Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,203 members, 7,822,053 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:42 AM

Silly Atheistic Arguments - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Silly Atheistic Arguments (121 Views)

American Girl's Silly Joke To American Airline / 10 Silly Things Girls Should Stop In 2017 / Silly things we did on 2go back then. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Silly Atheistic Arguments by Friend22(m): 10:38pm On May 04, 2021
Some atheistic arguments against religion are exceedingly simple to dismiss. For example, consider this common argument:

1. It is only rational to believe in something that has been empirically proven.
2. The claims of religion, such as the claim that God exists, are not empirically proven.
3. Therefore, it is irrational to believe in the claims of religions, such as the claim that God exists.

This argument finds its roots in a European philosophical school called Positivism. Contemporary philosophers, however, by and large do not take Positivism seriously and believe it to be a debunked school of thought. Why?

Because point 1 itself has not been empirically proven, i.e., there is no empirical proof that it is only rational to believe in something that has been empirically proven. Therefore point 1 is self-referentially inconsistent and false, and the argument fails.

Even though academic philosophy has long thrown Positivism in the trash bin, you still find laymen and popular personalities, e.g., “new atheists” like Sam Harris, using these types of arguments and appeals to science and empiricism to attack religion. But many of their arguments can’t stand up to simple logical scrutiny.

By Daniel Haqiqatjuo

My own comment on this is ,you have on nairaland some wannabe atheists who can not thread their argument coherently yet mouth off so many in consistencies and we have a band of lazy thinkers who just tag along.

Re: Silly Atheistic Arguments by etrange: 10:54pm On May 04, 2021
I don't really know why people (both theists and atheists) feel the need to go online and call others out. Though belief can be indoctrinated over time, it's hardly ever forced; calling out one another wouldn't lead to anything. An atheist who feels the need to always call out or criticise religious people isn't different from Christians who go around feeling superior and better than others or Muslims who think it's okay to hurt people in the name of Mohammed. On the other hand, a theist who feels the urge to always prove atheists wrong is most likely just feeling insecure in his own belief. It's understandable if these arguments come in specific scenarios where there's a clash of interests. In that case, the issue at hand would be the focus. Otherwise, I'd say live and let live.

Just an opinion.
Re: Silly Atheistic Arguments by falcon01: 11:29pm On May 04, 2021
You are right etrange all the grammar for what?? If you believe in God fine, if you don't fine! But mostly its the religious folks that keep rubbing on erbody's faces.
Re: Silly Atheistic Arguments by Friend22(m): 12:12am On May 05, 2021
etrange:
I don't really know why people (both theists and atheists) feel the need to go online and call other out. Though belief can be indoctrinated over time, it's hardly ever forced; calling out one another wouldn't lead to anything. An atheist who feels the need to always call out or criticise religious people isn't different from Christians who go around feeling superior and better than others or Muslims who think it's okay to hurt people in the name of Mohammed. On the other hand, a theist who feels the urge to always prove atheists wrong is most likely just feeling insecure in his own belief. It's understandable if these arguments come in specific scenarios where there's a clash of interests. In that case, the issue at hand would be the focus. Otherwise, I'd say live and let live.

Just an opinion.

Pseudo strawmaning.

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Adeboye’s Son Dies At 42 / Police, Okada Riders Clash Over Alleged Shooting Of Motorcyclist In Lagos / Today In History: Focus On Nnamdi Azikwe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.