Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,154 members, 7,811,315 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves (5424 Views)

"First-Fruits": Pastors Are Planning A Major Robbery In January / Tithes And Offerings / Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 23, 2011
Jewish Rabbis in Jewish synagogues today don't collect Tithes and First Fruits and Jesus and his apostles never collected it either. So how come churches collecting Tithes and First Fruits today know the Bible more than Jesus his Apostles and the Jewish Rabbis in Jewish synagogues today.

Christians please wake up and let us put a stop to these fraudulent pastors claiming they are collecting Tithes and First Fruits for God.
The only tax Jesus paid for himself and his apostles was the temple tax though he told us we the children are exempt from it.

The Temple Tax
Matthew 17
24After Jesus and his disciples arrived in Capernaum, the collectors of the two-drachma tax came to Peter and asked, “Doesn’t your teacher pay the temple tax?”
25“Yes, he does,” he replied.
When Peter came into the house, Jesus was the first to speak. “What do you think, Simon?” he asked. “From whom do the kings of the earth collect duty and taxes—from their own sons or from others?”
26“From others,” Peter answered.
“Then the sons are exempt,” Jesus said to him. 27“But so that we may not offend them, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours.”

If we claim to be followers of Jesus, then we must follow his teachings and apply wisdom to some, like (1) turning the other cheek, this means we should walk away from confrontations, (2) Sell all your belongings give to the poor, this does not mean we should do the same because all four Gospels are clear on this that the Man who buried Jesus, was a rich man from Arimathea named Joseph, who also was a disciple of Jesus.

Jesus never paid or collected tithes, first fruit or last fruit, this means that Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thiefs.

Jesus has already seen these evil pastors ahead of us and has given us these warnings below

Matthew 7
22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’
23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Thank God for the internet there is no hiding place for these evil pastors anymore, God will continue to expose all of you AMEN.
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by Nobody: 12:02pm On Apr 23, 2011
The way they go about collecting these monies from the congrgation is so fraudulent.Had it been that after collecting these taxes from the congregation they even used some of the money to aid the poor members of the church it would even be more bearable.The irony is that these monies are set aside for Daddy pastors next aeroplane,jeep or designer suit.
Jesus never taught prosperity preaching,infact he stated that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to see the kingdom of heaven.
Jesus even advised rich men to sell all their possessions and give to the poor.St Mark chpt10v17-23.
So why the craze of modern day pastors to fleece their congregation in order to accumulate wealth and property?
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by PLENTYNAIR(m): 12:10am On Apr 24, 2011
It is better to Keep quiet in ignorance than exposing your ignorance and inability to learn from God's word.

With all due respect I think these are foolish talkings. It is not just quoting a part of the bible but studying the subject in question.

@MrBible

Who told you that Jewish Priests don't receive tithes and first-fruit AND WHO TOLD YOU THE APOSTLES DON'T OBSERVE TITHING?. These facts are verifiable if you will ask a committed member of such  denomination (I have sister who was in top leadership position in such Jewish Synagogue).

Deut 12:17
17 You must not eat in your own towns the tithe of your grain and new wine and oil, or the firstborn of your herds and flocks, or whatever you have vowed to give, or your freewill offerings or special gifts
NIV

The fact is whether you willingly give your tithe or not it will still be collected from you. It's either you give it and receive its blessings or open yourselves to the devourer to take it from you.

Mal 3:8-11 (Amplified Version)

8 Will a man rob or defraud God? Yet you rob and defraud Me. But you say, In what way do we rob or defraud You? [You have withheld your] tithes and offerings.

9 You are cursed with the curse, for you are robbing Me, even this whole nation.

10 Bring all the tithes (the whole tenth of your income) into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and prove Me now by it, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

11 And I will rebuke the devourer [insects and plagues] for your sakes and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground, neither shall your vine drop its fruit before the time in the field, says the Lord of hosts.
AMP

I have seen people who refuse to give their tithe yet unavoidably use more than that sum to pay hospital bills.

A dear brother bought a new designer shirt with is tithe only to get it burnt when ironing the shirt. The devourer collects it in different ways. Others can't even account for the monies they spend, they spend foolishly.

