Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,761 members, 7,820,650 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 (48158 Views)

Ikelebe Junior Secondary School Floors Others In Edo North To Win ASCI Inter Sch / Helicopter Drops Nigerian Law School's Exam Papers / Throwback Picture Of A 1946 History Exam Question Paper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by uglodoh(f): 12:58pm On Apr 30, 2021
JSS 2 and 3 students of nowadays can solve those maths questions.
Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by Entayali: 1:03pm On Apr 30, 2021
Amotolongbo:
I could solve majority of these questions when I was in the equivalent class, JSS 2.
Liar
Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by seyz91(m): 1:03pm On Apr 30, 2021
10/100

farem:
How many graduates of nowadays can attempt these papers successfully?
Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by Daradared2(f): 1:08pm On Apr 30, 2021
what is the age bracket then. if i can guess 20yrs, our 20yr old now can answer the question. but that if social media has not tking thier mind sha...
Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by MYGRATEskillz(m): 1:08pm On Apr 30, 2021
1942? the lettering is so modern. well, printing began as far back as the 1400s
Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by femi4: 1:09pm On Apr 30, 2021
farem:
Haba, this is lower than WAEC standard. Maybe jss will struggle with it, definitely not SS
Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by Entayali: 1:11pm On Apr 30, 2021
inumidun2010:
That's a HUGE INSULT... Loads of BASIC 6 children will solve that.... It's NOTHING
I've thought a JS2 class Mathematics and very few students will be able to answer this.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by b3llo(m): 1:12pm On Apr 30, 2021
tommy589:

The standard of education now is actually higher. Let me limit my understanding to primary and secondary education that I only had opportunity of acquiring.

For you to see it differently,you will need to go through primary and secondary books of today and the volume of works schools give students weekly. You may find most of them not to be good in current affairs or read outside their school books,but their standard is way higher.

I remember Daily Times newspaper used to have an editorial "This day in history" it was about republishing same day editorial they printed decades ago. I read one printed in the 1930s,it was this complain falling standard of education. That falling standard complained in the 30s produced China Achebe, Wole Soyinka and multitudes of international award winning professionals

Fyi, what Op posted is not from that time. Mathematics was divided into three parts then not one that we have now. Algebra, Geometry and Arithmetic were treated differently,and not the mixed up posted
Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by Entayali: 1:13pm On Apr 30, 2021
MYGRATEskillz:
1942? the lettering is so modern. well, printing began as far back as the 1400s
I thought about it but maybe it was reprinted

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by Yankee101: 1:18pm On Apr 30, 2021
I pity Google generation

You used to carry Google in your head

Exams, grading etc have been dumbed down

That's why a primary 7 graduate could lead companies, speak good English and require only on the job training. Today university graduates are unemployable
Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by kernniejay(m): 1:31pm On Apr 30, 2021
I have discovered lately that your performance in school does not determine how successful you will become in life. The world has revolved from "what grade did you have" to "what can you do?"

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by ProfAmaben(m): 1:32pm On Apr 30, 2021
farem:

What is hard here? Just say that it's difficult for you to solve.
Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by inumidun2010(m): 1:33pm On Apr 30, 2021
Entayali:

I've thought a JS2 class Mathematics and very few students will be able to answer this.

And I've also taught a 8year old kid private lesson who gained admission into Jss1 from primary 4... TENIOLA (her name) doesn't use her hand to write when solving ARITHMETIC.. Just pretend you want to tell her the ANSWER, She'll just fix her eyes on you and tell you to wait ..... Next thing you'll hear is the ANSWER..
Her only PROBLEM is that she can't read for long hours... Her ASSIMILATING POWER is top notch... Once she's done with whatsoever you give her... Next thing is SPONGE BOB...

