Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,313 members, 7,954,253 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:27 PM

Bad Governance In Nigeria: Who Takes The Most Blame? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bad Governance In Nigeria: Who Takes The Most Blame? (194 Views)

Babajide Sanwo-olu Takes The COVID-19 Vaccine / If You Were Opportuned To Choose A President For Nigeria, Who Would You Pick? / How Makinde Is Bringing Professionalism To Governance In Oyo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bad Governance In Nigeria: Who Takes The Most Blame? by IamNumeroUno: 3:57pm On May 04, 2021
Here I sit again, in my thinking chair, reflecting on the current challenges facing Nigeria, especially in terms of leadership. Since independence, Nigeria has had a cumulative of 24 years of Democratic rule. In those 24 years, we have had five presidents elected through a democratic process; elections. Whether the elections were credible or not is a question for another day. These leaders who were "elected" by the people each at various times promised so much and gave the people so much hopes, but like packs of cards, those hopes have come crashing, shattering every dream of good governance with little or no real hope in sight.

Politicians are just a tiny part of the problem . It's a whole swamp out there; the media, religious leaders, the judiciary, security & law enforcement agencies, big corporations, etc are all parts of the problem.

In this reflection, I focused on just three players and factors that may have contributed to this decline in leadership, out of a plethora of factors and reasons.

Who do you think should take the most blame in the woes that have plagued Nigeria?

1. The Corporate Media, whether print, electronics or Digital: If you are familiar with the "Agenda Setting Theory", then you would have a comprehensive view of the important roles the media play in governance and elections.
The media are the most powerful tool for shaping and or swaying public opinions.
"The press and the media do not reflect reality; they filter and shape it; media concentration on a few issues and subjects leads the public to perceive those issues as more important than other issues" - Dr. Max McCombs.

Often times, we hear people blame the citizens for the bad leadership, accusing the people of wrongful choices. But how can the people make informed decisions with the Paid media constantly bombarding them with their choice of right candidates instead of the actual right choices?
The media which are supposed to stand with the people, rather side with the corporations and politicians in exchange for adverts and sponsorship.
Should the media be blamed?

2. Religious Leaders: Nigeria is a predominantly two religion country, with Christians being the dominant force (this is debatable) and Nigerians believed to respect, trust and obey their religious leaders, irrespective of the circumstances. In Nigeria, if you question one's religious leader, it is akin to challenging one's God. With this power wielded by religious teachers, powers which the politicians recognize and identify with accordingly, religious leaders play very prominent roles in deciding who becomes Nigerian leader. This is proven by photos of past leaders visiting churches and mosques, whether they believed in that religion or not. Politicians would do anything to have powers. But should our religious leaders always do their bindings? We have seen Buhari in churches, Obasanjo in mosques. We have seen how active Tunde Bakare is in politics, same as Ejike Mbaka, Gumi, Sultan of Sokoto, MURIC leader et al.
In the course of elections, we have seen churches and mosques publicly declare support for or against candidates and mandated their followers to either vote for or against candidates, etc.
How in depth is the analysis of these religious leaders before endorsing candidates? Do you think they have selfishly led us astray? Should they be blamed?

The Electorates: Bad leaders are routinely voted into office by people whose interests they do not really represent.
Ironically, this system that makes it easier for the rich and harder for the poor is routinely voted into office by those who have a lot, but MOSTLY by those who have very little, the poor masses. During campaigns, politicians distribute branded morsels of grains of food, particularly rice and seasoning cubes. These items are most likely loved by the masses more than their futures. I was opportune to serve as a presiding officer in the 2015 general elections in Nigeria and boy oh boy, the locals would fling their suckling kids to struggle for these items. I witnessed what I thought was the lowest point of self worth. That was when I made up my mind about Nigeria, I gave up. The situation started before then and has continued ever since. Just recently, we read in the news about rice branded with Tinubu's signature in Kano, though, the "Jagaban" came out to deny it, but it sure looked like something he would do, just like other politicians. But in this reflection, I do not want to blame the politicians because we have all come to know them as the devils they are.
Do you think the people should do more? Do the people share in the most blame in deciding Nigeria's leadership?

Share your thoughts.

Seun, Mynd44, Lalasticlala.

(1) (Reply)

Exactly 11 Years Ago Umaru Musa Yar'adua / When Are We Going To Talk About Cbn Challenge? / Nigeria - Rethinking Diplomacy With The Postcolonial World - By John Campbell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.