Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,756 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

The Apple Project - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Apple Project (1024 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Apple Project by snipesdam(m): 8:32pm On May 06, 2021
They say this plant doesn't grow in tropical climate. Let's prove them wrong. After so many tries then I got a root... I may have gotten the hang of it. cool cool cool

Phase 1: Put the seeds in dormancy (winter) to activate embryo. Then it should grow a root.

Phase 2: Nursery (WIP)

Photo 1: The surprise root (after 4 long wks).

Photo 2: Roots grew longer ready for nursery transplant.

Photo 3: The transplant.

Re: The Apple Project by Nobody: 9:09pm On May 06, 2021
how do you plan on creating the winter condition they need for early development?
Re: The Apple Project by snipesdam(m): 9:18pm On May 06, 2021
ekerensima:
how do you plan on creating the winter condition they need for early development?

That's was phase 1. Refrigerator
Re: The Apple Project by Nobody: 9:50pm On May 06, 2021
snipesdam:

That's was phase 1. Refrigerator

ah!! we never quite got past that phase, we kept them there although expecting green sprouts but it all went south
Re: The Apple Project by snipesdam(m): 10:41pm On May 06, 2021
ekerensima:

ah!! we never quite got past that phase, we kept them there although expecting green sprouts but it all went south

Next time put dampen the paper towel or tissue with seeds inside. Put it in a tight container inside the freezer for 3wks+. Monitor at the end of each week. If no sprout, transfer container to a cool dark place for 5days and monitor.

To check for viable seeds put them in a bowl of water. Any seed that floats is bad, the sunken seeds are healthy.
Re: The Apple Project by Shyluck(m): 1:57am On May 07, 2021
It may still not bear fruit because/edible fruit (1) it may not be a tropical apple (2)It's parent might not have been grafted to an edible fruit tree.

The best way to propagate apple and other fruit trees is through cutting.
I wish you good luck
Re: The Apple Project by nurey(m): 12:03pm On May 07, 2021
Same thing I want to say, how would it fruit without the required weather conditions.

Apple can grow in JOS and some parts of Ogunstate due to the terrains ability to simulate winter weather.

Don't count your chickens yet sha until tree fruits grin
Re: The Apple Project by Onlinefarmstore: 9:15pm On May 07, 2021
Bros you are some what late.....I already grow apples in Nigeria, check out my profile
Re: The Apple Project by Attit: 5:48am On May 08, 2021
snipesdam:
They say this plant doesn't grow in tropical climate. Let's prove them wrong. After so many tries then I got a root... I may have gotten the hang of it. cool cool cool

Phase 1: Put the seeds in dormancy (winter) to activate embryo. Then it should grow a root.

Phase 2: Nursery (WIP)

Photo 1: The surprise root (after 4 long wks).

Photo 2: Roots grew longer ready for nursery transplant.

Photo 3: The transplant.
Which variety?
Re: The Apple Project by snipesdam(m): 7:07am On May 08, 2021
Attit:

Which variety?

You should know that any apple seed that grows and bears fruit would not give you same fruit or taste as main fruit which the seeds came from. The seeds always give a new variety. However, this seeds came from Fuji variety.
Re: The Apple Project by snipesdam(m): 7:12am On May 08, 2021
nurey:
Same thing I want to say, how would it fruit without the required weather conditions.

Apple can grow in JOS and some parts of Ogunstate due to the terrains ability to simulate winter weather.

Don't count your chickens yet sha until tree fruits grin

At least acknowledge progress. I've seen the tree grow in real tropical climates not the kind in jos. Meanwhile you don't know my geo location.

1 Like

Re: The Apple Project by nurey(m): 9:51am On May 08, 2021
snipesdam:

At least acknowledge progress. I've seen the tree grow in real tropical climates not the kind in jos. Meanwhile you don't know my geo location.

Yes you have achieved a feat seed germination against all odds and I commend you for that.

The fruiting on the field is the real icing on the cake.
Re: The Apple Project by Attit: 11:11am On May 08, 2021
snipesdam:

You should know that any apple seed that grows and bears fruit would not give you same fruit or taste as main fruit which the seeds came from. The seeds always give a new variety. However, this seeds came from Fuji variety.
You head dey there my guy. Very nice one for tropics.

It is what I want to say. You cannot get the exact gene copy from the seeds. This is why apple is grown from tissue, budding, cutting, or grafting. The fruits produced may even be deformed. It is not really worth it growing from seeds.
Re: The Apple Project by Ebookherbs(m): 5:06pm On May 08, 2021
i really love apples

1 Like

Re: The Apple Project by Zenithh: 3:16am On Jun 04, 2021
So what happened to this project?
How’s is it going Snipes

(1) (Reply)

Local Turkeys That Were Bred In A Hygienic Condition / Can This Place Be Used For A Poultry Business? Please Advice Me. Thanks. / Where Can An Animal Nutrition Degree Holder Work In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.