Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,083 members, 7,835,649 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

What Is Happening To The Naira? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Is Happening To The Naira? (943 Views)

What Is Happening To Banks? Can't Receive Money Sent To Me / When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Happening To The Naira? by Jbleenk: 6:22pm On Apr 26, 2021
It never crossed my mind how bastardised the naira has become against major currencies like the US Dollar until I needed to do an FX transaction of $2,000.

I thought I could do an online transaction. You know, filling your naira debit card details in the marchant’s portal online and be done with. Little did I know I’m old school in this. I kept getting insufficient funds error message thrown back at me. No, hell no I thought. I have more than enough funds in this account I shouldn’t be getting this damn message I said to myself furious.

What I thought was an error message isn’t an error message, it’s in fact a valid message. To my surprise I can only carry out an FX transaction if $100 from my caccount per month. What in the world.

Had to go source for US Dollar at the black market. Eventually I manage to get $2,000 for 964,000 naira. Just 36,000 naira short of 1million naira?

I know quite alright Dollar to naira exchange rate is a major issue in Nigeria today but I cared less cause most of my transactions are done in naira until today when I had cause to get some dollars.

The moral of this is, ditch the naira asap else you might live to regret later in future. I’m putting plans in place to convert my naira to a better relatable currency.

1 Share

Re: What Is Happening To The Naira? by Amaechi2023(m): 6:26pm On Apr 26, 2021
i don't know what kind of contract Nigeria signed with world Bank that makes them to keep devaluating our currency.
even at this they insisted our currency is 18% over valued..
this country matter Taya me jare..
Re: What Is Happening To The Naira? by nlreserve: 6:48pm On Apr 26, 2021
Amaechi2023:
i don't know what kind of contract Nigeria signed with world Bank that makes them to keep devaluating our currency.
even at this they insisted our currency is 18% over valued..
this country matter Taya me jare..
What do you mean contract? Why wont they devalue your money when you are not exporting anything to get more dollar? You export crude and import it back as motor spirit and later be forming exporter in Africa. Until smart and industrious entrepreneurs are elected to lead, the economy will continue to go zigzag.

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To The Naira? by Amaechi2023(m): 6:54pm On Apr 26, 2021
nlreserve:
What do you mean contract? Why wont they devalue your money when you are not exporting anything to get more dollar? You export crude and import it back as motor spirit and later be forming exporter in Africa. Until smart and industrious entrepreneurs are elected to lead, the economy will continue to go zigzag.
that's what economics told you but it's all a lie.
our import rates from 2015 till date has dropped when FG intervened in banning some foreign products and closing of boders, also our export rate after the 2016 recession increased when oil price rose from $18 per barrel to $60 per barrel.
thing is, no matter what we do, our currency can never gain against the dollar.
south Africa economy is not as good as China but the rand's is stronger than yen.
or are you saying Kuwait economy is stronger than Russia or US?
forget what economics teaches you.
even top economist don't know how the exchange rate sysytem really works.

that covid period when there was no import the naira was still loosing value.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Happening To The Naira? by Masterppower: 6:57pm On Apr 26, 2021
Yoruba's voted for this disaster, now they have the change they requested for

3 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To The Naira? by lonecatt(m): 7:05pm On Apr 26, 2021
I have been converting mine to assets
I just pray I don't regret it.
Buhari jaga jaga the economy in 1984 and he is doing same today.

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To The Naira? by gambia(m): 7:07pm On Apr 26, 2021
You should be more interested in what's happening to Nigeria.
Re: What Is Happening To The Naira? by nlreserve: 7:08pm On Apr 26, 2021
Amaechi2023:
that's what economics told you but it's all a lie.
our import rates from 2015 till date has dropped when FG intervened in banning some foreign products and closing of boders, also our export rate after the 2016 recession increased when oil price rose from $18 per barrel to $60 per barrel.
thing is, no matter what we do, our currency can never gain against the dollar.
south Africa economy is not as good as China but the rand's is stronger than yen.
or are you saying Kuwait economy is stronger than Russia or US?
forget what economics teaches you.
even top economist don't know how the exchange rate sysytem really works.

that covid period when there was no import the naira was still loosing value.
You need to go back to school or do a research. You just dey talk trash.
Re: What Is Happening To The Naira? by Skillsnigeria: 7:16pm On Apr 26, 2021
hmmm, everything don tired person
Re: What Is Happening To The Naira? by Pierocash(m): 7:16pm On Apr 26, 2021
nlreserve:
I don't think he is talking trash,he is making sense. I use to go in the line of your thought before until he made a point ,comparing China and south Africa.

China produces almost everything they use if not all,yet Rand is stronger than Yen. What of Kuwait Dinar,what are they producing in Kuwait better than china that made their currency one if not the strongest currency.

The guy is right.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Happening To The Naira? by Amaechi2023(m): 7:23pm On Apr 26, 2021
nlreserve:
I don't think you know economics, if you know better then I'm willing to learn.
no be everything be bashing.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To The Naira? by Aderr: 7:28pm On Apr 26, 2021
Pierocash:
I don't think he is talking trash,he is making sense. I use to go in the line of your thought before until he made a point ,comparing China and south Africa.

China produces almost everything they use if not all,yet Rand is stronger than Yen. What of Kuwait Dinar,what are they producing in Kuwait better than china that made their currency one if not the strongest currency.

The guy is right.
China deliberately kept the value of their currency low because China is a net exporter of manufactured goods. That makes the prices of their goods cheap outside China, especially in America, Europe Asia and South America. That's why they are competitive.

The naira lost value during covid lockdown because oil prices were ridiculously low. We couldn't earn dollars.

So the guy is wrong.

5 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To The Naira? by Madmohamed1: 7:29pm On Apr 26, 2021
Jbleenk:
It never crossed my mind how bastardised the naira has become against major currencies like the US Dollar until I needed to do an FX transaction of $2,000.

I thought I could do an online transaction. You know, filling your naira debit card details in the marchant’s portal online and be done with. Little did I know I’m old school in this. I kept getting insufficient funds error message thrown back at me. No, hell no I thought. I have more than enough funds in this account I shouldn’t be getting this damn message I said to myself furious.

What I thought was an error message isn’t an error message, it’s in fact a valid message. To my surprise I can only carry out an FX transaction if $100 from my caccount per month. What in the world.

Had to go source for US Dollar at the black market. Eventually I manage to get $2,000 for 964,000 naira. Just 36,000 naira short of 1million naira?

I know quite alright Dollar to naira exchange rate is a major issue in Nigeria today but I cared less cause most of my transactions are done in naira until today when I had cause to get some dollars.

The moral of this is, ditch the naira asap else you might live to regret later in future. I’m putting plans in place to convert my naira to a better relatable currency.
APC government is Hippocrates when oil is $30 they will quick to tell Nigeria know oil is going up $70 they keep quiet
Re: What Is Happening To The Naira? by Yohnshogun: 11:37pm On Apr 26, 2021
Send Lange

(1) (Reply)

How to become a POS Agent / Used Fireman Generator For Sale / 5 USDT Daily Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.