Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,412 members, 7,954,647 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:42 AM

Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island (1912 Views)

Hausa Residents Cry Out As Rivers Govt Demolishes Shanties / Attacks: Security Agencies Now Run To Us For Help – South-east Residents Cry Out / We Are Endangered In Benue – Igbo Residents Cry Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by prof2007: 6:58am On Apr 22, 2021
Nigerians woke up on Wednesday to a disturbing video dubbed #SecureIkoyi which suggested that the affluent area of Ikoyi, Lagos has been infiltrated by poor Nigerians.

A voice said in the video that Turnbull-Onikoyi Road and Banana Island Road residents are “hit with a stark reality. They live in a ghetto. They are now overrun with street hustlers, squatters, unregistered taxis yelling out destinations. It’s basically a scene usually found at overcrowded bus stops reminiscent of Ajegunle,” the male voice said.

It continued that there are multiple food sellers, barber shops, thugs and gambling stations at every turn. “No one knows who these trespassers are. Where they came from or what their mission is?” it added.

In reaction to the video, some Nigerians on social media have said the affluent cannot feel safe if the poor are not asleep.

If your neighbor is hungry, your chicken is not safe. #SecureIkoyi https:///X0N7EWXwjq
— *Pablo Martini* (@PabloHoggs) April 21, 2021

Welcome to nigeria�����#secureikoyi #RIPGeorgeFloyd #naijalibrary pic.twitter.com/yHBdW3KByz
— De_oyin (@Oyindaprecious2) April 21, 2021

When I opened this #secureikoyi video, I didn’t know I was opening a senseless documentary. � https:///SWQwuNEDO5
— Tobby Joseph (@realtobbyjoe) April 21, 2021

Yahoo boy don go looseguard ��#secureikoyi Harry Maguire Jesus Christ Asylum to IPOB DM or WhatsApp pic.twitter.com/oCCxyYigfG
— Brytophobia (@brytophobia) April 21, 2021

Looks like some #SecureIkoyi employer to me.
— 'Tunji Badru (@tjbadru) April 21, 2021

The #SecureIkoyi outcry has been around for a long time. Not just Ikoyi, its neighbouring affluent areas are also under siege.

Absence of a people's oriented economic growth and development plan continues to hunt the mega city aspirations of the Lagos ruling house
— Samuel Adedoyin �� (@originaldrsam) April 21, 2021

#secureikoyi:
Yes, inclusive security but more importantly, inclusive growth that put young folks in decent employment. Let's not gloss over the fact that there are actual "miscreants" among those guys in that documentary, many thrown into the street of despair by harsh economy. https:///QoCgapq6iN
— Oladeinde Olawoyin (@Ola_deinde) April 21, 2021

I shaa thank God say @NaijaBet no dey restricted to any area, whether Ojuelegba Mushin or Ikoyi
Anywhere you dey, you fit login, play and win#secureikoyi Jesus christ pic.twitter.com/L4YQblls1O
— Dee juls (@dee_juls) April 21, 2021

SOURCE: https://www.qed.ng/secureikoyi-video-calling-poor-nigerians-trespassers-causes-stir-on-twitter/

Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by princemillla(m): 6:59am On Apr 22, 2021
Lol
I don't know if I should find this funny or sad..... We r all in this mess together so let's enjoy it together
Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by harmargedon: 7:01am On Apr 22, 2021
Banana

Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by Nobody: 7:01am On Apr 22, 2021
Hoodlums
Making people in banana island go bananas

1 Like

Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by blowjob: 7:04am On Apr 22, 2021
ALL DIS RAMS,BE DEY THINK SAY,DEM DAT LIVE IN MONKEYS ISLAND AND DAT OVERRATED SMELLIN SLUM CALLED LEKKI,ARE SAFE undecided undecided

WELL I LAUGH IN CHINESE undecided undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by Maxymilliano(m): 7:07am On Apr 22, 2021
In reaction to the video, some Nigerians on social media have said the affluent cannot feel safe if the poor are not asleep.

wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by SocialJustice: 7:08am On Apr 22, 2021
Liar, most Ikoyi residents are probably not aware of that video.

Ikoyi is an eyesore though, there are too many poor people in Nigeria you can't avoid them no matter where you live.
Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by Nobody: 7:10am On Apr 22, 2021
SocialJustice:
Liar, most Ikoyi residents are probably not aware of that video.