As a christian you need to know that God's protection is over you but that hedge of protection can be easily broken by disobedience to God's word.

YOU DON'T HAVE ANY BUSINESS QUESTIONING HOW THE TITHE IS SPENT. IT BELONGS TO THE PASTOR OR PRIEST
If the man of God chooses to use it for any Project God has laid in your heart is not a subject of discussion.

Num 18:21

"Behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tithes in Israel as an inheritance in return for the work which they perform, the work of the tabernacle of meeting.
NKJV.

Neh 10:37
37 "Moreover, we will bring to the storerooms of the house of our God, to the priests, the first of our ground meal, of our [grain] offerings, of the fruit of all our trees and of our new wine and oil. And we will bring a tithe of our crops to the Levites, for it is the Levites who collect the tithes in all the towns where we work.
NIV

Am a christian like you (I believe you are ) and I have never regretted paying my tithe.

Most people that criticizes tithe are often poor because they have not allowed God to Prosper them.

Isa 1:19
19 If you will only let me help you, if you will only obey, then I will make you rich!
TLB

IT IS GOD'S DESIRE THAT WE PROSPER (HOW ELSE COULD WE REACH THE WHOLE WORLD WITHOUT MONEY)

3 John 2

2 Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in every way and [that your body] may keep well, even as [I know] your soul keeps well and prospers.
AMP
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by csharpjava(m): 12:23am On Apr 24, 2011
Thank you poster this is very informative.
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by Nobody: 12:32am On Apr 24, 2011
PLENTYNAIR

You need to read my post again .
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by Nobody: 7:03am On Apr 24, 2011
@PLENTYNAIR,
You need to stop underlining passages in the bible,taking them out of the context in which they were made,and then using them to support your blind arguement.
My question remains why all these taxes on poor members of the congregation and why the craze by pastors to accumulate wealth from tithes,first fruits and all kinds of duplication of collections.
Jesus Christ who is the foundation of the church was anti wealth during his ministry so what are we talking about here?
See St Luke chpt 10 v1-7
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by PLENTYNAIR(m): 6:57pm On Apr 24, 2011
Richvkunt:

@PLENTYNAIR,
You need to stop underlining passages in the bible,taking them out of the context in which they were made,and then using them to support your blind arguement.
My question remains why all these taxes on poor members of the congregation and why the craze by pastors to accumulate wealth from tithes,first fruits and all kinds of duplication of collections.
Jesus Christ who is the foundation of the church was anti wealth during his ministry so what are we talking about here?
See St Luke chpt 10 v1-7

What are these purported Taxes you are talking about? Please Outline them.

What is Anti-wealth about the scripture you gave?

Luke 10:1-7

10:1 After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come.

2 Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.

3 Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves.

4 Carry neither purse, nor scrip, nor shoes: and salute no man by the way.

5 And into whatsoever house ye enter, first say, Peace be to this house.

6 And if the son of peace be there, your peace shall rest upon it: if not, it shall turn to you again.

7 And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.
KJV

All scripture has references. Without studying also the scripture reference you cannot get a full picture of the subject in question.

Jesus was not telling them they should not be wealthy but that their trust and faith should be in God who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all they could ever ask for or think rather than trusting in uncertain riches.

The above scripture also tells us that the provision is in the calling. God cares about our affairs and if our faith is in him we will not be disappointed. He is not unjust to forget the labour of our love in His vineyard.

Matt 6:28-34

28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32(For after all these things do the Gentiles seeksmiley for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
KJV

@MrBible
In my opinion I think hindering a congregation to give their tithes or firstfruit is defrauding them of what God has for them.

Why not put it to test. Give your tithes, firstfruit and offerings as instructed in the scriptures and prove God.