I've met EXCEPTIONAL KIDS oooooo... Kids that I PRAY to GOD to have... There's this stubborn but BRILLIANTLY LOADED boy I use to BUY SNACKS for then telling GOD inside me I want to HAVE a CHILD like him....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by Powersurge: 1:35pm On Apr 30, 2021
farem:

What are you talking about? Graduate?
Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by hstar: 1:36pm On Apr 30, 2021
i'm coming back to read
Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by Glycosunde: 1:40pm On Apr 30, 2021
Amotolongbo:
Let us be sincere here bro, is that if the schools in those days could have this same percentage of students we have now, would they have the pass percentage they did have then?

Education has deteriorated today, but we don’t have to put the blame on our present generation students and exalt the older ones.
There are lazy students in this generation as there were lazy students in earlier generation also. The difference is just that the lazy ones in the earlier generation won’t even be allowed to attend school unlike this ours where the lazy ones will be forced to attend school

And another way you can look at it is that most of our politicians today are in that category, so let him tell us what they used their educational prowess to do. Most of the politicians enjoyed the best education Nigeria could offer but they don't want this generation to enjoy even half of that. Nigerians are brilliant and it shows when they go out into saner climes. Imagine someone that graduated with a 3rd class being the best student in university abroad

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by Nobody: 1:42pm On Apr 30, 2021
E choke shocked
Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by Timijo(m): 1:43pm On Apr 30, 2021
farem:

A harmless question was asked and you can provide any answer but this epistle.
Go ask them ; many of their junior ones are still being helped by contracted home teachers when they are still idle, doing nothing. It boils down to the fact that, they can't really/successfully prepare their junior ones for common JS 3 (Junior WAEC)

How many application letters have I received from them? The worst comes when you ask them to write it in your presence- It is not about speaking English. That doesn't require a bit of education to come by
This generation is not dumb because education has gone beyond the acquisition of writing and reading skills. It is not also based on students' abilities to solve complex mathematical problems without knowing their applications in science and technology.
You need to understand that the 20th-century labour market demands are different from this 21st-century labour market demands. In the 20th century, the demands were the abilities to read, write and speak fluent English. Because of this, the curriculum offered in schools provided these skills for school graduates to fit into the labour market. But nowadays, the demands are so high. Companies and recruiters are not only looking for graduates who can only read, write and speak English fluently. They need people with high critical and creative thinking skills, collaboration and teaming skills, interpersonal skills, social and civic responsibility skills, accountability skills to mention but a few. You will agree with me that in Nigeria today we have youths who are very skilful in programming, software development, graphic designs, drama and arts and those in the entertainment industry are doing well too. Our graduates in the past could speak good English, write well and solve complex mathematical problems but they are limited when it comes to handling complex machines. Many lecturers in our universities today are still struggling to use computers and projectors for effective learning in classrooms because they are products of the 20th-century education. Most standard private and public schools in Nigeria today are offering 21st-century life skills education to help graduates to handle daily life challenges and problems without giving up.
I have a lot to talk about this but I will rest my case here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by dpluscoster001: 1:45pm On Apr 30, 2021
very simple
Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by Timijo(m): 1:47pm On Apr 30, 2021
farem:

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by bragamycin: 1:52pm On Apr 30, 2021
farem:
These were exam questions in1946 for 'Middle IV' which is the equivalent of JS2 now, I believe. I wonder how many of our graduates now could pass these exams easily. No wonder our secondary school leavers of the past could think deeper and ask questions better than many p
I think we need to restructure our educational system to aim at bringing out people at all levels that can create jobs. Not just job-seekers.

Source:

https://www./nigeriannostalgiaproject/permalink/5843039259070141/[color=#990000][/color]

With their so called intelligent questions, the best they could do for the present generation is to destroy the economy Nd give us lifeless leaders

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by Fiscus105(m): 1:54pm On Apr 30, 2021
Komu1048:

I'm sure you are not a teacher, I took JSS when I was a teacher and my student will solve it. Perhaps I should post my JSS 2 question paper here

