Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,643 members, 7,816,646 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

Anambra Guber:PDP clears Ekwunife,15 Others Cites Zoning As Key To Victory - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra Guber:PDP clears Ekwunife,15 Others Cites Zoning As Key To Victory (818 Views)

PDP Clears All 3 Senate Seats In Kaduna / ANALYSIS: Will APC Settle For Zoning As 2023 Draws Closer? / Umahi’s Defection: PDP Dodges Zoning As APC Woos Ugwuanyi, Ikpeazu, Obiano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra Guber:PDP clears Ekwunife,15 Others Cites Zoning As Key To Victory by Handsomecole(m): 6:20am On May 01, 2021
Kenneth Udeh,Abuja

Ahead of the forthcoming Anambra State Governorship election slated for November 6, Frontline candidate of the People's Democratic Party (PDP) and current Senator representing Anambra Central, Senator Uche Ekwunife has been declared qualified by the PDP to contest the party's primary governorship election.

This is following the report of the PDP's Screening Committee that scrutinized all the 16 governorship aspirants for the June 6 primary election after it submitted its report on Wednesday, which cleared all the aspirants.

Furthermore, the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the PDP has also approved the appointment of the Edo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseke, as the chairman of the e-registration planning committee.

The screening committee was headed by the former Governor of Kogi State, Mr. Idris Wada.

The PDP in its report identified zoning arrangement as key to winning the Gubernatorial seat stating that zoning superseded partisan politics. It also observed that these aspirants were willing to receive advice from its leadership to prune down their numbers.

Asides Ekwunife ,15 aspirants were cleared to contest for the primaries also it its report the party confirmed that 13 aspirants hail from Anambra South Senatorial district and they include; Senator Uche Ekwunife, Godwin Chukwunenye Ezeemo Valentine Chineto, Ozigbo Chris Emeka Azubogu ,Okeke Walter Ubaka, Chidi Alexandra Onyemelukwe, Winston Ndubueze Udeh, Dr. Okwenna Ifedi Andrew, Maduka Godwin , Sen. (Dr.) Ugochukwu Bertram Uba ,Etiaba Emeka Benson, SAN and Hon. Nzeribe Marcellinus Chukwumaeze.

While Dr. Nwoye Tony Okechukwu hailed from Anambra North while two aspirants namely High Chief Obiora Okonkwo Ph.D and Hon. Mrs. Ekwochi Genevieve hailed from Anambra central respectively.

The National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Mr. Kola Ologbondiyan, confirmed that all the aspirants that purchased the governorship forms were given clearance by the screening committee.

According to the report documents presented by the former two term house of representatives member and current two term Senator include; Party membership card, 3. INEC voters card , Evidence of financial contribution to the party, Certificate of origin ,Birth Certificate/ Declaration of age, Income Tax / Clearance Receipts, Master of Business Administration (MBA), West African Examination Certificate (WAEC), Bachelor of Science (BSc) Degree Certificate and the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) certificate

Also Speaking in a brief interview with the daily Sun shortly after her clearance, the Anambra said that her Senatorial achievements and years of experience in public service are reasons she would become the next Governor of Anambra State.

In her words;

"The people will vote for me because they know me and I know them. I have always been part and parcel of the people. This time around the people need someone that they know and understand. I schooled and worked here in this state all through the years of my life.

"I was at the House of Representatives from 2007 -2015 and I was elected as a Senator in 2015, I was there briefly where I was chairman of the Senate committee on downstream and that was the first time a woman and Southeastern will be occupying that position.

"Then I left as a result of the judgement of the court which I believe was as a result of judicial rascality. I re contested and won in 2019 currently I am chairman of the Senate committee on science and technology.

For the fact that my people have been voting for me consistently since 2007 till date testifies that I am working for them.

"Anambra is a very interesting state , and the people will always support you when you're performing according to their expectations and when you're not doing well the people will not support you.

"So because I am doing well they will vote for me and my works over the years will speak for me and they say that to whom much is given much is expected.

"Anambra currently needs an experienced administrator , Anambrarians need someone who understands the state and the people. The people need someone who understands the challenges confronting the state. Also, I am confident that I will be the best Governor Anambra has ever produced because I will be fair, just and most importantly govern with empathy. She concluded.

The Screening Committee was made up of five persons, namely: H.E Capt. Idris Wada (Rtd) Chairman, Sen. Ehigie Uzamere-Member, Hon. Jones Onyereri-Member,Hon. Mrs Martha Bodunrin-Member,Hon Chief.Ugwu James (South East Zonal Secretary) -Member/Secretary .

The PDP in its report identified zoning arrangement as key to winning the Gubernatorial seat stating that zoning superseded partisan politics. It also observed that these aspirants were willing to receive advice from its leadership to prune down their numbers.

