Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,758 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:56 PM

Javascript Or Typescript? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Javascript Or Typescript? (729 Views)

Javascript Or Typescript? / I Need Help In Integrating Biometric System On Website(javascript Or PHP) / Javascript Or PHP, Which One Should I Go For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Javascript Or Typescript? by Nobody: 2:04pm On May 06, 2021
Straight to the point.
For an aspiring front end guy that’s just fresh off HTML and css ; what would be the way to go?
Typescript is said to be the future; but is it advisable to jump straight into ts? Would there be any kind of disadvantage or constraint in the future if you don’t do vanilla js first?
Is ts as widely supported as js is?
Before I derail from the point; ts or js?

Qtguru
Karleb
Tansazengetsu20
Re: Javascript Or Typescript? by qtguru(m): 2:39pm On May 06, 2021
Rgade:
Straight to the point.
For an aspiring front end guy that’s just fresh off HTML and css ; what would be the way to go?
Typescript is said to be the future; but is it advisable to jump straight into ts? Would there be any kind of disadvantage or constraint in the future if you don’t do vanilla js first?
Is ts as widely supported as js is?
Before I derail from the point; ts or js?

Qtguru
Karleb
Tansazengetsu20

Learn JS First then after a long long time, pick up TS, I picked up TS later after JS because I hate surprises runtime errors, I like to be explicit as much as possible when I code.
Re: Javascript Or Typescript? by Karleb(m): 2:41pm On May 06, 2021
A YouTuber once said, people don't use Typescript because good guys always finish last. cheesy

Before you learn Typescript, know Javascript very well. Most Javascript developers don't use Typescript. Typescript is the reason most people don't like Angular, I guess. undecided

You can have an awesome JS career without using Typescript.

This is my take though.
Re: Javascript Or Typescript? by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 06, 2021
qtguru:

Learn JS First then after a long long time, pick up TS, I picked up TS later after JS because I hate surprises runtime errors, I like to be explicit as much as possible when I code.
So ts takes away some power from the programmer?
Re: Javascript Or Typescript? by Nobody: 3:14pm On May 06, 2021
Karleb:
A YouTuber once said, people don't use Typescript because good guys always finish last. cheesy

Before you learn Typescript, know Javascript very well. Most Javascript developers don't use Typescript. Typescript is the reason most people don't like Angular, I guess. undecided

This is my take though.
Wow so Js has to come b4 ts.
The hype about Typescript is too much these days; I thought why not go for the future.
And even better without the extra js route.
Re: Javascript Or Typescript? by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:17pm On May 06, 2021
Rgade:

Wow so Js has to come b4 ts.
The hype about Typescript is too much these days; I thought why not go for the future.
And even better without the extra js route.
Future is always hyped.

1 Like

Re: Javascript Or Typescript? by qtguru(m): 4:08pm On May 06, 2021
Rgade:

So ts takes away some power from the programmer?

No TypeScript makes your JavaScript typed, this allows your code to be self documented and the IDE can infer it's types and TS Compiler and Interfaces are also good for ensuring the contract for that method or class must be met. JavaScript it is easy to make a mistake, since it is loosed typed.

It is good for Large and Complex projects

1 Like

Re: Javascript Or Typescript? by qtguru(m): 4:17pm On May 06, 2021
Karleb:

This is my take though.

TypeScript is actually a must, if you are dealing with a Large and Complex project , however if you know JS very very well, then you can ensure you adopt a good JsDoc, but some of us like static typed languages and the TypeScript Compiler helps the IDE.

Angular is hated because of it's verbosity, you will write plenty code compared to Svelte or React
Re: Javascript Or Typescript? by bularuz(m): 7:31pm On Sep 01, 2021
What exactly is the difference between JavaScript and Typescript
Re: Javascript Or Typescript? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Sep 01, 2021
bularuz:
What exactly is the difference between JavaScript and Typescript
Typescript is a more reasonable superset of JavaScript. It’s just like JavaScript that behaves like a statically typed language and not the random garbage we know javascript to be.

1 Like

Re: Javascript Or Typescript? by qtguru(m): 8:59pm On Sep 01, 2021
Rgade:

Typescript is a more reasonable superset of JavaScript. It’s just like JavaScript that behaves like a statically typed language and not the random garbage we know javascript to be.

grin lol I feel the same way, I built a chrome extension in JS, and half the time it was silly mistakes holding me back, when TS would have saved all that and typing.

1 Like

Re: Javascript Or Typescript? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Sep 01, 2021
qtguru:

grin lol I feel the same way, I built a chrome extension in JS, and half the time it was silly mistakes holding me back, when TS would have saved all that and typing.
JS is such a shitty language tbh.
The way TS was warmly received and loved by the JS community just shows what JS devs have been suffering. Honestly I think everyone should move to TS.

(1) (Reply)

Smart Contract Programmer / Computer Science University Projects / Is There Anybody That Can Help Me Secure My Wireless Hotspot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.