: 2:22pm On Apr 22, 2021
FiverrTutor:

Oga why not switch to data science instead. I know the kind of jobs I have gotten which I couldn't take due to my location and other stuff. I started as a web developer but later switched to data analysis.
I actually started with that in mind by learning Python but switched because from the advice I got here web dev jobs are more than data science jobs
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by lukuboi(m): 2:22pm On Apr 22, 2021
MansoryMX:

We plenty. All we know is Street, aza and slips
Your head de dia
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by Nobody: 2:24pm On Apr 22, 2021
Lalami3232:
My guy, you're not yet a junior developer atall. You're still an Intern in the field. I used 3yrs in learning Java and that really helped me alot cus with that idea of OOP, i was able to learn Python in 3 weeks. My advice for you is go for Django and React, then thank me later.
I'm already learning react though I want to major in php for backend
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by Nobody: 2:27pm On Apr 22, 2021
mruwaifo:
As an experienced developer, and yes I live off working on upwork, I find that the first issue is communication. The way most junior developers propose for jobs is almost insulting. They dont even take the time to read the job properly and all the talk about is their irrelevant pet projects . No one will give you money to copy and paste your tutorials on projects that should cater for millions of users .
Secondly dont limit your concern to only your interest. As a core backend developer I have had to jump on the front end several times when the need arises .
Lastly build your niche experience in a specific domain. You cant tell me you are a web developer, internet marketer, graphic designer , copy writer and devops engineer. It wont work.

I plan on niching down to WordPress after react, I hope its lucrative?
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by Pedyson: 2:30pm On Apr 22, 2021
As a begginer, how do I get started?
Which program should I start with.
Where do I start from?
Onahi95:
So we are done with the traditional HTML, CSS, JavaScript bla bla so what next.
I think this is the hardest stage in the web dev field, I might be wrong though.

I have spent some months learning frontend web development and after completing some pet projects I felt it was time to earn some cash while I still upgrade my skills. But reality swept me off my feet when I dived into some job sites, the requirements for junior web developers was astounding, it seemed I've spent the past months learning just 10% of what is needed for the field.

First I got bounced from upwork(twice) it seems to even register on that platform ma na another programming language, obviously my niche seem saturated coupled with my apparent lack of experience .
Secondly I observed there's more backend and fullstack jobs than frontend jobs and the listings for junior developers are really scarce and few in between .

After feeling frustrated I had to abandon my job search and try adding to my skill set by learning react.
There seems to be so much to learn ranging from automation, APIs, even git cos most job listings requires version control as an important skill. I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed and wondering if I can be able to pull this off.

Please seniors how were you able to land your first job? I stay in a local place and the small business around can barely afford to pay light bills talk more of paying for a website, I'm also not that socially connected. How do I get the all so important experience needed for this field?

After react I plan on moving to php, then laravel before niching down to WordPress development but before then I need to earn to get new courses and pay bills because I know I might spend the rest of the year mastering those skills. Na person wey chop bellefull dey code. My learning has taken a hit because I can't even afford data to access the internet for a while now.

I know I'm not the only one in this situation, seniors please guide us......make una cut soap for us abeg.

tensazangetsu20
pcguru
Karleb
olalekank

Modified: My portfolio website : https://simeonogewebsite. web. app
pls eliminate the white spaces
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by Karleb(m): 2:33pm On Apr 22, 2021
qtguru:
My advice is always to build something easier to prove to a client. I create a Github of every idea i have and work on it and also learn how to put yourself out there. It is not easy at first but all the best.

@tensazangetsu20 @karleb

Let's do a weekly meeting I feel this will help out. I get busy but I want to make time for this.

There's this new feature on twitter called Twitter space. I believe it will be awesome for this kind of meeting. It's audio live streaming.

What do you think?
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by Celsony: 2:36pm On Apr 22, 2021
FiverrTutor:

Oga why not switch to data science instead. I know the kind of jobs I have gotten which I couldn't take due to my location and other stuff. I started as a web developer but later switched to data analysis.

I want to learn data analysis sir, what do I need?
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by Nobody: 2:36pm On Apr 22, 2021
Pedyson:
As a begginer, how do I get started?
Which program should I start with.
Where do I start from?
Bro it depends on the aspect of programming you want to delve into, there are many
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by qtguru(m): 2:37pm On Apr 22, 2021
Karleb:

There's this new feature on twitter called Twitter space. I believe it will be awesome for this kind of meeting. It's audio live streaming.

What do you think?

I am not ashamed to say this, but I really have no idea how to know if I have Twitter spaces, I know I can join but not sure how to host one. I am open to learning how to do such.
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by Karleb(m): 2:59pm On Apr 22, 2021
qtguru:

I am not ashamed to say this, but I really have no idea how to know if I have Twitter spaces, I know I can join but not sure how to host one. I am open to learning how to do such.

I made that comment only to find out creating a space isn't that straightforward.

Let me see if I can find way around it.
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by Fragility6: 3:02pm On Apr 22, 2021
FiverrTutor:

Why data analysis?
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by soliufiljannah(m): 3:34pm On Apr 22, 2021
Op js, html, and css are not enough.
Add php, along d line, you will learn jquery and how to use it with ajax. From there, try working on 2 personal projects. You can create an E-commerce website, just to critically implement what you have learnt, and boost your confidence.
Join digital marketers whatsapp groups, and other business whatsapp groups like dropping shipping. From there you will see someone who needs your service, and that will be your first job. Don't forget to learn bootstrap basics too.
You will face challenges on the road, but google, stackoverflow, and others will help you.

3 Likes

Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by Etinosa1234: 3:46pm On Apr 22, 2021
AntiAPC2023:
how far your level dey unto programming?

