Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,111 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

Power Outage In Onitsha: EEDC Does Not Rate Us - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Outage In Onitsha: EEDC Does Not Rate Us (195 Views)

Power Outage In Imo Beyond Us - Enugu Electricity Distribution Company / These People Don't Rate Us'- Nigerians React To Fashola's Discovery Of A Secret / TCN Announces Planned Power Outage In Lagos And Ogun State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Power Outage In Onitsha: EEDC Does Not Rate Us by Chrisemeka1(m): 12:33pm On Apr 26, 2021
Power Outage in Onitsha: EEDC does not rate us

I had to come out of my shell(as a guest user) to write this as a concerned EEDC customer. The level of power distribution in Onitsha now should be around all time low since EEDC took over. And when I mean all-time low, I mean that with some highlighted backings. There are 4 'sub-distribution' popular lines that cover more than 80% of households in Onitsha.

One is the "federal" line. This line seem to be very reliable...only on very few occasions in a year that there would be blackouts; and if there is one, it usually restored within minutes. People at Army Barracks, some parts of GRA, 3-3, Ugwuagba and environs enjoy this exclusive service (~3%).

The second and third one are the "normal" lines. They are different lines almost 40% of the connected households connect to. They were almost compared to the federal line until dec 2019 when blackouts within a day were experienced mildly. As of Nov 2020, it gives around 17-22 hours daily.

The last one is the "Old" line, it fluctuates around 11-15 hours a day. Sometimes 10 hours average a week.

Blackouts in 5 days now

(This was never how it was before. I normally get more electricity than I do in Lagos. Sometimes with EEDC, I get 3 days constant power before 8-15 minutes power outage occurs unlike my Ikeja Electric's 19-23 hours-per-day.)
There have been serious drop on the number of hours households and businesses get power of recent. Sometimes it results to total blackouts for all sub- distributions. One of the recent was between 12 pm on Saturday, March 20th to 3pm the next day (Sunday) when there was total blackout in Onitsha and environs.
It was quite unexpected as it affected everyone. Water became scare that period and for those that buy water, a 25 litre gallon was raised from the initial #10 to #50.
From my findings, the power generating plants were not down that day and there was no statement from EEDC or TCN regarding that. Further enquiries to know the cause of the blackout from EEDC was not attended to even till the time of posting this.

The one that broke the Camel's back started last Thursday 22nd April, when blackout occurred around 5pm. It was not restored until the next morning (Friday) by 9:30am. Later that Friday, around 6 pm, there was another total blackout which lasted till 11:40am on Saturday. Again, there was another total blackout that Saturday around 6pm, though it was restored by 10:30pm on Saturday. The total power between 10:30pm till the time of posting this (over 38 hours) barely cut 10-hour mark. It is also verifiable that no one received power from the popular 4 grid distributions for the past 20 hours now. In essence, there is an average of 4 hours of electricity since Thursday.

This is something of great concern as we have businesses and people that rely greatly on electricity for most of their activities. I personally have key projects to deliver but the current situation is affecting my reputation greatly. Considering the time blackouts was(and is currently) experienced, most people would have returned from work hoping to cool off from the day's hustle...not expecting to be billed as over 12 hours-a-day user but barely get 6 hours.

If the EEDC does not rate their Onitsha customers, they should at least work on their communication channels.

Response from EEDC

As at the time of posting this, EEDC is yet to respond on their customer care channels. Their hotline "084 700 100" seem not "assigned" and messages sent to their WhatsApp lines, "0815 082 6060 and 0815 082 6061" are yet to be answered.

(1) (Reply)

My Prayer For Nigeria At This Time / BREAKING: Rev. Fr. Mbaka Reportedly Missing - Ohanaeze Raises Alarm, Warn FG / Don't Joke With Anambra November Election, Anglican Synod Tasks Voters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.