Ikoyi is an eyesore though, there are too many poor people in Nigeria you can't avoid them no matter where you live.

This is true and it is why those who are wealthy must not treat poor Nigerians with disdain.

Rather wealthy Nigerians should commit to helping others and working towards the development of a more egalitarian society where opportunity is available, for all to make the best of themselves, regardless of background.

This would work to the glory of Nigeria also but what do I know .
Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by Nobody: 7:17am On Apr 22, 2021
Damn

Actually it would be better if this is happening in maitama, asokoro so that this country would have sense
Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by Nobody: 7:29am On Apr 22, 2021
The RICH also CRY!
Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by SocialJustice: 8:05am On Apr 22, 2021
Grayoso:

This is true and it is why those who are wealthy must not treat poor Nigerians with disdain.

Rather wealthy Nigerians should commit to helping others and working towards the development of a more egalitarian society where opportunity is available, for all to make the best of themselves, regardless of background.

This would work to the glory of Nigeria also but what do I know .
You're correct. Everyone properly placed must learn to help. Poor people can be very wicked and dangerous too, so wisdom must be applied.
Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by SmartPolician: 9:15am On Apr 22, 2021
The rate of violent crimes has been on the rise since the end of #EndSars protest in Lagos. There are so many guns on the streets.

Island is even the worst as bad boys now snatch people's smartphones in hold-ups. We used to hear such stories on Okokomaiko but not anymore.

1 Like

Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by Nobody: 9:20am On Apr 22, 2021
SocialJustice:
You're correct. Everyone properly placed must learn to help. Poor people can be very wicked and dangerous too, so wisdom must be applied.

Totally Agree with you but many got that way because of poverty, deprivation, hopelessness,
neglect and frustration.

In the end we must all begin doing our bit to end the vicious cycle otherwise non of us will live in peace and happiness.

1 Like

Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by Nobody: 9:23am On Apr 22, 2021
SmartPolician:
The rate of violent crimes has been on the rise since the end of #EndSars protest in Lagos. There are so many guns on the streets.

Island is even the worst as bad boys now snatch people's smartphones in hold-ups. We used to hear such stories on Okokomaiko but not anymore.

Indeed. Inevitable to be honest.

Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by CocoaOla: 9:23am On Apr 22, 2021
APC had lied too much for too long. Time to tell them, "enough is enough". They make fools of well meaning Nigerians. I won't take it any longer. More money has been made available to Buhari through loans, aids and the devaluation of the Naira than GEJ ever had.
Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by CocoaOla: 9:28am On Apr 22, 2021
APC had lied too much for too long. Time to tell them, "enough is enough". They make fools of well meaning Nigerians. I won't take it any longer. More money has been made available to Buhari through loans, aids and the devaluation of the Naira than GEJ ever had
Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by Karemarealty288(m): 9:45am On Apr 22, 2021
Teacher: When Banana is open to public...what is it called
Students: Banana Republic!!!!

Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by Hotshisha: 10:09am On Apr 22, 2021
whats the fuse about? they didnt trespass into a private property, the roads belongs to all of us... while the rich people are in their mansions their domestic staffs , artisans and laborers are on the cold street with their kind

1 Like

Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by Okoroawusa: 10:09am On Apr 22, 2021
When you were shouting #ENDSARS upandan you no know say na so e go later be abi?

Welcome to the new world after the protests!!
Re: Ikoyi Residents Cry Out Over Hoodlums & Insecurity In Banana Island by delpee(f): 1:05pm On Apr 22, 2021
I wondered when I saw quite a number of mobile tailors, nail cutters, scrap dealers/cart pushers on the streets of Ikoyi while driving through recently. I thought cart pushers were banned from prowling Lagos streets since the BRF era. I also noticed that metal drain covers are missing at some junctions.

It seems poverty in the land is bursting at the seams. Hustlers will naturally seek for opportunities in affluent areas. It's such a great pity that majority of the people are struggling to survive against all odds.

(1) (Reply)

Sarki Mounts Peter Obi Billboards In Kaduna / Throwback - Obi Didn't Arrest Me, Order Came From Abuja - El Rufai Confesses / 2nd Niger Bridge Completed, To Be Named Mohammadu Buahri Bridge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.