In its recommendation the party suggested the setting up set-up of a three or five man panel to look into the zoning arrangement and other key Issues to ensure election victory.

It also advised that the leadership of the party outside Anambra State who have been engaging with the aspirants should immediately assist in advising these aspirants on the need to trim down their numbers and further assist in distributing other key positions of government. The party emphasised that the move will create an environment for them to work as a team in order to achieve its objectives.

The committee also proposed that the National Working Committee should ensure that all serving PDP Governors together with former Governor Peter Obi mobilize effectively all the stakeholders including the electorates in Anambra State in order to achieve victory for our party come November 2021 election.

It also recommended the South-East party leaders should parley with all the delegates, cautioning them against collecting money from candidates stating that If anyone caught will be disqualified from voting and shall be suspended from the party.

The committee also identified the importance of the participation of its party leaders in the forth-coming INEC registration exercise to ensure that the party is not short-changed at any point by any unforeseen element.

Earlier ,Ologbondiyan, who briefed newsmen after the 91st NEC meeting, said that the NEC also received reports on the e-registration of members as the NWC announced.

He said that the membership of the committee set up to conduct the e-registration exercise consisted of Obaseki, who would serve as its chairman while his Adamawa State counterpart, Governor Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri, was appointed to serve as the deputy chairman.

Ologbondiyan explained that the statutory members of the committee are the National Organising Secretary, National Treasurer, National Financial Secretary, Deputy National Secretary and the National Publicity Secretary.

The National Publicity Secretary said that nominations would be taken from the Board of Trustees, the National Assembly, Forum of State Chairmen as well as the youth and women demography of the party.

He also said that the NEC unanimously passed a vote of confidence on the National Chairman, Mr. Uche Secondus, as well as the member of the National Working Committee (NWC).

According to Ologbondiyan, the NEC further cautioned party members at all levels to be wary of agents of distractions and division while praising the effort of the NWC for being focused and purpose driven in piloting the affairs of the party.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/anambra-guber-pdp-clears-okonkwo-ekwunife-ozigbo-13-other-aspirants-for-june-26-primaries/

Re: Anambra Guber:PDP clears Ekwunife,15 Others Cites Zoning As Key To Victory by Dagah2: 6:28am On May 01, 2021
Sunnews made Sen. Ekwunife the focal point but we will make Dr. Mmaduka the winner.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Guber:PDP clears Ekwunife,15 Others Cites Zoning As Key To Victory by Pmpm: 7:17am On May 01, 2021
Mtcheww
Re: Anambra Guber:PDP clears Ekwunife,15 Others Cites Zoning As Key To Victory by nzeobi(m): 8:05am On May 01, 2021
Dagah2:
Sunnews made Sen. Ekwunife the focal point but we will make Dr. Mmaduka the winner.

I doubt ekwunife but don't rule out a dark horse
Re: Anambra Guber:PDP clears Ekwunife,15 Others Cites Zoning As Key To Victory by Nobody: 8:15am On May 01, 2021
Since Anambra left the era of career politicians rulling its affairs, it has been doing great..

It would be unwise to go back to that era..

1 Like

Re: Anambra Guber:PDP clears Ekwunife,15 Others Cites Zoning As Key To Victory by Penguin2: 9:30am On May 01, 2021
nzeobi:

I don't think ekwunife but don't rule out a dark horse

Ekwunife is PDP’s best chance against a strong candidate like Soludo.

Meanwhile, PDP throwing its ticket open in Anambra without insisting it’s the turn of Anambra South, is a prelude of what is to come at the centre.

PDP will throw the ticket open for every aspirant from every part of the country to contest the presidential ticket.
Re: Anambra Guber:PDP clears Ekwunife,15 Others Cites Zoning As Key To Victory by nzeobi(m): 1:20pm On May 01, 2021
Penguin2:

Ekwunife is PDP’s best chance against a strong candidate like Soludo.

Meanwhile, PDP throwing its ticket open in Anambra without insisting it’s the turn of Anambra South, is a prelude of what is to come at the centre.

PDP will throw the ticket open for every aspirant from every part of the country to contest the presidential ticket.

That she won a closely contested Senate election with Peter Obi also on the ballot the VP of her party same day doesn't really make her that strong and formidable
Re: Anambra Guber:PDP clears Ekwunife,15 Others Cites Zoning As Key To Victory by TotoGame(m): 2:50pm On May 01, 2021
nzeobi:

That she won a closely contest Senate election with Peter Obi also on the ballot same day doesn't really make her that strong

She won peter obi....when ??

(1) (Reply)

Geidam Chairman Weeps, Blames Military For Boko Haram Invasion / Suspected IPOB Burns Down Police Station-photos / President Buhari Should Resign, Dementia State Getting Worst

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.