Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

The Dilemma Of A Praying Deist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Dilemma Of A Praying Deist (1570 Views)

My Experience As A Deist / Am I A Deist? / God’s Existence: The Deist Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dilemma Of A Praying Deist by DeepSight(m): 12:25pm On Apr 22, 2011
If a man regards God as Transcendent and non-interventionist, need he pray?

My dilemma is that I do pray. My prayers are scarcely ever formal constructions. I regard little fleeting heaves of wonder and emotion, of passionate quest within my spirit, to be prayers. I also regard my wonder at the beauty of creation to be praise. Here and there I do quietly speak a few words to that entity that I regard to be the ultimate existent: God. My spirit cannot divorce this.

But really what is the place and relevance of prayer within the mindset of God as a transcendent and non-interventionist element. I wonder, and would like to hear from others genuinely.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Praying Deist by nuclearboy(m): 6:14pm On Apr 22, 2011
I would expect just praise and definitely not prayer from you. Whats the point of prayer if indeed non-interventionist? Praise for women, flowers, beauty!

Which makes me wonder - are you sure what you believe or is there a nagging feeling that God is more personal than you would wish?
Re: The Dilemma Of A Praying Deist by Nobody: 7:17pm On Apr 22, 2011
The Idea that GOD (as described by your average bible-literate christian) would consider prayer as a means of communication beats me you even gats the Holy Spirit in the mix to utter words that we cannot fathom but are a sure-fire way to speak to GOD with the most clarity/reception. I fear I am the only one who sees prayer as a soliloquy in reverence to a higher-power not a means of worship. I think when we reach a certain level of awakening in spirit and consciousness - Prayer becomes a receptacle to be used for sharing thoughts (not the traditional rites of worship). Think of prayer as a communication between skilled soccer players, everyone is on the same wave-length and are unified in purpose (will-fully). it is not necessarily the spoken word, but the simple acceptance of a truth. To say GOD at his level will expect honest murmurings of piety, especially as a petition or in adoration or contrition or thanksgiving smacks of in-suffice human wisdom. If GOD is what popular thought claims then telepathy (or something like that) is all that is needed. A being of such transcendent measure should not be bantering with his creation when in the old days he would simply thunder from the skies or sneak up behind you and chat.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Praying Deist by DeepSight(m): 8:04pm On Apr 22, 2011
nuclearboy:

I would expect just praise and definitely not prayer from you. Whats the point of prayer if indeed non-interventionist? Praise for women, flowers, beauty!

Which makes me wonder - are you sure what you believe or is there a nagging feeling that God is more personal than you would wish?

You are quite correct. I have expended alot of time wondering about this. Sometimes I really ponder on something said by easylogic a while back -

He said that "the very act of creation is a personal act".

To be sincere, that sounded potent to me. However I have often thought in contradiction of that, that creation may not really be an "act" per se. It may simply be an eternal and constant state of the expression of the divine mind in a never changing eternal instant.

We all, do have alot to learn. Sometimes however, it may be better to simply experience the womder of creation and the gift of life, than bother with the grave thought of "learning" anything.

For, what can we really know, my friend?
Re: The Dilemma Of A Praying Deist by LordReed(m): 8:06pm On Apr 22, 2011
Speech is an important element in the spiritverse. This is why it is written ". . . and God said. . ." even the witches and wizards have to voice out their spells and incantations.

It is also written "With the heart man believes unto righteousness and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." Praying in your heart/mind is essential as it focuses your spiritual energies but release via utterance is essential if you want to see effect.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Praying Deist by DeepSight(m): 8:14pm On Apr 22, 2011
Lord_Reed:

Speech is an important element in the spiritverse. This is why it is written ". . . and God said. . ." even the witches and wizards have to voice out their spells and incantations.

It is also written "With the heart man believes unto righteousness and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." Praying in your heart/mind is essential as it focuses your spiritual energies but release via utterance is essential if you want to see effect.

What about a dumb person. CAN HE NOT release anything since he is dumb.

Is the thought in his mind and the volition in the spirit not the core thing?
Re: The Dilemma Of A Praying Deist by DeepSight(m): 8:15pm On Apr 22, 2011
voltron:

The Idea that GOD (as described by your average bible-literate christian) would consider prayer as a means of communication beats me you even gats the Holy Spirit in the mix to utter words that we cannot fathom but are a sure-fire way to speak to GOD with the most clarity/reception. I fear I am the only one who sees prayer as a soliloquy in reverence to a higher-power not a means of worship. I think when we reach a certain level of awakening in spirit and consciousness - Prayer becomes a receptacle to be used for sharing thoughts (not the traditional rites of worship). Think of prayer as a communication between skilled soccer players, everyone is on the same wave-length and are unified in purpose (will-fully). it is not necessarily the spoken word, but the simple acceptance of a truth. To say GOD at his level will expect honest murmurings of piety, especially as a petition or in adoration or contrition or thanksgiving smacks of in-suffice human wisdom. If GOD is what popular thought claims then telepathy (or something like that) is all that is needed. A being of such transcendent measure should not be bantering with his creation when in the old days he would simply thunder from the skies or sneak up behind you and chat.

Men, bros you deep o! Thnaks!
Re: The Dilemma Of A Praying Deist by LordReed(m): 8:34pm On Apr 22, 2011
Nice question to which I do not have an answer because I sincerely would want the dumb to speak. His dumb state is not certainly not the correct order of things.

As for learning it is good to acquire knowledge but frustrating to believe one can see the end of knowledge. I would prefer to keep learning and be amazed at how much I know and don't know.

(1) (Reply)

Bomb Explosion Rocks St Theresa's Catholic Church At Madala, Niger State. / Two Reasons I Believe There Is A God / When An Atheist Dates A Christian Girl From A Christian Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.