Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:03 AM

Urgently Needed Brain Box - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Urgently Needed Brain Box (3493 Views)

Selling Engine Control Units(brain Box) For All Cars With Pictures. / 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help / Brain Box Ecu For Any Car In Nigeria And Nissan Pls Call! Lots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgently Needed Brain Box by oladele007: 10:06pm On Apr 22, 2011
Please i need brain box for peugeot 406 1996 model,or where can i buy it in lagos, thanks ur responds are welcome.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Ikenna351(m): 11:48pm On Apr 22, 2011
oladele007:

Please i need brain box for peugeot 406 1996 model,or where can i buy it in lagos, thanks your responds are welcome.

Its called ECU (Electronic Control Unit). Most modern cars that are not Peugeots use PCM (Powertrain Control Module) which does the same function of ECU.

Before you condemn your ECU, have your mechanic confirmed if the culprit is CKP (Crankshaft Position sensor)? That depends on what is wrong with the car. Is it that there is no spark? ( I mean the engine cranks, but no start?) Also, has he also checked the Amplifier/Ignition Module? If any of these components is faulty, the car will not have sparks on the spark plugs, which most Nigerian mechanics would attribute to faulty ECU.

Peugeot, at least the older products, used Bosch Jetronic ECU on their EFI engines, which have been proved to be very durable, reliable & industructible to some extent. I can attest to this, after owing and using 505 V6 for a while. If 406 has Bosch ECU, then I would adivice you to check the two components i mentioned above, that is, if they have. Is your 406 model the Distributorless type?

Ikenna.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Nobody: 7:38am On Apr 23, 2011
oladele007:

Please i need brain box for peugeot 406 1996 model,or where can i buy it in lagos, thanks your responds are welcome.

You need an ECU for a '96 Peugeot 406. But what engine does your car have?

ECU's are engine-specific, you can't run a 1,6L engine with the ECU for a 2,0L 16V and vice versa. There are even differences between some same-capacity engines, your best bet of getting the right one is to post the part numbers of your old unit. Or simply take a picture of it, and post the image here.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by oladele007: 3:38pm On Apr 23, 2011
I thank u all, the brain box was removed in where i parked the car, or is it possible that the car did not have brain box? because i did not notice it. and the engine knocked when i drove it through waterloo.here the original engine picture below. i bought another in france to fix in it and after the mechanics told me that there no brain box in the car.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by oladele007: 4:07pm On Apr 23, 2011
@ siena pls can u send me your email address, am having problems of loading the pictures.
so that i can send them into your email.
thanks. here is my email address amusco.2000@yahoo.com.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Ikenna351(m): 4:37pm On Apr 23, 2011
Hmm! what kind of Mechanic that tells you your car engine runs without an ECU? Unless the car engine is fuel carburetted, thats weird!

Ikenna.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by oladele007: 4:45pm On Apr 23, 2011
@ ikenna, I am not in naija now, but the engine is 16v  if u can send me your email i will send u the pitures of the engine for more enlighteing. thanks.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Ikenna351(m): 5:08pm On Apr 23, 2011
Dont forget to send the pics to Siena too.

Ikenna
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by oladele007: 5:24pm On Apr 23, 2011
@ikenna, i have send them.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Ikenna351(m): 5:49pm On Apr 23, 2011
The engine pics shows its EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) engine. So, yes, there should be ECU in the car that controls the engine electronic components. The engine cannot run without it. Its the ECU that signals the injectors to open and inject fuel into combustion chambers via intake valves. The ECU gets info from sensors, including AFM/MAF sensor, and determines the fuel/air mixtures in combustion chambers via intake manifold. The ECU dtermines which spark plug to ignite or produce spark in combustion chambers.

Simply put, the engine cant run without it at all. I believe locating the ECU in the car is the problem with the mechanic.

Lets hear from Siena too.

Ikenna.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by oladele007: 6:00pm On Apr 23, 2011
@ikenna thanks, the mechanic said that somebody have removed it. it is stolen.
can any one of it type work with it without buying complete kits of the brain box with keys?
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Ikenna351(m): 6:23pm On Apr 23, 2011
oladele007:

I thank u all, the brain box was removed in where i parked the car, or is it possible that the car did not have brain box? because i did not notice it. and the engine knocked when i drove it through waterloo.here the original engine picture below. i bought another in france to fix in it and after the mechanics told me that there no brain box in the car.

Still sound weird that you drove the car without the ECU

Let me get something clear. Does the engine still start and run at all? You said the engine knocked when you drove it , Was it after the the ECU was "removed/stolen"(according to your mechanic) that the engine knocked?

Anyway, let assume the car really dosent have ECU now. For you to get the part no of the engine model ECU. First, you need to find out the model year of the 406. Is it the 406 the first series? I couldnt open the 2nd pic you send which you noted in the mail that its the car pic. Otherwise, i could tell from it which series it is. Also you may also need to find out the engine model no. or its cubic capacity. Knowing the year model of the car will help a lot in tracking the factory spec ECU part no.

Installing another ECU type involves replacing or modifying the wiring harness/loom. The question is "Do yoy trust the competency of whoever will do the transplant/modification for you?"

Oladele, trade carefully since you are dealing with electrical/wiring issue with the so called Nigerian rewires, so that they wont end up grounding the car for you. Trust me. You wont like it when it happens. Ask Siena what i went true with mine in their hands.

