Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,552 members, 7,823,438 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Does The CBN Know About This? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does The CBN Know About This? (1387 Views)

Us Dollar -to Naira Exchange Rate - Last 3 Governors Of The Cbn / Gombe Governor, Others Meet Emefiele At The CBN Headquarters / Does The President Have The Constitutional Power To Suspend The Chief Justice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The CBN Know About This? by booblacain(m): 4:12pm On May 05, 2021
I noticed some sms alerts on my phone yesterday night showing some money being debited from my account. I noticed the name PayPal written on the alert. So I called my bank immediately, took a long time for them to answer.

I made my complain to them and they told me that my atm card has been compromised and that I should make a request for the card to be blocked, wich I did.

After I finished speaking with customer care I checked how much has been deducted, and it was about 40k. I also decided to check my account statement via my app only to notice that the ~40k deduction (which I suspect was done in batches cause I received about 4 alerts) did not show up in the transaction history, though my balance was obviously reduced.

My question now is, should that be the case? How can money be removed from a customer's account and it will not show in the transaction history, even if the card was compromised?

So how will a bank carry out an investigation when the bank has no record or evidence that the money was removed in the first place except the reduction in balance.

I have bought items using PayPal before and the transaction reflected in the history. So why would someone else hack my card, use it to make purchase via PayPal, I get only sms alert but no record of the transaction with the bank?

Does the CBN know about this, that monies are being taken out of people's account without it being recorded by the bank?

UPDATE 06-05-2021:
I went to the bank today and got my statements of account. True to my suspicion, there is no record what so ever of those transactions. The bank does not even have any explanation for it, they just gave me a form to fill and said they will look into it, only God knows for how long or even if they ever will. Can you imagine 40k taken out of my meagre balance and the bank does not know if it even happened at all.

That is why I am asking, does the CNN even know that a thing like this is happening in banks?
Re: Does The CBN Know About This? by sweetonugbu: 4:57pm On May 05, 2021
Following
Re: Does The CBN Know About This? by AustineE1: 5:24pm On May 05, 2021
Request for the print out of your bank statement account from your bank,if the said transaction did not appear on it,then you take it up from there.

1 Like

Re: Does The CBN Know About This? by booblacain(m): 6:56pm On May 05, 2021
AustineE1:
Request for the print out of your bank statement account from your bank,if the said transaction did not appear on it,then you take it up from there.

That is exactly what I will be going to do tomorrow. I wanted to post it here just to find out first if it was normal for this to happen.
Re: Does The CBN Know About This? by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 8:18pm On May 05, 2021
booblacain:
I noticed some sms alerts on my phone yesterday night showing some money being debited from my account. I noticed the name PayPal written on the alert. So I called my bank immediately, took a long time for them to answer.

I made my complain to them and they told me that my atm card has been compromised and that I should make a request for the card to be blocked, wich I did.

After I finished speaking with customer care I checked how much has been deducted, and it was about 40k. I also decided to check my account statement via my app only to notice that the ~40k deduction (which I suspect was done in batches cause I received about 4 alerts) did not show up in the transaction history, though my balance was obviously reduced.

My question now is, should that be the case? How can money be removed from a customer's account and it will not show in the transaction history, even if the card was compromised?

So how will a bank carry out an investigation when the bank has no record or evidence that the money was removed in the first place except the reduction in balance.

I have bought items using PayPal before and the transaction reflected in the history. So why would someone else hack my card, use it to make purchase via PayPal, I get only sms alert but no record of the transaction with the bank?

Does the CBN know about this, that monies are being taken out of people's account without it being recorded by the bank?

Please never use your ATM card in POS machine, also do not put your ATM card in order Bank ATM machine. The truth of the matter always use your own Bank ATM machine. Some ATM machines do not have adequate security for other ATM card. Your transaction information can be copied and and they can deduct money anytime they like

1 Like

Re: Does The CBN Know About This? by nabiz(m): 8:31pm On May 05, 2021
booblacain:

i think you have been scammed by a fraudster. Are you sure the number you called as a costumer care is really your bank customer care
Re: Does The CBN Know About This? by boyjo: 8:36pm On May 05, 2021
SUFFERInSMILIIN:

Please never use your ATM card in POS machine, also do not put your ATM card in order Bank ATM machine. The truth of the matter always use your own Bank ATM machine. Some ATM machines do not have adequate security for other ATM card. Your transaction information can be copied and and they can deduct money anytime they like

If I think my Atm card has been compromised at a POS stand, will changing my Atm pin work?
I know u can change the card entirely though
Re: Does The CBN Know About This? by booblacain(m): 10:10pm On May 05, 2021
SUFFERInSMILIIN:

interestingly enough, I have never used that particular atm card on another bank's atm machine.
Re: Does The CBN Know About This? by booblacain(m): 10:11pm On May 05, 2021
nabiz:
i think you have been scammed by a fraudster. Are you sure the number you called as a costumer care is really your bank customer care

yes, it is my bank's customer care.
Re: Does The CBN Know About This? by booblacain(m): 4:35pm On May 06, 2021
I went to the bank today and got my statements of account. True to my suspicion, there is no record what so ever of those transactions. The bank does not even have any explanation for it, they just gave me a form to fill and said they will look into it, only God knows for how long or even if they ever will. Can you imagine 40k taken out of my meagre balance and the bank does not know if it even happened at all.

That is why I am asking, does the CNN even know that a thing like this is happening in banks?

1 Like

Re: Does The CBN Know About This? by Nobody: 5:33pm On May 06, 2021
Write them a mail and CC central bank
Re: Does The CBN Know About This? by booblacain(m): 12:23pm On May 14, 2021
nabiz:

those are unwise statements if he indeed made such statements about lagos. That still does not negate the fact that Yoruba neglected youths are the ones that destroyed lagos during end sars, they are the ones that went into the Oba' s palace to chase him out. Everybody knows this, even Tinubu knows this
Re: Does The CBN Know About This? by LordviccoDaGuru(m): 12:55pm On May 14, 2021
grin

(1) (Reply)

Afghanistan And Taliban / Video:fani Kayode Has 7 Pastor In His House, Praying4 His Presidential Ambitions / Nassarawa Governor Is BATified

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.