Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,460 members, 7,958,386 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 01:38 PM

How The Name Osogbo Was Formed - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How The Name Osogbo Was Formed (490 Views)

Photos From 2021 Osun Osogbo Festival / Muslims And Egungun Masquerade Clash In Osogbo (Video) / Huge Crowd At Osun-Osogbo Festival (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How The Name Osogbo Was Formed by Olusharp(m): 9:56am On Apr 29, 2021
How The Name Osogbo Came into being
'
In the times of fairies, witches and wizards, when magic flows within the human blood, - scratch that. I guess I sounded too mystical.

Many know Osogbo as the capital of Osun state, South West, Nigeria. A little research on Google will make you know Osogbo is the most popular town in Osun and of course the most developed (state capital influence.)

A handful will also know that when it comes to Electricity, Osogbo is one town in Nigeria that boast of stable power supply.

However, aside from the town being Osun state seat of power, it carries a story that is proof that the Yoruba people believe in the presence of mystical beings.

According to history, Osogbo has been in existence as early as Oduduwa period.

Oral narration claimed that Osogbo was founded by Osun River goddess.

Report revealed that Osogbo was coined out of two Yoruba words "Oso igbo" which in the English language means Wizard of the Forest.

The reason for the name according to report claimed the earlier settlers
surprisingly met a man at the River Osun river who they referred to as 'Wizard of the Forest' Oso igbo which led to the name Osogbo.

Osogbo today has grown from that thick forest into a town and a state capital.

It shares boundary with Ede, Ikirun, Ilesha, Egbedore, Ogbomosho and Iragbiji.

Source:

https://twitter.com/tour_luxe/status/1387672127470456833?s=20

Cc lalasticlala mynd44

1 Like

Re: How The Name Osogbo Was Formed by LeoThaGreat(m): 5:43pm On May 02, 2021
I always love to read about how names of places were formed

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Desert Dwellers Of Nigeria: The Wodaabe Tribe / I’ll Send Corrupt Nigerians To Kirikiri – Buhari / Is This Habit Justifiable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.