Ikenna.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Ikenna351(m): 6:37pm On Apr 23, 2011
Pls mind you, our mechanics and rewires here also call or regard Ignition module as "Brain box" too grin. So you will need to find out which of the "brain boxes" the mechanic was refering to grin

ikenna.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by oladele007: 6:41pm On Apr 23, 2011
it is 1996 model, manufactured in 20/02/1996, serial no vf388Lfy880006694.
When the engine knocked i removed the engine and packed it for me to buy another engine in france cos i base in france. infact is the car that have been using in france for long time without any problem.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Ikenna351(m): 7:04pm On Apr 23, 2011
Since its 1996 production, its 1st series 406. From 1995 to 1997, I4 engine was used. The engine model no. is XU5 JP (BFZ). And the cubic capictty of the engine is 1.580 cc (1.6 liters).

So, to make it easier for you, look for a '96 406 production and get the ECU part no. Google it.m It wont be that hard for you. Also. you will need to join online various 406 owners forum. Getting a part no. like this wouldnt have been a problem for you, if you were a member of such forums. You will get all the help and technical info you will need to keep the car on the road. And finally, learn how to fix your car by yourself (DIY). It will save you a lot of headache the Nigerian mechanics and rewires will be giving you, each time you give them your car to fix for you.

Ikenna
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by oladele007: 7:16pm On Apr 23, 2011
@ ikenna thank u very much, i will try and google it and find the part no of the ECU and is all the ECU of the model between 95-97 work with each other without any modifications?
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Ikenna351(m): 7:20pm On Apr 23, 2011
That depends if yours is Petrol driven. Is it Diesel?

Ikenna.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by oladele007: 7:22pm On Apr 23, 2011
it is petrol. thanks
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Ikenna351(m): 7:24pm On Apr 23, 2011
This will help in explaining it more to you. Enjoy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot_406
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by oladele007: 7:28pm On Apr 23, 2011
i thank u very much i will try it now, i really apreciate ur effort. GOD bless u.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Nobody: 7:33pm On Apr 23, 2011
Sorry for my late response, Oladele.

My email address is
siena_@hotmail.co.uk
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Ikenna351(m): 7:33pm On Apr 23, 2011
There is this French car forum http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12 that am recommending that you join, which am a member of. Believe, you wont need a mechanic to diagnose your car, once you become a member.

Ikenna.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Nobody: 7:35pm On Apr 23, 2011
Any joy getting your Pug 505 V6 sorted, Ikenna? Or finding another car entirely?

Sorry for going off-topic here, Oladele.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by oladele007: 7:44pm On Apr 23, 2011
@ ikenna i will join the forum.

@siena i have send the pictures. u can check ur mail.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Ikenna351(m): 7:51pm On Apr 23, 2011
Siena:

Any joy getting your Pug 505 V6 sorted, Ikenna? Or finding another car entirely?

Sorry for going off-topic here, Oladele.

Siena,

By myself, I was able to reverse the wrong connections the rewire did. The car is now running. But it appears the injectors will need to be replaced (all). Fuel dilutes oil in the sump, the engine hard start when it warms and still  emitts black smoke, with unburnt fuel odor that pains the eyes from the exhaust.  All these systems I believe are been caused by leaky/leaking Injectors. Also,  the damaged MAF sensor by the reiwire is yet to be replaced. Those, the injectors and MAF, are the next components on my to-do list to be replaced, hopefully, would fix the remaining electrical issues with the car. Except that, the car runs and performs like rocket once it hits the road, especially the highway. I love that car.

Since am not sure when the "promised" one is coming,  I will be a fool to fold my hands and keep waiting, when I know , with determination, this one can be fixed, though at high cost. But am doing the fixing myself. No more mechanics or rewires for me, except in serious matters, maybe in future.

Ikenna.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Nobody: 9:47pm On Apr 23, 2011
I'm glad you've at least got the car going, it gives you more of an incentive to delve further.

Just a quick question - would you ever consider fitting a small block V8, if you had the know how? The 505 engine bay is certainly long enough.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Ikenna351(m): 11:48pm On Apr 23, 2011
Siena:

I'm glad you've at least got the car going, it gives you more of an incentive to delve further.

Just a quick question - would you ever consider fitting a small block V8, if you had the know how? The 505 engine bay is certainly long enough.

V8 keh! Of course, i would love to. I love driving cars with powerful engines. Its just that the PRV 2.8 even-fire engine is a very sweet smooth running 90 degree V6 engine. It has so much power, with roaring sound when in action. Being a short stroke engine makes the engine to produce a high torque at low rpm. And also, the bottom part of the engine has been proved over time to be indestructible, as long as there is oil in the sump. Also, its camshaft is driven by chain,not belt, prone to failure at will.

I wouldnt mind to have V8 in a 505 really. But maybe, will consider that when i have 2nd or 3rd 505. V8 makes sense really cool

Ikenna.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Nobody: 9:41am On Apr 24, 2011
A Pug 505 V8 will be pretty unique, at least in Nigeria.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by oladele007: 10:20am On Apr 24, 2011
siena am still waiting for your respond pls.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Nobody: 1:26pm On Apr 24, 2011
Oladele, I haven't received an email from you.
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by oladele007: 1:29pm On Apr 24, 2011
i have send it yesterday on ur mail with siena@hotmail.co.uk.but i will resend it now thanks
Re: Urgently Needed Brain Box by Nobody: 1:37pm On Apr 24, 2011
I see your error. It's siena_@hotmail.co.uk (siena underscore at hotmail dot co dot uk).

You forgot the underscore (_).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toyota Camry 1999 (tiny Light) For Sale / TOKUNBO 2008 TOYOTA Highlander SPORT..N4.8m / 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited. White Colour. Neat And Perfect Condition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.