Manageable sha

i still be junior oo grin
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by BelieverDE: 3:48pm On Apr 22, 2021
FiverrTutor:

I began learning data analysis since the beginning of April 2020 and I feel like I wasted my time learning Advanced Microsoft Excel, Inferential Statistics and Power BI.

I've built some business intelligence dashboards but I feel like it's difficult to get jobs in this industry.

Please cut soap for me :-(
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by Etinosa1234: 3:56pm On Apr 22, 2021
mruwaifo:

sir, I have done a project... a real world own(link in my signature) but i havent gotten a job yet.... i have been applying since tho... i am presently working on another realworld project and after that, i plan to freelance

I am an android dev

can u guide me on breaking into upwork even as a junior?
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by greenalwaz: 4:11pm On Apr 22, 2021
FiverrTutor:

Please am a novice wen it comes to IT but have been hearing about ds data science and is like I wud love to learn it... can u kindly guide me through on where to get quality materials n which courses to register for .. thanks
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by NewAjala(m): 5:21pm On Apr 22, 2021
Is it really important doing a post graduate course on IT (someone with non IT background) for the sake of getting a rewarding job afterwards?
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by Karleb(m): 5:26pm On Apr 22, 2021
NewAjala:
Is it really important doing a post graduate course on IT (someone with non IT background) for the sake of getting a rewarding job afterwards?

Just hope they don't teach you Fortran and Matlab in place of JavaScript. grin
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by qtguru(m): 5:32pm On Apr 22, 2021
Etinosa1234:

sir, I have done a project... a real world own(link in my signature) but i havent gotten a job yet.... i have been applying since tho... i am presently working on another realworld project and after that, i plan to freelance

I am an android dev

can u guide me on breaking into upwork even as a junior?

Don't take this personal but I will advice you spend time in Android learning Fancy UI/UX and Custom Controls for Good Android UI, if you show client that work, chances are you will not find the jobs you are looking for. Go to Youtube and look for Custom UI Android tutorials. All the best
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by 30naira: 5:35pm On Apr 22, 2021
Onahi95:
So we are done with the traditional HTML, CSS, JavaScript bla bla so what next.
I think this is the hardest stage in the web dev field, I might be wrong though.

I have spent some months learning frontend web development and after completing some pet projects I felt it was time to earn some cash while I still upgrade my skills. But reality swept me off my feet when I dived into some job sites, the requirements for junior web developers was astounding, it seemed I've spent the past months learning just 10% of what is needed for the field.

First I got bounced from upwork(twice) it seems to even register on that platform ma na another programming language, obviously my niche seem saturated coupled with my apparent lack of experience .
Secondly I observed there's more backend and fullstack jobs than frontend jobs and the listings for junior developers are really scarce and few in between .

After feeling frustrated I had to abandon my job search and try adding to my skill set by learning react.
There seems to be so much to learn ranging from automation, APIs, even git cos most job listings requires version control as an important skill. I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed and wondering if I can be able to pull this off.

Please seniors how were you able to land your first job? I stay in a local place and the small business around can barely afford to pay light bills talk more of paying for a website, I'm also not that socially connected. How do I get the all so important experience needed for this field?

After react I plan on moving to php, then laravel before niching down to WordPress development but before then I need to earn to get new courses and pay bills because I know I might spend the rest of the year mastering those skills. Na person wey chop bellefull dey code. My learning has taken a hit because I can't even afford data to access the internet for a while now.

I know I'm not the only one in this situation, seniors please guide us......make una cut soap for us abeg.

tensazangetsu20
pcguru
Karleb
olalekank

Modified: My portfolio website : https://simeonogewebsite. web. app
pls eliminate the white spaces

Personally, I think PhP might be a bad idea. You could do more with python, and it is easier. You can branch into data science, machine learning etc
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by Karleb(m): 5:42pm On Apr 22, 2021
30naira:

Personally, I think PhP might be a bad idea. You could do more with python, and it is easier. You can branch into data science, machine learning etc

You people should stop saying python is easier. It's not easier.
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by Nobody: 5:44pm On Apr 22, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Honestly that depends on your job hunting skills, the portfolios you have et al. I got my first WordPress role the week I started learning PHP but I am a ferocious job hunter.

Please boss, I need the link to that job website...
Can you share
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:45pm On Apr 22, 2021
ayomikuolatunji:

Please boss, I need the link to that job website...
Can you share
You already know them indeed and LinkedIn.
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by NewAjala(m): 5:48pm On Apr 22, 2021
Karleb:

Just hope they don't teach you Fortran and Matlab in place of JavaScript. grin

Lol exactly what I saw in the curriculum... FORTRAN COBOL BASIC
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by Karleb(m): 5:52pm On Apr 22, 2021
NewAjala:

Lol exactly what I saw in the curriculum... FORTRAN COBOL BASIC

gringringringrin

RUN!!!

Those people will collect your money, stress you, teach you old modules and might even end up giving you bad grades.

I'd rather Udemy! cool
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by Etinosa1234: 5:53pm On Apr 22, 2021
qtguru:

Don't take this personal but I will advice you spend time in Android learning Fancy UI/UX and Custom Controls for Good Android UI, if you show client that work, chances are you will not find the jobs you are looking for. Go to Youtube and look for Custom UI Android tutorials. All the best

Thanks boss... I appreciate ur advice
Re: The Travails Of Junior Developers by 30naira: 6:01pm On Apr 22, 2021
Karleb:

You people should stop saying python is easier. It's not easier.

LOL, compared to PhP, it is. I learnt Python before PhP, the difference was clear

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ccna Certification / Lets Learn C / An Introduction To Programming Using C

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.