Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,598 members, 7,827,252 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) (1253 Views)

Enugu State Builds Roads To Connect Roads Accross Thick Forests / How Oversized Medians Contribute To Traffic Bottlenecks On Lagos Roads (PIX) / FRSC Officer Slaps Innocent Driver As His Colleagues Endangered Commuters Lives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by TMKsouth: 12:15pm On Apr 25, 2021
Cape Town has put up what are believed to be SA's first tunnels built especially for toads.

The two tunnels have been built near Zeekoevlei so that endangered western leopard toads can avoid being squashed by vehicles while crossing the road.

Three more tunnels are planned, and walls will be built to guide toads into them when they migrate towards the vlei during breeding season in August.

The Cape Town Environmental Education Trust, which is in charge of the “Western Cape leopard toad underpass project”, said it hoped other animals would also use the tunnels to cross the road safely.

“Five underpass tunnels are planned for installation along the road, with two tunnels (50m apart) being installed this season,” said the trust's species conservation manager, Louise Baldwin.

“During the breeding season we will monitor these tunnels to ascertain the number of toads utilising them and determine if there is a decrease in road mortalities in the area.”

The western leopard toad is listed as endangered on the International Union for Conservation of Nature red list and is found only in the Western Cape, where development is continually reducing its habitat.

“Within the last 20 years, the toad populations have undergone drastic declines from urban areas where they were once abundant,” said a trust statement.

3 Likes

Re: South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by Anigreat: 12:17pm On Apr 25, 2021
shocked

That's a sane country there.

This zoo won't even construct a pedestrian bridge for it citizen , unless cows will make use of it too.

10 Likes

Re: South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by BeeBeeOoh(m): 12:19pm On Apr 25, 2021
There are some things that you'll get to see or read and it will get you so so jaded..

Eye yam just tayad

1 Like

Re: South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by Maks27: 12:24pm On Apr 25, 2021
This is exceptional

The brain behind this project should be awarded

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by TMKsouth: 12:32pm On Apr 25, 2021
BeeBeeOoh:
There are something's that you'll get to see or read and it will get you so so jaded..

Eye yam just tayad

Lol grin, the meme you used is the Deputy President of SA. He's probably behind this project.

4 Likes

Re: South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by BeeBeeOoh(m): 12:33pm On Apr 25, 2021
TMKsouth:

Lol grin, the meme you used is the Deputy President of SA. He's probably behind this project.
I know that's why I used it so as to blend wella with the thread cheesy

3 Likes

Re: South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by TMKsouth: 12:34pm On Apr 25, 2021
Maks27:
This is exceptional

Exactly! I like that all small animals can use it too. My small nephew immediately thought of rats when he saw these pics.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by TMKsouth: 12:39pm On Apr 25, 2021
Anigreat:
shocked

This zoo won't even construct a pedestrian bridge for it citizen , unless cows will make use of it too.

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

As a foreigner, I won't comment on this. Just acknowledging receipt cheesy
Re: South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by TripleDdotcom: 12:52pm On Apr 25, 2021
TMKsouth:

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

As a foreigner, I won't comment on this. Just acknowledging receipt cheesy

Sure, you won't comment on it.... Now!

But you will use it as a point when next Nigerians and South Africans are having their next online wars.... undecided

Or is that not it? cheesy

By the way, please check my signature and patronize us for your data. Na beg I dey beg. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by TMKsouth: 1:00pm On Apr 25, 2021
TripleDdotcom:

Sure, you won't comment on it.... Now!

But you will use it as a point when next Nigerians and South Africans are having their next online wars.... undecided

Or is that not it? cheesy

Oh yeah, it's new ammunition in the bag for sure! I have defensive wars with Nigerians on the daily on this forum grin but today I'm behaving myself cool

Lol, will check out your signature.
Re: South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by TMKsouth: 2:13pm On Apr 25, 2021

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by YEBOmadiba: 2:29pm On Apr 25, 2021
Maks27:
This is exceptional

Simple but effective I guess, hw do u think the frogs will know how to use this undecided
Re: South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by JaceBlaze: 2:51pm On Apr 25, 2021
Anigreat:
shocked

grin This killed me.

3 Likes

Re: South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by OSDD(m): 8:12pm On Apr 25, 2021
It will take Nigeria over 3 years to construct that and with so many embezzlement......

FFS

1 Like

Re: South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by descarado: 8:19pm On Apr 25, 2021
This is lovely.

Animals have rights to live too.

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by gentlestdude(m): 4:23am On Apr 26, 2021
useless Nigerian politicians can never emulate good things.
Re: South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by ChiefSosa(m): 11:00am On Apr 26, 2021
GOOD DEVELOPMENT BUT, I HATE FROGS/TOADS; THEY DISGUST ME. I WONDER HOW PEOPLE EAT THEM.
Lalasticlala abeg come and carry this food from here, I've lost my appetite.
*Pukes on shekau's chest*

Re: South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by TMKsouth: 2:34pm On Apr 26, 2021
ChiefSosa:
GOOD DEVELOPMENT BUT, I HATE FROGS/TOADS; THEY DISGUST ME. I WONDER HOW PEOPLE EAT THEM.
Lalasticlala abeg come and carry this food from here, I've lost my appetite.
*Pukes on shekau's chest*

Lol grin, sorry.
Re: South Africa Builds Tunnels To Help Endangered Frogs Cross Busy Roads (PIX) by Nobody: 2:51pm On Apr 26, 2021
good job

(1) (Reply)

Pls Guys, Has Anybody Here Gotten His Students Visa To South Cyprus Recently Her / Any Naija In Ghana? / World Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.