I insist and I'm 100% sure of what I'm saying, to proof me wrong, save the questions and give it to 10 different higher institution graduates, (university, poly, nce etc) come back and give us ur findings.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by ukaface(f): 1:56pm On Apr 30, 2021
I just dey look the questions like say I no go secondary school.
Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by Excell3nt: 2:01pm On Apr 30, 2021
farem:
speak for yourself
Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by Fiscus105(m): 2:02pm On Apr 30, 2021
Timijo:
This generation is not dumb because education has gone beyond the acquisition of writing and reading skills. It is not also based on students' abilities to solve complex mathematical problems without knowing their applications in science and technology.
You need to understand that the 20th-century labour market demands are different from this 21st-century labour market demands. In the 20th century, the demands were the abilities to read, write and speak fluent English. Because of this, the curriculum offered in schools provided these skills for school graduates to fit into the labour market. But nowadays, the demands are so high. Companies and recruiters are not only looking for graduates who can only read, write and speak English fluently. They need people with high critical and creative thinking skills, collaboration and teaming skills, interpersonal skills, social and civic responsibility skills, accountability skills to mention but a few. You will agree with me that in Nigeria today we have youths who are very skilful in programming, software development, graphic designs, drama and arts and those in the entertainment industry are doing well too. Our graduates in the past could speak good English, write well and solve complex mathematical problems but they are limited when it comes to handling complex machines. Many lecturers in our universities today are still struggling to use computers and projectors for effective learning in classrooms because they are products of the 20th-century education. Most standard private and public schools in Nigeria today are offering 21st-century life skills education to help graduates to handle daily life challenges and problems without giving up.

I stopped reading ur epistle where you wrote.....high critical thinking, I stopped because I discovered you mixed it up and confusing yourself just because you wanted to win an argument. going by ur analysis, I think the critical thinking u re talking about has in the root from the type of mathematics they posted, the type of questions you need to think critically and not necessary methods or formulas to reach conclusion.
Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by taiwotimitt: 2:04pm On Apr 30, 2021
farem:

No be everybody dull like you na
Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by Neddyogu(m): 2:07pm On Apr 30, 2021
U think these questions are difficult? Comman see quantitative reasoning questions that my nephew brought home the other day, the thing nearly made us run loco. For primary school oo

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by Timijo(m): 2:15pm On Apr 30, 2021
Fiscus105:

I stopped reading ur epistle where you wrote.....high critical thinking, I stopped because I discovered you mixed it up and confusing yourself just because you wanted to win an argument. going by ur analysis, I think the critical thinking u re talking about has in the root from the type of mathematics they posted, the type of questions you need to think critically and not necessary methods or formulas to reach conclusion.

Mathematics is not the only subject that provides critical thinking skills. All the schools' subjects can be used to develop critical thinking skills in learners. It only depends on how they are used by teachers and that is why we have open questions and close questions in education. Teachers who want to foster critical thinking skills in their students often use open questions. You need to understand the four C's 21st century skills.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by ilemona4u: 2:16pm On Apr 30, 2021
Timijo:
I would have really loved for you to continue. Am really enjoying this piece. As an unemployed young graduate, this is the best thing I have read this year

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by Lordbinsmar: 2:16pm On Apr 30, 2021
I solved questions with higher complexity than this when I did junior waec in JSS 2.

OP please don't use your standard to judge others. If you are not a smart student, don't use your case to generalize others.

During the period of lock down, I taught a 9years old JSS1 student some topics in mathematics and he can solve questions with more complexity than this conveniently.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by MrMacinterchi1: 2:21pm On Apr 30, 2021
bobbina:
The truth is that you can not give what you don’t have.
The exam questions were set in respect of what the students were thought in class. If you teach an average student with the syllabus covering those topics, the student can attempt and possibly pass very well after studying hard.
Now it’s left for the government to employ such standard of teachers they had those days in our schools. Give them quality training and adequate welfare and you will see the students doing more than you can imagine.
this is true.
Re: Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 by farem: 2:25pm On Apr 30, 2021
taiwotimitt post=101259047[s:
]

No be everybody dull like you na
[/s]

Who let the dog � out?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

(photos): UNN Female Graduate Dies A Day After Jubiliating About 2015 / Kinds Of People You Will Encounter In The University / DMGS: The Oldest Secondary School In Igboland (Then And Now Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.