I GIVE MY TITHES EVEN IN TIGHT SITUATIONS AND I HAVE NEVER REGRETTED IT!
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by Nobody: 7:35pm On Apr 24, 2011
@PLENTYNAIR,
The bible passage I quoted is self explanatory.Christians are susposed to go into the world to win souls for Christ and not go out with the primary objective of accumulating money for themselves. I can point out many passages in the bible where Jesus admonishes his followers and disciples to put wealth as a secondary objective,while the primary objective is to win souls and spread the gospel.
Our modern pastors turn this around and put wealth ahead of winning souls and spreading the message:Prosperity preaching they call it,which is a method by which the congregation is levied with all kinds of taxes,in order for the ministers to live a flamboyant life.
Please see the following scriptures:
St Luke chapt 18 verse 18-25.
St Luke chapt16 v19-31.
St Luke chapt12 v13-21.
I wish to state that in the mad rush by pastors to collect all kinds of levies from their congregation they push them to commit crimes in their offices in order be able to pay tithes,first fruits amoung various levies,secondly do the pastors ever query the source of these funds?NO!
The primary objective of a true christian should be to win souls and spread the message of the gospel and not obscene accumulation of wealth in order to book the pastors next aeroplane or hummer Jeep.Thank you.
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by CHARLOE(m): 11:03pm On Apr 24, 2011
PLENTYNAIR:

It is better to Keep quiet in ignorance than exposing your ignorance and inability to learn from God's word.

With all due respect I think these are foolish talkings. It is not just quoting a part of the bible but studying the subject in question.

@MrBible

Who told you that Jewish Priests don't receive tithes and first-fruit AND WHO TOLD YOU THE APOSTLES DON'T OBSERVE TITHING?. These facts are verifiable if you will ask a committed member of such  denomination (I have sister who was in top leadership position in such Jewish Synagogue).

Deut 12:17
17 You must not eat in your own towns the tithe of your grain and new wine and oil, or the firstborn of your herds and flocks, or whatever you have vowed to give, or your freewill offerings or special gifts
NIV

The fact is whether you willingly give your tithe or not it will still be collected from you. It's either you give it and receive its blessings or open yourselves to the devourer to take it from you.

Mal 3:8-11 (Amplified Version)

8 Will a man rob or defraud God? Yet you rob and defraud Me. But you say, In what way do we rob or defraud You? [You have withheld your] tithes and offerings.

9 You are cursed with the curse, for you are robbing Me, even this whole nation.

10 Bring all the tithes (the whole tenth of your income) into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and prove Me now by it, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

11 And I will rebuke the devourer [insects and plagues] for your sakes and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground, neither shall your vine drop its fruit before the time in the field, says the Lord of hosts.
AMP

I have seen people who refuse to give their tithe yet unavoidably use more than that sum to pay hospital bills.

A dear brother bought a new designer shirt with is tithe only to get it burnt when ironing the shirt. The devourer collects it in different ways. Others can't even account for the monies they spend, they spend foolishly.

As a christian you need to know that God's protection is over you but that hedge of protection can be easily broken by disobedience to God's word.

YOU DON'T HAVE ANY BUSINESS QUESTIONING HOW THE TITHE IS SPENT. IT BELONGS TO THE PASTOR OR PRIEST
If the man of God chooses to use it for any Project God has laid in your heart is not a subject of discussion.

Num 18:21

"Behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tithes in Israel as an inheritance in return for the work which they perform, the work of the tabernacle of meeting.
NKJV.

Neh 10:37
37 "Moreover, we will bring to the storerooms of the house of our God, to the priests, the first of our ground meal, of our [grain] offerings, of the fruit of all our trees and of our new wine and oil. And we will bring a tithe of our crops to the Levites, for it is the Levites who collect the tithes in all the towns where we work.
NIV

Am a christian like you (I believe you are ) and I have never regretted paying my tithe.

Most people that criticizes tithe are often poor because they have not allowed God to Prosper them.

Isa 1:19
19 If you will only let me help you, if you will only obey, then I will make you rich!
TLB

IT IS GOD'S DESIRE THAT WE PROSPER (HOW ELSE COULD WE REACH THE WHOLE WORLD WITHOUT MONEY)

3 John 2

2 Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in every way and [that your body] may keep well, even as [I know] your soul keeps well and prospers.
AMP

@ Plentynair, the order of d levites is no more and there's no where in scripture where it says pastors are now levites/priests. we are all priests nd Jesus is our one and only high priest. Stop twisting scriptures and making assumptions. There're millions of pple that dont pay/give tithe in dis nigeria and are doing very well, far better than you and all those who always claim 'its working 4 me'. well, not paying tithes is working 4 those pple as well, abi?
   B4 i go pls u and all tithes proponents shld plz answer d question: who did Jesus and his disciple collect tithes from?
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by PLENTYNAIR(m): 12:07am On Apr 25, 2011
Tithes and First-fruit came even before the Levitehood or the Law

@Richvkunt

True the ultimate task of christianity is "Go ye into the world and make disciples of all nations" (Soul Winning).

But I still think criticizing pastors is way off the track especially if you have not had the opportunity of being a member and understanding the vision of such denominations.

What I am saying is most times we know too little of other ministries and it is not so wise speak against men of God (If they are really anointed).

Your feeling is well shared

Thanks.
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by ogajim(m): 1:10am On Apr 25, 2011
^^^Plentynair, you seem to be either full of air or dudu with those submissions of yours which can only lead the SANE Christian mind to conclude that you're either a pastor benefiting from this SCAM or a zombiefied worshipper in one of these business centers they call "church".

Fela warned us about these "gangsters" in "coffin for head of state" and we ignored his warnings because we thought he had no idea what he was talking about, Now you take the Bible and quote it out of context to justify a scam, show me the Malachi verse that was addressed to today's Christian as opposed to Priests and or Levites.

Now you danced away from the "tithe by/from law", Deuteronomy tithe was to be taken to the Temple and eaten plus the other different forms which NO ONE with no Livestock or crops paid, Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was the ultimate sacrifice to reconcile God and man removing the need for a "middle man" between God and man, hope this helps my brother.
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by Nobody: 1:12am On Apr 25, 2011
@PLENTYNAIR,
I disagree.
I do not have to be a member of a denomination or a pastor to point out a wrong if I see one.
I feel the church will be better served if so called men of God utilise the tremendous funds collected,for the benefit of the poor and needy members of their congregation.
Such funds could be given to motherless babies homes.
Such funds could be given to beggars.
Such funds could be given to the blind.
Such funds could be used to rehabilitate the mentally challenged.
INSTEAD;
Such funds are used in buying designer suits and dresses for Daddy and Mummy Pastor.
Such funds are used in buying aircrafts.
Such funds are used in buying vehicles of different types.
Such funds are used to maintain a life of flamboyance.

These are contrary to the teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ who was so humble that he rode on an donkey into Jerusalem,BUT he could have rode ona CHARIOT if he wanted to,but that would have been contrary to his mission!
The foundation of the church is Christ,and because we emulate him we are called Christians,so any pastor who lives contrary to the ethics and foundation of Christianity will continue to recieve an ear bashing from me.
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by Enigma(m): 7:56am On Apr 25, 2011
@Richvkunt

The ministry has more important needs than to be spending money on widows, orphans, beggars, deaf and dumb and what nots?

The ministry needs to buy a private jet or 6 so that they can spread the gospel.

The ministry needs to build the biggest auditorium in the world to showcase the glory of god.

The ministry needs to buy a fleet of luxurious cars so that the man of god can travel in convoy and thereby show the world that god is a god of prosperity.

The ministry needs to buy lots and lots of designer clothes for the man of god because if you preach prosperity, people must see the evidence of prosperity on the man of god himself; after all, Jesus laid the example with his own designer robe.

Also why should members of the church give directly to the poor (even though this is what Jesus said they should do); don't you know that the anointing into which you sow determines the size of your harvest?

And don't you know that today's men of god know better than Jesus, can do bigger miracles than Jesus and are in fact more anointed than Jesus?
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by dare2think: 8:51am On Apr 25, 2011
99.9% of Nigerian Pastors are Frauds,
They feed on the ignorance, angst and expectations of people.

Oyedepo has been preaching prosperity for years, HOW MANY PEOPLE IN HIS CONGREGATION HAS JETS?

A critical mind should then wonder, who then is being prospered?

something is wrong with the average Nigerian PSYCHE. Poverty and Exposure plays a big role.

very sad. cry
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by Nobody: 9:00am On Apr 25, 2011
@Enigma,
Thanks for the enlightenment.
Pastor(s),I am sorry.
Keep up the GOOD work.
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by Enigma(m): 9:05am On Apr 25, 2011
;d ;d ;d
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by jamace(m): 4:45am On Apr 27, 2011
@Richvkunt

The ministry has more important needs than to be spending money on widows, orphans, beggars, deaf and dumb and what nots?

The ministry needs to buy a private jet or 6 so that they can spread the gospel.

The ministry needs to build the biggest auditorium in the world to showcase the glory of god.

The ministry needs to buy a fleet of luxurious cars so that the man of god can travel in convoy and thereby show the world that god is a god of prosperity.

The ministry needs to buy lots and lots of designer clothes for the man of god because if you preach prosperity, people must see the evidence of prosperity on the man of god himself; after all, Jesus laid the example with his own designer robe.

Also why should members of the church give directly to the poor (even though this is what Jesus said they should do); don't you know that the anointing into which you sow determines the size of your harvest?

And don't you know that today's men of god know better than Jesus, can do bigger miracles than Jesus and are in fact more anointed than Jesus?
grin grin grin
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by Joagbaje(m): 10:05am On Apr 27, 2011
PLENTYNAIR:

Tithes and First-fruit came even before the Levitehood or the Law

TELL THEM

@Richvkunt
True the ultimate task of christianity is "Go ye into the world and make disciples of all nations" (Soul Winning).
Beautiful !

TELL THEM

But I still think criticizing pastors is way off the track especially if you have not had the opportunity of being a member and understanding the vision of such denominations.

BEAUTIFUL.! God bless you
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by KunleOshob(m): 10:13am On Apr 27, 2011
@richvkunt&Joagbaje

Contrary to your assertions that soul winning is the greatest task of christianity, it is actually LOVE. Love for God and love for our fellow men. Jesus christ himself made it clear that the greatest christian mandate is to love you may wish to verify this in Matthew 22:35-38. Although some pastors such as Oyaks and Joagbaje assume they know better than christ himself.

1 Like

Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by Joagbaje(m): 10:38am On Apr 27, 2011
^^^
mr oshob you have the idea of Christianity wrong. I'm still praying and looking for best opportunity to discuss certain issues. The church duty to the world is not charity.the church is not a charity organisation. What we owe the world is the gospel.

Mark 16:15
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Acts 10:42
42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.

Acts 1:8
8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

The scriptures are too numerous but this is just to mention few.

Now the ideas of charity. Is our duty to one another in the body of christ but not our duty to the world or on the streets. We can do that when we have the chance but it is not our primary purpose. What we owe the world is the message of salvation. Jesus preach to the Jews in that light because they were all the seed of Abraham.

I agree love is the greatest revelation. We ought to walk in love among ourselves as Christians and help one another. That is in house. But externally what our primary duty to the world is to give them the gospel and bring them in.

We can share things with people but God expects us to share With the brethren in church first before going outside.

Galatians 6:10
10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by PastorAIO: 11:21am On Apr 27, 2011
Joagbaje seems to be talking to himself again. Forever praising his own posts written in disguise.

Joagbaje:

TELL THEM
Beautiful !

TELL THEM

BEAUTIFUL.! God bless you
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by Joagbaje(m): 11:26am On Apr 27, 2011
The guy has been on Nairaland since January 2009.  I came in end of the year . So if you have no good thing to contribute dude. Simply leave your computer alone.
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by Nobody: 12:55pm On Apr 27, 2011
so right!
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by KunleOshob(m): 1:56pm On Apr 27, 2011
@joagbaje
Your opinion doesn't matter Jesus clearly stated what the greatest mandate of christianity is and that is LOVE. The fact that you find it difficult to fulfil this mandate of christ does not mean you should substitute it with what you prefer. Granted Jesus mandated his followers to preach the gospel but you cannot be his true follower in the first instance if you don't obey his greatest commandment which is love. And it is a false notion that christian love should be limited to believers, we are mandated to love non believers as well. If you understand the parable of the good samaritan, then this would become glaring to you. I won't debate the charity issue with you cause I never raised the issue in the first instance, but if you have the love of christ in you charitable causes would be second nature to you. No one would need to tell you.

1 Like

Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by ogajim(m): 1:57pm On Apr 27, 2011
Joagbaje:

^^^
mr oshob you have the idea of Christianity wrong. I'm still praying and looking for best opportunity to discuss certain issues.  The church duty to the world is not charity.the church is not a charity organisation. What we owe the world is the gospel.

Mark 16:15
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Acts 10:42
42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.

Acts 1:8
8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

The scriptures are too numerous but this is just to mention few.

Now the ideas of charity. Is our duty to one another in the body of christ but not our duty to the world or on the streets. We can do that when we have the chance but it is not our primary purpose. What we owe the world is the message of salvation.  Jesus preach to the Jews in that light because they were all the seed of Abraham.

I agree love is the greatest revelation. We ought to walk in love among ourselves as Christians and help one another. That is in house. But externally what our primary duty to the world is to give them the gospel and bring them in.

We can share things with people but God expects us to share With the brethren in church first before going outside.

Galatians 6:10
10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

Pastor JoAgbaje, Did you slip and fall on your keyboard or you actually typed the highlighted portion?

If the "Church" (I take this to mean CEC LLC/PLC/LTD) is not a "Charity" organization and don't owe the World any Charity then why do we need it? Is that message from Jesus Christ or "pastor Chris"?

Leave Kunle alone and repent before it's too late!
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by Tonyet1(m): 2:07pm On Apr 27, 2011
What a rebuttal from the thread. . .look at the sky it's a bird! no no no it's a kite!. . .no its an aeroplane.!  angry
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by ogajim(m): 2:44pm On Apr 27, 2011
Tonye-tithe aka Mr. Aeroplane (Boeing or Jumbo?) You came in time to rescue your fellow CECer who forgot Charity(which is LOVE) is the greatest commandment of all, even Pre K students know that.

You guys will make a good COMEDY group some day.
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by Tonyet1(m): 2:49pm On Apr 27, 2011
^^^^ angry angry angry
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by Joagbaje(m): 3:00pm On Apr 27, 2011
KunleOshob:

@joagbaje
Your opinion doesn't matter Jesus clearly stated what the greatest mandate of christianity is and that is LOVE. The fact that you find it difficult to fulfil this mandate of christ does not mean you should substitute it with what you prefer. Granted Jesus mandated his followers to preach the gospel but you cannot be his true follower in the first instance if you don't obey his greatest commandment which is love. And it is a false notion that christian love should be limited to believers, we are mandated to love non believers as well. If you understand the parable of the good samaritan, then this would become glaring to you. I won't debate the charity issue with you cause I never raised the issue in the first instance, but if you have the love of christ in you charitable causes would be second nature to you. No one would need to tell you.

How do you know my love walk  and my charity work. You don't know me to judge my commitment to helping people. If i share what I do, you will say it is boasting.  Kí lo fé kí n se?

The fact remains that evangelism is the primary responsibility of every christian.
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by KunleOshob(m): 3:21pm On Apr 27, 2011
@joagbaje

I have not contested that evangelism is the responsibility of every christian, however christ himself made it clear that love is the greatest mandate and not evangelism as you falsely claim.
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by ogajim(m): 3:21pm On Apr 27, 2011
^^^ If we weren't Christians, we might as well have stuck a fork in Pastor JoAgbaje now because he is DONE!
Re: Churhes That Collect Tithes And First Fruits Are All Thieves by EarsWide(m): 3:56pm On Apr 27, 2011
@Mr Jo

you said
How do you know my love walk and my charity work

It is true no one really knows.

However when you lie on these forum, when you claim to have raised a dead person, when you support a pastor having 4 planes in Nigeria - we have every right to judge you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Unbeliever Why Bother Be Good? / Jesus Christ Is Not God Almighty ! Proofs From Bible ! / Pastor Veronica : God Sent Me To Sleep With All Men For Fertility

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.